Sixer

N-400 December 2015 Filers

1,636 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

spring333,

Really sad to hear that. You nay have read my post from 2 weeks ago regarding my interview. The IO pressed me to withdraw my case or that she was going to deny my application for the fact that my wife and I are living apart due to our job situations. We both live in the same state. I told the IO I was not gonna withdraw my case without consulting my lawyer. That's when things got a little interesting. She went to get her supervisor to talk to me. I did the interview and passed all the civics and English test. My case is gonna be reviewed by another supervisor and possible by a committee. That's what my IO told me. It has been more than 2 weeks now and nothing in the mail or a status change online. I spoke to Tier2 twice and I was told my case is under review. A case inquiry has been sent to my local office and they should answer by this Friday. I plan on contacting the US Congresswoman for my district and possibly hiring an attorney.

This is the second time a December marriage-based applicant has been asked to withdraw their petition. Over the past few months, several immigration websites have reported that USCIS has been cracking down on marriage fraud... actually, maybe since the beginning of last year.

There were two cases (that I read) here on VJ where USCIS contacted the applicant's ex-wife (once in person at her home and once by phone) after the interview. There was one case I remember where the applicant was asked why her husband wasn't with her (he was at work) and asked to speak to the husband on the phone during the interview. In all three cases the applicants were approved eventually (if I remember correctly), but these were somewhat unusual experiences. So it's clear that USCIS has been, in some cases, putting more effort into investigating marriage-based applications (or 5 year applications stemming from marriage-based green cards). Perhaps the request to withdraw the application is a new tactic to help relieve the pressure? Maybe they think that if an applicant thinks they don't have a strong case they'll just go away? I'm just guessing here...

It's noteworthy though, that both our December applicants who were told to withdraw their applications were not denied at the end of the interview.

Do you, by chance, remember the user for that 5-year case that got grilled? I would like to read that thread or at least the posts of that user.

I am applying under the same rule.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello, Today I went to the SS Office to update my SS Card. They made a copy of my Naturalization Certificate and went over the address and had me sign a paper saying I told the truth on my info. I was told they would hold the documents for 10 days and then they would process them. The gentleman told me it usually took DHS 10 days to have everything in the system. So it would be up to 3 weeks before receiving it. I also went to apply for a US Passport, I had filled out the application online and I printed it . I had a passport photo made at Walgreens so when I arrived it only took 10 minutes to complete. The lady there said it would be from 4 to 6 weeks to receive the passport. They attached my original Naturalization Certificate to the application. I was told that I would receive it either with the passport or it would be mailed separately back to me. Instead of going to the DMV I called and was told my license didn't need to be changed since It didn't expire until 2023, so I'm good to go on that. Thank you all :)

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oath ceremony done and over with. I am officially a US Citizen! Thank you VJ and best of luck to all fellow December 2015 N-400 filers!

Woot Congrats!!!

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

Do you, by chance, remember the user for that 5-year case that got grilled? I would like to read that thread or at least the posts of that user.

I am applying under the same rule.

No sorry, I don't remember who it was or which month's thread they posted in... I do remember that there were several such cases in the last few months... maybe since August?

Try the VJ search tool and see what you can find... simple searches of the topics you're interested in usually return relevant posts.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Hey Everybody,

I had my interview over two weeks ago. I got the irritating letter stating Decision cannot be made. There has been no status change on my case online. I was not particularly pleased with the IO approach. She was bent on denying my case rather learning all the facts.

Do you think it is a bit premature to contact the office of the US representative representing my district? My patience is growing thinner by the day.

Timeline

Hey Everybody,

I had my interview over two weeks ago. I got the irritating letter stating Decision cannot be made. There has been no status change on my case online. I was not particularly pleased with the IO approach. She was bent on denying my case rather learning all the facts.

Do you think it is a bit premature to contact the office of the US representative representing my district? My patience is growing thinner by the day.

My opinion: Yes it's premature.

USCIS has, by law, 120 days to reach a decision on your case after the interview.

They can take all 120 days to reach a decision. In some cases, they go beyond this time limit, and that would be a good time to seek assistant from a representative.

So as far processing times go, you've got nothing to be concerned about... they may take many more weeks to make a decision.

If they exceed the 120 day mark, you can think about contacting your representative but this is only recommended after you have exhausted other options including calling, making an appointment, and contacting the USCIS ombudsman's office.

Of course all of this is about the timing of a decision; which can be an approval or a denial. The behavior of the officer is a different issue and if you want to, you can file a complaint with USCIS, but, again in my opinion, that wouldn't be warranted since the interviewer sought the supervisor's input and the supervisor has already intervened.

There's a post today in the August 2014 thread... an applicant was just approved 14 months after the interview:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/508181-n-400-august-2014-filers/?p=8087693

This is an extreme case of course.

Good luck!

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Thanks.

Of course, this doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't call USCIS every now and then to check on your case! But just give them some time to do their review... the problem is that sometimes the applicant thinks, "How can it take them 2 weeks to review my case?" when actually what's happened is that they put your file in the "For Review" stack and now you're waiting behind a bunch of other applications... so it's possible that a week or a month after the interview, they haven't looked at your file. So applicants start to worry and think that the wait is a bad sign, when actually nothing has changed.

Hang in there and good luck... and make sure you keep checking your mail in case you get a decision letter, an RFE, or an oath notice since they don't always update the online status (another reason you should call periodically).

Of course, this doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't call USCIS every now and then to check on your case! But just give them some time to do their review... the problem is that sometimes the applicant thinks, "How can it take them 2 weeks to review my case?" when actually what's happened is that they put your file in the "For Review" stack and now you're waiting behind a bunch of other applications... so it's possible that a week or a month after the interview, they haven't looked at your file. So applicants start to worry and think that the wait is a bad sign, when actually nothing has changed.

Hang in there and good luck... and make sure you keep checking your mail in case you get a decision letter, an RFE, or an oath notice since they don't always update the online status (another reason you should call periodically).

I would add they have 12o days but work not calendar days to make decision.

Our ROC interview was in March last year and they made final decision in November. so, just patience and play waiting game with them.

Ceremony scheduled for April 22nd NYC. :) !!!!!

almost done

I just got my Oath Ceremony letter for April 22,at Federal Plaza.... ??..... Good luck to those still waiting... ???

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats!!

Received my Oath Ceremony letter today. ..April 14, 2016 @ 8:30.. :dancing:

My wife received her Oath Ceremony letter yesterday. She is scheduled for April 19th at 8:30AM. :dance:

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Feb. 2018 - Interview - Approved

Feb. 2018 - VISA Received!

May 6, 2018 - Arrived in the  U.S.! 

Timeline

On April 8, 2016, we denied your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization , Receipt Number *******. We mailed you a decision notice that explains why we denied your case and your options. Please follow the instructions in the notice.

What is the next possible step I can take?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.