Ahmed Owian

Extension letter inquiry (split thread)

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thought Obama would change all this since he is so hep on bringing refugees here and legalizing illegals, forgive me about not being politically correct.

When we submitted our AOS, in less than two week received a notice from the USCIS that my wife and her daughter were legal to stay here, but took darn near a year before we got our AOS interview, during the time, our hands were tied, without green cards and the American Patriot Act, couldn't do anything. Least my wife had an international driver's license that my insurance company recognized so she could legally drive.

And for some strange reason, neither had to carry that NOA stating they were legal to stay here. Then this same BS again with the ROC, submitted our I-751 a full 89 days ahead, only to receive that one year extension notice, but this time, they were required to carry this with them just like their now expired green card. I just made a copy of it, a very valuable very large piece of paper, but we had to take the original with us when traveling abroad.

We sent in all the evidence required, no RFE's but then that year went by, still no ten year card, had to make another 450 mile trip to get I-551 stamps in their foreign passport books, Its not up to the USCIS to keep yourself legal, it is up to us. And try to explain to other governmental agencies this one year extension notice and an I-551 like SS and the DMV when they never even heard of the USCIS, also your employer.

But we did receive our biometric appointments early so we thought we were going to get those ten year cards before the conditionals expired. And isn't a conditional permanent resident card a contradiction in terms?

Does take an effort to type out that one year extension notice plus mailed first class mail, something else ironic, we always sent our forms in certified mail with a return receipt as proof they were sent in, but all these important documents were sent in untraceable first class mail. Why can't they just send that ten year card and save all this extra work?

But this is how they operate and has been this way ever since 1988 when our congress passed this conditional residence law, and even if your marriage does not work out like you hoped it would, immigrant is still given three options to stay here.

Discussed these issues with both my senator and congressman, both agreed it is ridiculous, both said, way to busy with Iraq, what about us?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.