hopeful 4 XMas

Tourist Visa for Mother Inlaw, wife going to Nursing school

11 posts in this topic

I know the title sounds a little confusing.

Wife came here last year on Fiancee Visa, wife is pregnant and about two weeks from due date to deliver our baby. We want mother-inlaw to come visit for as long as possible late next summer, because my wife wants to go to Nursing school. I read the USCIS info. about tourist Visa nd six month maximum stay and we can request permission for her to stay longer and need to do so 45 days prior to 6 month mark.

Note: wife has an engineering degree so she has the math, science, chemistry, biology knowledge and smarts and such to do and an accelerated nursing program of 18 months.

Question is; When mother inlaw applies for tourist visa should she state she is coming to watch grand daughter while daughter goes to nursing school or will that be a red flag that she will want to over stay her visit or should she state it is to come visit her grand daughter and that her daughter is busy going to nursing school and cannot take to time to visit Philippines for a couple of years and husband is busy at his job and cannot take a prolonged vacation at this this time either.

We do not want to step across the line here, we only want grandma to come stay long enough to help watch grand daughter while my wife goes through nursing school, the longer she can stay the better especially since wife is about to deliver in two weeks or so, We would like mother inlaw to stay for about nine months we would fly her both ways and after nine month we would fly her home and then back again if she is willing to come for another six - nine months.

if we have to we will fly back and forth as a few times over a two year period, it would be cheaper to pay her airline tickets than to pay for child care plus wife and I do not want infant daughter being taken care of by anyone except us, or a relative or close personal friend.

any advice from those who have been through this

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your mother in law cannot watch her granddaughter on a tourist visa, no matter if it is for a few weeks or many months. That is considered work (since, if she was not there, a daycare or nanny would be used).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Ditto Penguin as well as you need to understand mother-in-law can get UP TO six months on her stay, six months is the longest given. An extension is usually only granted in exceptional cases such as serious illness of themself or a close family member or a medical condition that prevents them from traveling. Even then, assuming she gets a tourist visa and gets the six months stay that does not mean she can hop a plane, leave the US for a few days or weeks and then come back for another six months. It is a tourist visa to visit not to live or work in the US.

Assuming she doesn't already have a tourist visa she will need to show strong ties to her country such as employment, home, family, business, etc. in order to obtain one. It sounds like she doesn't have these ties.

MAN. we only want is best for daughter while trying to make a good living and look out for her future at the same time.

I understand it is technically called work. Mother inlaw has not intention of staying forever. We were only trying to figure out a way to make this all work.

Mother inlaw does have strong ties back home, she has four other Daughters there and son all grown, with children. She manages my wife's boarding house for us, and is very active in her church. She had agreed if we can arrange it only because like us she does not want her grand daughter watched by strangers in her early years. Wife and I plan to retire to Philippines in 8 years, she is a few years younger than me, we are trying to maximize our income over next 8 years and at the same time watch over daughter to be as well as possible.

Yeah I guess what we are doing would be obvious, even though she would not be paid, except we would cover all of her expenses. She would not be burden on our government, just a house guess who is baby sitting is all.

I guess we will try to get her tourist visa and if it get it approved have her come for the first six months while our daughter is still under one year old, then return home and come back during the last critical six months of school and figure out something with a trusted friend in the middle time frame or maybe I can adjust my schedule where I work or get a transfer to another department where I can change my schedule.

thanks for the input, it helps us.

Good luck. Sounds like you are going to do it anyway, regardless of what people have said.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

we are going to process the tourist visa and have mother inlaw come stay with us for a while is all. if she cannot work we will not let her work. I am not going to tell her she cannot play with grand daughter while she is here either.

we will not know until process the papers and she goes for an interview. Right?

Filed: Timeline

we are going to process the tourist visa and have mother inlaw come stay with us for a while is all. if she cannot work we will not let her work. I am not going to tell her she cannot play with grand daughter while she is here either.

we will not know until process the papers and she goes for an interview. Right?

When she goes to her interview just make sure her answer to the question of what is the purpose of her visit is not 'to look after my grand daughter' as yes technically that is considered work so it will be a swift denial.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A tourist vis is just that it's a visa to visit not to watch your children and or work lots of people have to hire someone to watch there kids while there working and going to school it's not uncommon and they turn out just finne why would you think your child is any different if your rely worried about daycare just get a live in nanny or put school off till the child is a little older it's like after your wife is done with school and goes to work to be a nurse then what do you plan on doing with your child ? At some point you will need a nanny or daycare unless you bring the mother here percent and that could take a very long time

Thanks we will make sure she is well briefed. Her urpose is to see her latest grand daughter and Daughter who she has not seen in five year's and oh yes her new son inlaw who she has never met in person and she will them it is cheaper for her to fly over and visit us than the for three of us to fly over and see them.

I will send her an email or letter from work inviting her to come and visit and state how we are looking forward to her brief holiday visit.

A tourist vis is just that it's a visa to visit not to watch your children and or work lots of people have to hire someone to watch there kids while there working and going to school it's not uncommon and they turn out just finne why would you think your child is any different if your rely worried about daycare just get a live in nanny or put school off till the child is a little older it's like after your wife is done with school and goes to work to be a nurse then what do you plan on doing with your child ? At some point you will need a nanny or daycare unless you bring the mother here percent and that could take a very long time

Ask most Filipinos and they will tell you it is tradition and culture for family, or tradition for Grandma to watch the grand children in these kind of situations. My wife wants to spend some time with her mom as well, my wife worked abroad 12 of the last 14 years and has only been home twice in the last 14 years. last time was when her father died almost six years ago.

we do not think we are special it is just what we think is best.

What will we do when the wife finishes nursing school, wife has said she will work 7pm to 7am 3 -4 days a week or 3 / 12 hr shifts friday thru sunday or saturday thru monday. there lot of nurses who want the weekends off to be with their husbands. I can get compressed work schedule and work 4 / 10 hr days. Plus i earn 5 weeks vacation a year and will go up to 6 weeks in 2 years. so we will get lots of time together. Like i mentioned above we plan for me to retire in just over 7 years and move to the philippines, we are just trying to figure out a way to sack away as much casha s we cna between now and then. when we move there i will manage our businesses there we have in place while wife starts up a new one. We have three relatives that are nurses, wife is well aware of their schedules.

As you can see a lot of thought has gone into this, we have plan, tweaking it as we go.

yes we will probably some daycare in time, but we want to keep it to a minimum, especially in the early years. It is our preference

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** this thread is closed for discussing illegal immigration activity. Do not re-start this thread. *******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.