Thursday: -
Friday: -

We have the following naturalization ceremonies scheduled:

None

Good luck, to me!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Thank you all for the good luck wishes.

I had my interview this morning and I was recommended for approval.

My appointment was for 8:30 at the new USCIS office on Gears Road in north Houston. I walked into the building at 8:10, went through a security checkpoint, and turned in my interview letter at the front desk. There was no line, and I was asked to wait in one of two waiting areas in a large open room. One waiting area was for naturalization interviews and the other was for infopass appointments. Every now and then, a number would be called, and someone in the Infopass area would be told to go to one of the windows around the room. The naturalization interviewees were called by name and told to go to a door where an officer was waiting. I waited for about an hour (so about 40 minutes after my appointment time) before my name was called. My interviewer met me at the door, introduced herself, and chatted while we walked back to her office. By any measure, she was friendly, but by USCIS standards, she was positively bubbly. When we got to her office, she asked me to sit down and give her my green card, passport, and driver’s license. She then asked me to stand so she could place me under oath.

We started with the testing portion of the interview. She asked me the following six questions:

- What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?

- How many amendments does the Constitution have?

- What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?

- What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?

- Why did the colonists fight the British?

- What is the highest court in the United States?

She then said, “This is going to be very elementary for you” and moved to the language test.

She asked me to read: “What country is north of the United States?”

She asked me to write “Canada is north of the United States”

We went through the application page by page. She went over my legal name and had some questions as to what my birth name was (I had a translated copy of my birth certificate with me and she took this). We went over all the biographic information and she double-checked my name change request. I told her at the start that I had another trip to add to my list (taken after the application was sent). I had printed this correction out for her and she took the new sheet and added it to my application. Going through the rest of the application, she specifically asked whether my parents were US citizens (no), whether I was currently a member of any organizations other than those listed (no), whether I had any citations within the last 5 years other than those listed (no; she didn’t seem to care about the older ones), and whether I had ever been in the military (no). Other than those specific questions, she seemed to be picking yes/no questions at random (or maybe just the ones she was interested in asking); she didn’t ask all of them. She did not ask me for any additional documentation. She asked me if I understood the oath and then asked me to sign my application in two places.

After that, she printed out three sheets of paper. The first two were for the name change and were identical. She asked me to sign both with my current name and reminded me that my name would not legally change until the ceremony. The third sheet of paper had my biographical information on it and was stapled to a small ziplock bag with my photos in it (that’s how I had attached the photos to the application). She asked me to check the information, but I looked at it and said, “My name is not Maria and I’m not from El Salvador”; she had attached the photos to the wrong piece of paper. She laughed, corrected this and gave me the right paper to check.

At this point she told me that everything looked good and she gave me the N-652 form stating that I had passed the English and civics tests and that my application was recommended for approval. She said that I should get an oath letter in the mail and that it was important to show up at the time indicated on the letter because it takes hours to get everyone checked in. She said that they were not having people wait for letters today (which I took to mean that they sometimes do on other days). She said that I would mostly likely be scheduled for the June 22nd ceremony, but that if not, then I would be scheduled for the July 27th ceremony.

The interview took about 30 minutes.

She walked me out to the waiting room and told me she would call me when she was done making copies of my passports (2), green card, and driver’s license. I waited for about 5 minutes before she called me back to the door, handed my documents, and told me to have a nice day.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hurray! Congratulations and thank you for your review. Hope they schedule you for June ceremony and you'll be done with immigration faster...

And like always I have a question. I don't have a driver license or any kind of state ID. Is it going to be a problem?

Timeline

Hurray! Congratulations and thank you for your review. Hope they schedule you for June ceremony and you'll be done with immigration faster...

And like always I have a question. I don't have a driver license or any kind of state ID. Is it going to be a problem?

Not everyone drives, but I think it's a good idea to get a DL, or if you can't drive, a State ID card.

Maybe you're carrying around your GC everywhere now, but that won't be the case after you're naturalized.

Now for your questions; they use the ID for two reasons; proof of identity and proof of residency. Remember that you have to reside in the state in which you apply for 3 months prior to applying.

You'll have your passport and GC, so you'll be OK as far as identity goes, but take something that shows your residence; a lease, an employment letter, something like that.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Congrats Jimmy!!

My appointment was for 8:30 at the new USCIS office on Gears Road in north Houston. I walked into the building at 8:10, went through a security checkpoint, and turned in my interview letter at the front desk. There was no line, and I was asked to wait in one of two waiting areas in a large open room. One waiting area was for naturalization interviews and the other was for infopass appointments. Every now and then, a number would be called, and someone in the Infopass area would be told to go to one of the windows around the room. The naturalization interviewees were called by name and told to go to a door where an officer was waiting. I waited for about an hour (so about 40 minutes after my appointment time) before my name was called. My interviewer met me at the door, introduced herself, and chatted while we walked back to her office. By any measure, she was friendly, but by USCIS standards, she was positively bubbly. When we got to her office, she asked me to sit down and give her my green card, passport, and driver’s license. She then asked me to stand so she could place me under oath.
We started with the testing portion of the interview. She asked me the following six questions:
She then said, “This is going to be very elementary for you” and moved to the language test.
We went through the application page by page. She went over my legal name and had some questions as to what my birth name was (I had a translated copy of my birth certificate with me and she took this). We went over all the biographic information and she double-checked my name change request. I told her at the start that I had another trip to add to my list (taken after the application was sent). I had printed this correction out for her and she took the new sheet and added it to my application. Going through the rest of the application, she specifically asked whether my parents were US citizens (no), whether I was currently a member of any organizations other than those listed (no), whether I had any citations within the last 5 years other than those listed (no; she didn’t seem to care about the older ones), and whether I had ever been in the military (no). Other than those specific questions, she seemed to be picking yes/no questions at random (or maybe just the ones she was interested in asking); she didn’t ask all of them. She did not ask me for any additional documentation. She asked me if I understood the oath and then asked me to sign my application in two places.
After that, she printed out three sheets of paper. The first two were for the name change and were identical. She asked me to sign both with my current name and reminded me that my name would not legally change until the ceremony. The third sheet of paper had my biographical information on it and was stapled to a small ziplock bag with my photos in it (that’s how I had attached the photos to the application). She asked me to check the information, but I looked at it and said, “My name is not Maria and I’m not from El Salvador”; she had attached the photos to the wrong piece of paper. She laughed, corrected this and gave me the right paper to check.
At this point she told me that everything looked good and she gave me the N-652 form stating that I had passed the English and civics tests and that my application was recommended for approval. She said that I should get an oath letter in the mail and that it was important to show up at the time indicated on the letter because it takes hours to get everyone checked in. She said that they were not having people wait for letters today (which I took to mean that they sometimes do on other days). She said that I would mostly likely be scheduled for the June 22nd ceremony, but that if not, then I would be scheduled for the July 27th ceremony.
She walked me out to the waiting room and told me she would call me when she was done making copies of my passports (2), green card, and driver’s license. I waited for about 5 minutes before she called me back to the door, handed my documents, and told me to have a nice day.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Not everyone drives, but I think it's a good idea to get a DL, or if you can't drive, a State ID card.

Maybe you're carrying around your GC everywhere now, but that won't be the case after you're naturalized.

Now for your questions; they use the ID for two reasons; proof of identity and proof of residency. Remember that you have to reside in the state in which you apply for 3 months prior to applying.

You'll have your passport and GC, so you'll be OK as far as identity goes, but take something that shows your residence; a lease, an employment letter, something like that.

Thank you, Jimmy! I'll try to pass the test for a permit this week, maybe they'll give me some kind of document that states I passed and waiting for a plastic permit card to arrive. And I'll take bills and lease with my anyway cus they all joint and I need it as a proof. Thank you again! :-)

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

Congratulations Jimmy and thank you for an in depth recount of your experience. I wonder whether they ask the same civic questions for the week or they change daily. Mine is tomorrow so looking forward to it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Congratulations Jimmy! I just passed mine last week I will update my interview soon, just kind of busy now! I will be scheduled my oath on June 22 she just said that but they will send a letter in mail just wait for it! I don't know just hope as soon as possible!

Timeline

Congrats Jimmy!!

Congratulations Jimmy and thank you for an in depth recount of your experience. I wonder whether they ask the same civic questions for the week or they change daily. Mine is tomorrow so looking forward to it.

Congratulations Jimmy

Congrats Jimmy

Congratulations Jimmy! I just passed mine last week I will update my interview soon, just kind of busy now! I will be scheduled my oath on June 22 she just said that but they will send a letter in mail just wait for it! I don't know just hope as soon as possible!

Thank you all!

mananto, it's not uncommon for those interviewed on the same day at different offices to get the same questions, but I don't know about the same week. My guess is that they have several sets of questions pre-selected for the day (or the week) and everyone gets asked one of these sets, so there's a chance that two people will get the exact same questions, but it's not guaranteed.

Angelina, hopefully you, and Boy15's parents, and I will all be at the same ceremony on the 22nd. I won't be disappointed if I have to wait until 7/27, though... I have no international travel plans until August.

Timeline

I forgot one thing... when we got to the selective service part, she asked me how old I was (I'm over 31) and then said, "OK, so this doesn't apply to you".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.