nachocheese

Question with timing of Police Certificates

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My fiancee and I currently live in China together. She is Japanese and I am an American citizen.

We just got our NOA2 for the I-129F and are starting to anticipate some of the other material that we have to put together for the consulate interview (we are planning to do it in Tokyo).

One area of concern is the "certificate of no criminal activity" that she has to get for every country that she has lived for more than six months. For her- this is USA, China, and Japan. Japan and USA should not be an issue- but the timing of the China certificate is somewhat ambiguous.

I plan on staying in China until late February and she plans to go back to Japan in March and then on to USA in May (or whenever the visa is approved). For the Chinese police certificate, does she have to get that after she returns to Japan? Can she get the Chinese police certificate now, live in China for a few more months, and then use the certificate from December/January for the visa application even after returning to Japan?

I realize this is a somewhat oddball question and appreciate any insight that people have to give.

Best Regards,

Tim

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You don't need one from the U.S. so there's one worry off you. They do their own screens.

She can get it before she leaves, but do it as close as you comfortably can to her departure date from China.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

P.S. Keep in mind you only have 4 months after approval until the petition expires, so unless she is going through the Consulate in China, you may be pushing it. Someone from the Japan forum be able to answer how easy it is to get an extension.

Edited by p1nkmamba

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

We figured Japan consulate was a safer bet for the interview as Japan is somewhat of a "low fraud" country. China's embassy is also in a weird place (Guangzhou)- so travel from Shanghai is about the same to either Guangzhou or Tokyo.

We can take a asynchronous visit to Tokyo for the interview- that's no problem. She can also go over to USA early without a problem. The problem is more having the China police certificate on a skewed date from when she actually leaves China. I wonder if the Japanese consulate is going to ask something like "Did she commit some crime after she got the police certificate!?".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.