pochemuchka

Obama's Address to the Nation RE: K1 Visa

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

The k1 visa got a bad reputation for sure after what happened in San Bernardino. And it pisses me off because the majority of the people in this website are honest people.

A neighbor of my in laws works at the USCIS (honestly I dont know in what position) but told me is going to get harder for middle east countries to get visas including k1

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The k1 visa got a bad reputation for sure after what happened in San Bernardino. And it pisses me off because the majority of the people in this website are honest people.

A neighbor of my in laws works at the USCIS (honestly I dont know in what position) but told me is going to get harder for middle east countries to get visas including k1

What's wild is after all these years on these forums the worst people could imagine or say was "He /she is using you for a green card". "No way a young man will stay faithful to an older woman". "He is scamming you."

Now they have put a whole new dialog into the immigration mix. I know they have talked for the last few years to get rid of K1 because its getting too easy I guess (You know do a K1 go visit met the requirement and they will be here in under 6 months).

I am sure once they peel back the layers they will see immigration has made it hard for some and harder if not impossible for others.

And those idiot non-knowing Immigration experts" out there will say stupid things as we shake our heads.

I guarantee you this website for sure is on the Homeland Security radar. More so now then ever before. :reading:

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

This truly is disheartening. Jon and I still have yet to file and the overall ignorance of the American public will continue to make it more difficult for all of us! To hear that they are looking into redoing the VWP will make it so I may have to possibly cancel my upcoming visit in April or postpone it. I always felt that we were a lucky couple since it was so easy for us to visit one another thanks to the VWP but since they are already attempting to put through legislation for change I just want to cry in a corner somewhere. I hope it doesn't get taken away or made even more difficult, but we shall see.

We will have to have a serious talk tonight about all of this since I know its not covered in his news nearly as much as it would be here. We weren't planning to file until after my Visit in April 2016, but I am so afraid to wait now... I am just so happy that a lot of the forum has been able to get through the process already and I wish God Speed to all who have recently filed in the middle of this mess!!!

It is just crazy to think that 1 bad apple over the millions of people who have done the K1 process with NO issues whatsoever will cause such radical changes.... why does our country have to overreact to absolutely everything?!?!

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

This truly is disheartening. Jon and I still have yet to file and the overall ignorance of the American public will continue to make it more difficult for all of us! To hear that they are looking into redoing the VWP will make it so I may have to possibly cancel my upcoming visit in April or postpone it. I always felt that we were a lucky couple since it was so easy for us to visit one another thanks to the VWP but since they are already attempting to put through legislation for change I just want to cry in a corner somewhere. I hope it doesn't get taken away or made even more difficult, but we shall see.

We will have to have a serious talk tonight about all of this since I know its not covered in his news nearly as much as it would be here. We weren't planning to file until after my Visit in April 2016, but I am so afraid to wait now... I am just so happy that a lot of the forum has been able to get through the process already and I wish God Speed to all who have recently filed in the middle of this mess!!!

It is just crazy to think that 1 bad apple over the millions of people who have done the K1 process with NO issues whatsoever will cause such radical changes.... why does our country have to overreact to absolutely everything?!?!

Following the terrorist attacks in Paris, France on November 13, 2015, the Obama Administration has indicated it is working with Congress to “aggressively strengthen its Visa Waiver Program.” Some of the immediately implemented changes to the program include modificiations to the ESTA applications to capture past travel to countries constituting a terrorist safe haven, and identify pilot programs designed to collect and use biometrics, i.e. fingerprints and photographs. Future changes to the program are expected to include heftier fines for carriers to fail to verify passenger data, a review of the countries currently on the designated list, identifying countries that are deficient in key areas of cooperation, and better cooperation between the Department of Homeland Security, FBI, and US Intelligence teams to deploy Foreign Fighter Surge Teams to work with countries to counter terrorist travel.

I don't see how VWP travel will affect you if you have not been to Middle East Countries.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

They won't be getting rid of the VWP. If it passes (which it very well may not), you will only be affected if you meet certain criteria. Please read about the bill (and perhaps consider refraining referring to the "ignorance" of an entire group of people if you yourself leap to huge conclusions such as this before looking for/understanding details). They are discussing denying VWP privileges to anyone who has been to Iraq or Syria in the past 5 years. If you haven't, then nothing will change for you. If you have (and this bill passes) then you'd to apply for a B-2 visa like the entire rest of the world. And I suspect that if you're able to demonstrate that you've not been radicalized by ISIS, you'd get it easily.

Eventually, they may start to add other countries to the list and/or deny VWP privileges to dual citizens of VWP countries and certain (or all) other countries, but for right now, they just want to make sure that if you've been to Iraq or Syria since ISIS started becoming a thing, that you need to apply for a visa before coming here. Note: they are not denying entry. They are denying visa-free entry, and only if you've purposefully traveled to a terrorism hotspot recently. They'd like the opportunity to investigate why.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/12/08/house-readies-a-bipartisan-press-to-tighten-visa-waiver-program/?_r=0

Edited to add: "made even more difficult"? What, specifically, is burdensome about the VWP? I've traveled visa-free to 20-odd different countries (the essential equivalent of the VWP) and have never once found the process difficult. The few times I did need a visa, it was a bit of a pain but nothing "difficult". I'm mind-boggled about what you find difficult about VWP.

Edited by CatherineA

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Merrytooth,

Thank you for the update. I am currently swamped at work and have only been able to read the news regarding the correction to K1 but I have not had time to read the bill or the proposed changes as of yet so I appreciate you providing me a simple break down of the upcoming legislation.

CatherineA,

I don't appreciate the demeanor you using in your post at all. When I say general ignorance of the American public I am referring to every other person who has no experience at all with the k1 process making comments and pushing for it to be changed. I only just started getting to read or hear about the changes as of today so I myself don't have all the facts yet but I felt I needed to vent a little during this confusing time. As for me talking about VWP being more difficult, if you read the sentence it is talking about in the future. The VWP is super simple as of now and since I never had to apply for a visitor visa I don't know if the process is difficult or not, but seeing how many times our own forum members have been denied a visitor visa it makes me worry about it, since currently it is very easy for us to go back and forth which is why I felt very lucky until this came where it could become more difficult in the future.

Overall thanks to Merrytooth's response I am far less worried about having to cancel my trip since neither Jon nor myself have ever traveled to the Middle East. I am just hopeful that this does not affect future k1's for all members who haven't filed. I was already starting to worry since there is so much anti-immigration being felt around the country now and the new candidates seem to be against immigration at all and I fear a change incoming like they made in the UK where its practically impossible for someone to bring in their non-EU family. That is something I would hate to see here!

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

What?

What rights are illegals given that you are missing out on?

Also no one EVER said anything about ending the K-1 process all together. That's ridiculous.

Not sure what news channel you are watching, but I would rethink it...

Well first of all I have never heard of an illegal alien having to agree not to accept public assistance to live here. In fact many of them take all the public assistance they can get. On the other hand sponsors for K1 and CR1 visa recipients have to not only prove they meet a certain income level but sign forms stating that the visa recipient will not accept any public assistance or the sponsor can be held financially responsible for it. Not to mention they don't have to wait a year or more in some cases to come here and be with their loved ones while the government collects thousands of dollars from their sponsors and drags their feet processing their applications.

I am a natural born US citizen and sometimes I feel like illegals have more rights than I do. Have you ever heard about the cases of illegals being stopped for drunk driving and other crimes and just being let go without jail time or any sort of fines? If you are a US citizen or legal immigrant for that matter they throw the book at you (as they should). Also last time I checked when most US citizens or legal immigrants get a job they have to pay taxes. Not so for many illegals. Not to mention the free state college tuition many illegals recieve. I could go on but I will leave it at that for now.

Many so called "liberals" want wide open borders. Many so called "conservatives" want to end all immigration all together. I think both views are totally insane. Don't get me wrong. I sympathize with many illegals coming from Mexico wanting to work hard and loking for a better life. I think the legal immigration process should be more streamlined to give them that oppurtunity. However having wide open borders where anyone can just come here and not be in the system like the rest of us paying taxes and allowing them to collect welfare checks is insanity. This country was built by immigrants but at the same time we can't just allow anyone to come here unchecked.

As far as ending K1 visas goes I have heard many people I know peronally talk about it as well as some politicians and media personalities. Like I stated above some politicians want to end all immigration all together. Maybe it isn't in the "mainstream" discussin but lets not pretend it isn't talked about at all.

Edited by jg121783

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Merrytooth,

Thank you for the update. I am currently swamped at work and have only been able to read the news regarding the correction to K1 but I have not had time to read the bill or the proposed changes as of yet so I appreciate you providing me a simple break down of the upcoming legislation.

CatherineA,

I don't appreciate the demeanor you using in your post at all. When I say general ignorance of the American public I am referring to every other person who has no experience at all with the k1 process making comments and pushing for it to be changed. I only just started getting to read or hear about the changes as of today so I myself don't have all the facts yet but I felt I needed to vent a little during this confusing time. As for me talking about VWP being more difficult, if you read the sentence it is talking about in the future. The VWP is super simple as of now and since I never had to apply for a visitor visa I don't know if the process is difficult or not, but seeing how many times our own forum members have been denied a visitor visa it makes me worry about it, since currently it is very easy for us to go back and forth which is why I felt very lucky until this came where it could become more difficult in the future.

Overall thanks to Merrytooth's response I am far less worried about having to cancel my trip since neither Jon nor myself have ever traveled to the Middle East. I am just hopeful that this does not affect future k1's for all members who haven't filed. I was already starting to worry since there is so much anti-immigration being felt around the country now and the new candidates seem to be against immigration at all and I fear a change incoming like they made in the UK where its practically impossible for someone to bring in their non-EU family. That is something I would hate to see here!

Yes, I realize that you were talking about the future. But the phrase "even more" is a phrase that compares it to the situation as it is in the present, implying that it is already very difficult.

"Made difficult" would imply that something that is not currently difficult will be made difficult in the future. "Made more difficult" would mean that something that is currently difficult would be made moreso. "Made even more difficult" would mean that something that is currently very difficult would be made even more so. You, whether you meant to or not, implied that it was already a burdensome process and that these changes may make it "even more" so for you.

And I'm sorry you don't care for my demeanor but I don't care for Chicken Littles completely misunderstanding (or not trying to understand) current events/US law getting themselves and maybe others into a panic. If something sounds completely crazy (like canceling the VWP), it more than likely *is* completely crazy. And that means either (1) you don't know what is going on or (2) some whackjob politician said something to get attention but his crazy scheme has a zero percent chance of getting traction. So, step one-- read and find out what is going on and step two-- if it involves some whackjob politician, ignore it and carry on with your life.

Yes, there's anti-immigration sentiment in this country now. Always has been, always will be and is in your country as well, and pretty much every country on this planet (in significantly greater degrees than exists in the US). Yes, many of the presidential candidates are saying very crazy things. But what on earth does that have to do with anything? None of them would be president for another 13 months anyway and the president doesn't make the laws. Congress makes the laws. This is the not-so-secret secret of getting elected president. Make a million huge sweeping promises, and don't have to keep them because you're a president not a dictator, and then you can blame Congress for things not getting done.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Well first of all I have never heard of an illegal alien having to agree not to accept public assistance to live here. In fact many of them take all the public assistance they can get. On the other hand sponsors for K1 and CR1 visa recipients have to not only prove they meet a certain income level but sign forms stating that the visa recipient will not accept any public assistance or the sponsor can be held financially responsible for it. Not to mention they don't have to wait a year or more in some cases to come here and be with their loved ones while the government collects thousands of dollars from their sponsors and drags their feet processing their applications.

I am a natural born US citizen and sometimes I feel like illegals have more rights than I do. Have you ever heard about the cases of illegals being stopped for drunk driving and other crimes and just being let go without jail time or any sort of fines? If you are a US citizen or legal immigrant for that matter they throw the book at you (as they should). Also last time I checked when most US citizens or legal immigrants get a job they have to pay taxes. Not so for many illegals. Not to mention the free state college tuition many illegals recieve. I could go on but I will leave it at that for now.

Many so called "liberals" want wide open borders. Many so called "conservatives" want to end all immigration all together. I think both views are totally insane. Don't get me wrong. I sympathize with many illegals coming from Mexico wanting to work hard and loking for a better life. I think the legal immigration process should be more streamlined to give them that oppurtunity. However having wide open borders where anyone can just come here and not be in the system like the rest of us paying taxes and allowing them to collect welfare checks is insanity. This country was built by immigrants but at the same time we can't just allow anyone to come here unchecked.

As far as ending K1 visas goes I have heard many people I know peronally talk about it as well as some politicians and media personalities. Like I stated above some politicians want to end all immigration all together. Maybe it isn't in the "mainstream" discussin but lets not pretend it isn't talked about at all.

The things you mentioned aren't considered "rights". True, there are steps that people don't have to go through when they come to the U.S. outside the law, but they aren't granted any extra rights. Your logic is like saying someone who stole a car has more rights than someone who bought one legally because they don't have to register it or sign up and pay insurance on it.

And yes people are talking about getting rid of the K-1 visa. People are talking about a lot of things. There are people who have talked about getting rid of the entire U.S. government and people who are talking about getting rid of all national borders and creating one global society. It's not helpful to anyone here to spread paranoia about every little thing that get's talked about, especially if you are portraying these ideas as things that could reasonably happen. They will not get rid of the entire K-1 visa process, no matter how many people are apparently talking about. Please

don't try to mislead people into that they will. It won't contribute to anything other than fear and ignorance.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

They are discussing denying VWP privileges to anyone who has been to Iraq or Syria in the past 5 years. If you haven't, then nothing will change for you. If you have (and this bill passes) then you'd to apply for a B-2 visa like the entire rest of the world. And I suspect that if you're able to demonstrate that you've not been radicalized by ISIS, you'd get it easily.

I doubt this is the scope of the discussion. If VWP was denied to people that had previously traveled to Iraq and/or Syria in the past five years, these two nut jobs would not have hit any screening and weren't the Paris shooters of Moroccan descent? Did any of them travel?

I sounds like an unnecessary step that might not stop much. I assumed (which I could be wrong on) that Border Control reviewed passports for previous foreign travel and could reject a VWP if they suspected anything? I thought they had a lot of leeway on their discretion?

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

i am really sad and crying i love my fiance and we have been thinking when to get marry but every time i lose when i see my case is still under AP what i do i am a stright person who havnt seen any happiness but now my happiness is my fiance idk why this all happening my case status is not changing till 23 nov is still under Ap my interview was on 27 august but on 18 nov my date creation changed and my case was ready same day it was under AP and on monday 23 nov again went to ready in evening status canged into AP and still is under AP what i do now i know how it fells when u r away

I doubt this is the scope of the discussion. If VWP was denied to people that had previously traveled to Iraq and/or Syria in the past five years, these two nut jobs would not have hit any screening and weren't the Paris shooters of Moroccan descent? Did any of them travel?

I sounds like an unnecessary step that might not stop much. I assumed (which I could be wrong on) that Border Control reviewed passports for previous foreign travel and could reject a VWP if they suspected anything? I thought they had a lot of leeway on their discretion?

You can doubt it all you want but that is very much what they are talking about.

Here is the House bill:

https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/hr4173/BILLS-114hr4173ih.pdf

And here is the Senate bill:

https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/s2337/BILLS-114s2337is.pdf

Those are the bipartisan bills that the NYT article I linked this morning refer to. The ones that they are so sure will pass that they've been put on an expedited calendar.

You remain confused about the fact that there are two different discussions happening about changes to visa programs right now.

Conversation #1-- Change the VWP rules as a result of the Paris attack (all but one of the attackers had a VWP country passport. People don't like the idea that they could have traveled visa-free to the US instead). This is what Congress is addressing, and very soon (maybe by the end of this week). No, this would not have caught the San Bernardino crazies. But that's not what the focus of this proposed change is. Paris happened a month before San Bernardino. Congress doesn't work that fast.

Conversation #2-- Change or eliminate the K1 as a result of the San Bernidino attack. So far, it's mostly just a bunch of media types or social media folks blowing a lot of hot air and completely misunderstanding this visa (and the President mentioning it on Sunday but bungling his words and saying "visa waiver program" instead).

In time, I would not be surprised if Congress looks into changing this visa, too. I sincerely doubt that they would eliminate it. I do believe that it would affect ALL family visas, not just K1s. K1s are getting all the attention because it's what this crazy lady got here on, and it sounds fairly uncontrolled (particularly when you have "news outlets" getting facts entirely incorrect). But "the conversation" about K1s right now is just talk. There is no Congressional action so far. And any changes require Congressional action.

Edited by CatherineA

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

!

You remain confused about the fact that there are two different discussions happening about changes to visa programs right now.

Conversation #1-- Change the VWP rules as a result of the Paris attack (all but one of the attackers had a VWP country passport. People don't like the idea that they could have traveled visa-free to the US instead). This is what Congress is addressing, and very soon (maybe by the end of this week). No, this would not have caught the San Bernardino crazies. But that's not what the focus of this proposed change is. Paris happened a month before San Bernardino. Congress doesn't work that fast.

Conversation #2-- Change or eliminate the K1 as a result of the San Bernidino attack. So far, it's mostly just a bunch of media types or social media folks blowing a lot of hot air and completely misunderstanding this visa (and the President mentioning it on Sunday but bungling his words and saying "visa waiver program" instead).

In time, I would not be surprised if Congress looks into changing this visa, too. I sincerely doubt that they would eliminate it. I do believe that it would affect ALL family visas, not just K1s. K1s are getting all the attention because it's what this crazy lady got here on, and it sounds fairly uncontrolled (particularly when you have "news outlets" getting facts entirely incorrect). But "the conversation" about K1s right now is just talk. There is no Congressional action so far. And any changes require Congressional action.

I remain confused about nothing.

You may recall that I posted a link (with exact time tags) of the President's speech this past weekend, and I remarked the discrepancy.

Further, S. 2337 is not just limited to Iraq and Syria, so my doubt was very much substantiated.

Signature coming soon...

I remain confused about nothing.

You may recall that I posted a link (with exact time tags) of the President's speech this past weekend, and I remarked the discrepancy.

Further, S. 2337 is not just limited to Iraq and Syria, so my doubt was very much substantiated.

If you are not confused, then why would you remark on a discussion about denying VWP privileges to those who have recently traveled to Iraq or Syria with "these two nut jobs would not have hit any screening" (referring to the California couple)? That is a completely different conversation. It is happening now because getting things through Congress takes time. Paris happened 5 weeks ago, and that is why the bill addressing the security loophole that would help prevent the Paris attackers from coming here is happening this week.

Yes, the Paris shooters were of Moroccan decent. But they were French and Belgian citizens. Meaning they had French and Beligan passports. Which means that they could have traveled visa-free to the US. Which is why the current push to change the VWP.

Yes, I do recall that and that is why I think that you are very confused. You were convinced that the President was referring to the Visa Waiver Program in that specific speech on Sunday. He wasn't. He was referring to the K1 visa. But he misspoke. That woman came in on a K1, not the VWP, as he accidentally stated. Now, just because he misspoke, does not mean that they are not ALSO looking at the VWP. Just that's not what he was talking about at that point in the speech.

So, you said that doubted that they were discussing denying VWP to people who recently traveled to Iraq and Syria. But now you're saying that your reason for doubting that that's what they're talking about is that they're not talking about ONLY Iraq and Syria?

Did you read any farther than the summaries of the bills? Because the first line of Page 2 is "SEC. 2. VISA REQUIRED FOR ALIENS WHO RECENTLY TRAVELED TO IRAQ, SYRIA, OR CERTAIN OTHER DESTINATIONS." And then if you read a bit further you will see that Iraq and Syria are the only two named counties now, and that Congress is leaving room for the Secretary of State to add countries to this list as he or she sees fit. But, for now, Iraq and Syria.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

!

If you are not confused, then why would you remark on a discussion about denying VWP privileges to those who have recently traveled to Iraq or Syria with "these two nut jobs would not have hit any screening" (referring to the California couple)? That is a completely different conversation. It is happening now because getting things through Congress takes time. Paris happened 5 weeks ago, and that is why the bill addressing the security loophole that would help prevent the Paris attackers from coming here is happening this week.

Yes, the Paris shooters were of Moroccan decent. But they were French and Belgian citizens. Meaning they had French and Beligan passports. Which means that they could have traveled visa-free to the US. Which is why the current push to change the VWP.

Yes, I do recall that and that is why I think that you are very confused. You were convinced that the President was referring to the Visa Waiver Program in that specific speech on Sunday. He wasn't. He was referring to the K1 visa. But he misspoke. That woman came in on a K1, not the VWP, as he accidentally stated. Now, just because he misspoke, does not mean that they are not ALSO looking at the VWP. Just that's not what he was talking about at that point in the speech.

So, you said that doubted that they were discussing denying VWP to people who recently traveled to Iraq and Syria. But now you're saying that your reason for doubting that that's what they're talking about is that they're not talking about ONLY Iraq and Syria?

Did you read any farther than the summaries of the bills? Because the first line of Page 2 is "SEC. 2. VISA REQUIRED FOR ALIENS WHO RECENTLY TRAVELED TO IRAQ, SYRIA, OR CERTAIN OTHER DESTINATIONS." And then if you read a bit further you will see that Iraq and Syria are the only two named counties now, and that Congress is leaving room for the Secretary of State to add countries to this list as he or she sees fit. But, for now, Iraq and Syria.

No, Catherine, you are confused on my statement.

The fact is that the President said VWP. You missed the part where I suggested he misspoke as she entered as K-1. I really, really don't appreciate it when people try to put words in my mouth. Please don't try to do so - it's not a good look.

To your second point - wow - just wow! You are literally arguing my own point to me. Yes, I totally agree with what I said earlier - I highly doubt if Congress is limiting the scope to only Iraq and Syria. If you wish to prove me right again, you are more than welcome to do so.

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.