Sixer

N-400 December 2015 Filers

1,636 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks folks. She was tough but I was not going to be intimidated. She perhaps was in a rush to dismiss me. Right off the bat! The acting supervisor had a different take. There is a provision that kinda create an exception for couple living apart due to career situation. I hope my case got a favorable review. Will keep everyone posted.

Did you notice any change after you presented your evidence and reasons? I completely agree that the odd thing was the rush to dismiss without asking for further evidence, but I'm glad the supervisor sorted things out. I think you set an excellent example for everyone here by politely sticking to your belief that you were eligible to apply. Others would have just said "oh well" and withdrawn their applications. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Osune22 am also a little concerned because am filing under the 3 year rule, did she know you live apart because you stated it in your application? I think I saw someone state in one of the old posts decision was not made during her interview because they lived apart I wish I could find the post so you could see how she handled it. my husband and I don't live apart but all we have together are tax returns, lease, renters insurance and life insurance. hopefully that would be enough.

In almost all cases, that will be enough.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

Well her demeanor changed favorably and she indicated i did excellent on the civic and English test. She stated that I look way younger than my age. I told her most people have have expressed same opinion. I got to sign all the papers and my passport photographs. I am optimistic but we shall see.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My interview was this morning. I won't share the details about traffic and the parking garage being closed when I got there and having to park far away and walk and my state of panic!! :)

But mine went very well. Passed. She said she would schedule me for the April 15th oath date which is great. She said she could probably get me in April 1st BUT then I would have had a problem getting my kids back from Canada after Spring break!

Interestingly, she told me I would need to do the N-600 for the kids. I was convinced I was just going to be applying for their passports and skipping this but she said that the passport applications are going to need the N-600 as their proof. I'm not entirely convinced but I don't want to take chances so definitely need to confirm this.

I asked her about traveling and she said that the kids can still travel using their green cards even after I give mine up at the oath ceremony. It will be a little bit of a worry for me until we're all using the same documentation!

Anyhow... I guess now I wait to get confirmation that my oath ceremony is actually on the 15th but I'm so relieved to be done with this part!

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

My interview was this morning. I won't share the details about traffic and the parking garage being closed when I got there and having to park far away and walk and my state of panic!! :)

But mine went very well. Passed. She said she would schedule me for the April 15th oath date which is great. She said she could probably get me in April 1st BUT then I would have had a problem getting my kids back from Canada after Spring break!

Congratulations! I assume you want them back to attend the ceremony... they obviously don't need to actually be there to become citizens.

Interestingly, she told me I would need to do the N-600 for the kids. I was convinced I was just going to be applying for their passports and skipping this but she said that the passport applications are going to need the N-600 as their proof. I'm not entirely convinced but I don't want to take chances so definitely need to confirm this.

I'm pretty sure that's not correct. I would personally apply for a Certificate of Citizenship, but you should be able to get the passport directly.

I asked her about traveling and she said that the kids can still travel using their green cards even after I give mine up at the oath ceremony. It will be a little bit of a worry for me until we're all using the same documentation!

This always confuses me. Are they US citizens or not? USCIS says they automatically become US citizens the day you naturalize. And the State Department says that US citizens must travel into and out of the US on US passports. Plus entering on a GC means that they are claiming permanent residency, when they are actually US citizens. Practically, none of this probably matters, but loose ends like that annoy me! It's not that hard to put in place a clear requirement. :-)

Anyhow... I guess now I wait to get confirmation that my oath ceremony is actually on the 15th but I'm so relieved to be done with this part!

I hope you get the letter soon! Keep an eye on that mailbox, you might end up getting a letter on the 31st for an oath on the 1st... never underestimate USCIS's ability to mess up your plans one last time!

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! I assume you want them back to attend the ceremony... they obviously don't need to actually be there to become citizens. I do want them back for the ceremony. They will be back on the 4th. But if they throw me in on the 1st then they will miss it!

I'm pretty sure that's not correct. I would personally apply for a Certificate of Citizenship, but you should be able to get the passport directly. I called the Passport hotline and was told they must present their certificates of naturalization. I wonder if it has recently changed or something? I don't want to get it wrong or have a delay.

This always confuses me. Are they US citizens or not? USCIS says they automatically become US citizens the day you naturalize. And the State Department says that US citizens must travel into and out of the US on US passports. Plus entering on a GC means that they are claiming permanent residency, when they are actually US citizens. Practically, none of this probably matters, but loose ends like that annoy me! It's not that hard to put in place a clear requirement. :-) i'm with you. It's frustrating and confusing and makes me worry needlessly, too!

I hope you get the letter soon! Keep an eye on that mailbox, you might end up getting a letter on the 31st for an oath on the 1st... never underestimate USCIS's ability to mess up your plans one last time! NO KIDDING. I'm not going to make any plans just in case!

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I called the Passport hotline and was told they must present their certificates of naturalization. I wonder if it has recently changed or something? I don't want to get it wrong or have a delay.

Your comment about being forced to present certificates of citizenship is news to me!

Either that information is wrong, or it's changed VERY recently.

Why don't you start a post with your information here on the passport forum and see what people say:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/158-passports-etc-what-to-do-now-that-you-are-a-us-citizen/

I know that up until very recently, people have been getting passports for their children with the parent's naturalization certificate and the children's green cards.

Edited by JimmyHou

Timeline

JimmyHou, I have a question for you. The Honolulu office have a same day ceremony, is it a specific day (like every Wednesday) or it means any day your interview is scheduled on? Tanks

When an office says that the hold same-day ceremonies, they mean that same day ceremonies are available to some applicants, but not that they guarantee one. I don't know about Honolulu specifically, sorry.

In some offices, they'll only hold same-day ceremonies on, for example, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

In some offices, they hold them every day, but there's a cut-off... for example, ceremonies could be held at 3 pm and if you're not done with your interview by 1 pm, you don't make the list.

In some offices, they only offer same-day ceremonies to people who live far away from the field office.

If you don't do the ceremony the same day as the interview, they'll either tell you to go home and wait for a letter in the mail or they'll hand you a letter the same day.

Generally, if your interview is earlier in the day, you have a better chance of a same day ceremony unless there isn't one being held that day. If your interview is at 3 pm, then you've got a pretty slim chance.

Edited by JimmyHou

Filed: Timeline

When an office says that the hold same-day ceremonies, they mean that same day ceremonies are available to some applicants, but not that they guarantee one. I don't know about Honolulu specifically, sorry.

In some offices, they'll only hold same-day ceremonies on, for example, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

In some offices, they hold them every day, but there's a cut-off... for example, ceremonies could be held at 3 pm and if you're not done with your interview by 1 pm, you don't make the list.

In some offices, they only offer same-day ceremonies to people who live far away from the field office.

If you don't do the ceremony the same day as the interview, they'll either tell you to go home and wait for a letter in the mail or they'll hand you a letter the same day.

Generally, if your interview is earlier in the day, you have a better chance of a same day ceremony unless there isn't one being held that day. If your interview is at 3 pm, then you've got a pretty slim chance.

Let's hope it's a same day ceremony for my case since I live on another island and plane tickets are super expensive :) thanks for your answer :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Let's hope it's a same day ceremony for my case since I live on another island and plane tickets are super expensive :) thanks for your answer :)

Based on this they have same day ceremony only one day of the week :

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/hawaii-honolulu-field-office

The Honolulu Field Office conducts Judicial Ceremonies once per month and Administrative Ceremonies once per week. This office conducts same-day naturalization ceremonies.

I hope you have your interview on the day they have oath ceremony. Good luck.

Based on this they have same day ceremony only one day of the week :

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/hawaii-honolulu-field-office

I hope you have your interview on the day they have oath ceremony. Good luck.

Thank you! I read somewhere that they do it every Wednesday except the first Wednesday of the month, mine is on a first Tuesday of the month so let's hope it's a 2 in 1, I just can't afford another plane ticket :D

Timeline

Thank you! I read somewhere that they do it every Wednesday except the first Wednesday of the month, mine is on a first Tuesday of the month so let's hope it's a 2 in 1, I just can't afford another plane ticket :D

Tell your interviewer when you get your approval (fingers crossed). Even if there isn't a ceremony that day, maybe he can schedule you for that weeks ceremony and you can stay an extra day or two.

Tell your interviewer when you get your approval (fingers crossed). Even if there isn't a ceremony that day, maybe he can schedule you for that weeks ceremony and you can stay an extra day or two.

Will do. Hopefully everything goes well :)

Will do. Hopefully everything goes well :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Congrats, Ms. Hogan!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok so bare with me. My interview is on Monday and I applied based on 3 years marriage and this is what I'm taking with me. Husband certificate of citizenship, marriage certificate and license, birth certificate of both kids, deed of trust and a few mortgages statements from our home in Texas, rent agreement from where we live now in North Carolina, tax transcripts from 12,13,14 and hoping I get the 15 on the mail until Saturday. College transcripts, renters insurance and homeowners insurance, car insurance, a few bank statements from our main acct. Then the last statement from another bank acct we have but barely use, last cell phone bill, yearly statement from amex credit card and last statement from another credit card we have together. Am I good? We have been married for 7 years and I didn't want to print out 7 years of bank statements and bills. Should I add anything else? Urgh the baby hasn't slept well for the past week and I can't think straight. Help!! Am I missing something?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.