KiTine

K1 Visa Joint Sponsorship Question - Unusual Circumstances

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

My fiance and I are looking at how we can go together to the US. We both currently live in Kenya. He is a citizen of Tanzania and I am a naturally-born USC. We have a infant son together with dual citizenship.

When we have been researching the K1 fiance visa we were troubled by the financial requirements. I am a recent graduate from a US university, working online as a freelancer currently. I do not have tax returns from the last 3 years and my current job may or may not put us over the poverty line if we moved to the US, although I know I am employable within the US.

However, my father's income would easily cover the requirements for our combined households until I was able to earn my own income. I have been researching and many people have said that joint sponsorship is usually accepted, although it's not legally enforceable nor does it legally have to be accepted. In a case like mine does it sound like they would accept it, especially as I only graduated in December 2014 and have been living abroad since then?

Thank you,

Christine

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You will need to file your taxes no matter what.

K1 seems slightly odd choice but you will whatever need a US Domicile, plenty of threads about that.

Do not believe a Joint Sponsor is an issue at that Consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You will need to file your taxes no matter what.

K1 seems slightly odd choice but you will whatever need a US Domicile, plenty of threads about that.

Do not believe a Joint Sponsor is an issue at that Consulate.

Do you mean that the affidavit of support requires me to have have tax records? Does it matter how old they are?

We have to do a K1 visa as it is very difficult for us to get married here as foreigners. Here he will need family approval for marriage, but there are some issues there for us... I do have a permanent address in the US, so that is not a problem.

Timeline

Currently you do not need last years, but will soon.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Do you mean that the affidavit of support requires me to have have tax records? Does it matter how old they are?

We have to do a K1 visa as it is very difficult for us to get married here as foreigners. Here he will need family approval for marriage, but there are some issues there for us... I do have a permanent address in the US, so that is not a problem.

You will need tax returns for the last three years or a valid reason why you were not required to file one.

It's a surprise to most US citizens that they have to file US tax returns while living abroad and earning only abroad. The US tax system is different from most countries.

If you made more than $7000 in 2015, you will need to file a 2015 US tax return. With the Foreign Earend Income Credit, you will not owe any taxes if you made less than $90,000.

Edited by aaron2020

You will need tax returns for the last three years or a valid reason why you were not required to file one.

It's a surprise to most US citizens that they have to file US tax returns while living abroad and earning only abroad. The US tax system is different from most countries.

If you made more than $7000 in 2015, you will need to file a 2015 US tax return. With the Foreign Earend Income Credit, you will not owe any taxes if you made less than $90,000.

Yes, that's what my previous research told me as well. The thing is that I did not make more than $7,000 in 2015 or any other year that I have lived in Kenya, so I have not filed any tax returns. The cost of living is much lower here, and with a new-born baby I did not get much work done! Is it still advisable to file just for the sake of having the paperwork, even though my total earnings were below the requirement?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Yes, that's what my previous research told me as well. The thing is that I did not make more than $7,000 in 2015 or any other year that I have lived in Kenya, so I have not filed any tax returns. The cost of living is much lower here, and with a new-born baby I did not get much work done! Is it still advisable to file just for the sake of having the paperwork, even though my total earnings were below the requirement?

No. Just include a signed statement that your income was below the threshold requiring you to file US tax returns for the last 3 years.

Timeline

No. Just include a signed statement that your income was below the threshold requiring you to file US tax returns for the last 3 years.

According to what the OP said it was/is not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.