Sixer

N-400 December 2015 Filers

1,636 posts in this topic

Question is - did you file ROC jointly or as a divorced?

If you filed jointly and divorced after that, yes they will probably ask some questions about divorce. Thats what i assume

Jointly. Divorced was finalized over a year after that.

Would you know sample questions they ask? Apart from why we separated?

Also do you think I should bring the docs I collected for ROC? I have binders of those :(

Edited by silvermug

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Jointly. Divorced was finalized over a year after that.

Would you know sample questions they ask? Apart from why we separated?

Also do you think I should bring the docs I collected for ROC? I have binders of those :(

They can ask anything at all to make sure that you were in a legitimate relationship at the time you got your GC and during ROC.

Yes, bring all your documents. Very probably, you won't need any of them.

In many cases, the interviewer will just ask to see your marriage and divorce records.

In some cases, they will ask a few questions to verify timing.

In rare cases, they will ask a lot of questions (similar to during ROC)... this is only if there's something odd about the case (for example if you and your wife were living apart for long periods ever since the wedding or if you divorced right after ROC).

In some of these cases, a decision on the case isn't made right away, because they want time to review the evidence, but in many cases, approval under the 5 year rule is pretty straight-forward.

In only two cases I've read about (very unusual), the applicant was told that a decision would be made later. The interviewer then contacted the applicant's ex-spouse. In one case this was on the phone and in another, USCIS officers showed up at the ex-spouse's home and asked a few questions. If I remember correctly, both applicants were approved a few weeks later.

This is just based on what I've read and I've given you all the possibilities I can think of. Take the documents with you, but don't worry.... in probably 9 out of 10 cases like yours everything goes very smoothly.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

My interview is tomorrow and I'm starting to get nervous NYC

Is your interview at Federal Plaza or in Queens or out on Long Island?

Wow, I miss NYC and I was just there two months ago.

another1.........|12/08/10|12/08|12/16|12/15|01/05/16|01/06/16.|02/05/16.|03/10/16.|--/--/--.|Atlanta, GA

skyajnas.........|06/23/07|12/14|12/16|12/17|01/05/16|01/07/16.|02/05/16.|03/10/16.|--/--/--.|Atlanta, GA

Also, we have two Atlanta interviews in the group tomorrow!

Maybe you guys will see each other there!

It's amazing... it used to take close to a year to get an interview spot in Atlanta. Glad it's going well for you guys and I hope their oath scheduling has sped up too!

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

They can ask anything at all to make sure that you were in a legitimate relationship at the time you got your GC and during ROC.

Yes, bring all your documents. Very probably, you won't need any of them.

In many cases, the interviewer will just ask to see your marriage and divorce records.

In some cases, they will ask a few questions to verify timing.

In rare cases, they will ask a lot of questions (similar to during ROC)... this is only if there's something odd about the case (for example if you and your wife were living apart for long periods ever since the wedding or if you divorced right after ROC).

In some of these cases, a decision on the case isn't made right away, because they want time to review the evidence, but in many cases, approval under the 5 year rule is pretty straight-forward.

In only two cases I've read about (very unusual), the applicant was told that a decision would be made later. The interviewer then contacted the applicant's ex-spouse. In one case this was on the phone and in another, USCIS officers showed up at the ex-spouse's home and asked a few questions. If I remember correctly, both applicants were approved a few weeks later.

This is just based on what I've read and I've given you all the possibilities I can think of. Take the documents with you, but don't worry.... in probably 9 out of 10 cases like yours everything goes very smoothly.

Oh geez. Alright, I'm going to bring everything now, phew! From F1 docs to H1B docs to GC, ROC... 10 years of life in binders.

I am also bringing a lawyer with me. His paralegal only asked me to prepare tax returns in the last 5 years, divorce decree, and evidence of the spousal support I paid.

But just like what you guys say -- it won't hurt. And I'd rather have a document ready when asked, than delay it because I have to provide a doc later on.

Oh geez. Alright, I'm going to bring everything now, phew! From F1 docs to H1B docs to GC, ROC... 10 years of life in binders.

I am also bringing a lawyer with me. His paralegal only asked me to prepare tax returns in the last 5 years, divorce decree, and evidence of the spousal support I paid.

But just like what you guys say -- it won't hurt. And I'd rather have a document ready when asked, than delay it because I have to provide a doc later on.

If you are in touch with you ex, ask him/her to write a letter that you guys were in bona fide marriage and to explain that didnt work and you guys divorced. sign and notarize that. you can also ask few friedns for same thing.

My friend filed his ROC after divorce, and they asked for RFE two times. last time h e sent that letter from ex and all was ok

If you are in touch with you ex, ask him/her to write a letter that you guys were in bona fide marriage and to explain that didnt work and you guys divorced. sign and notarize that. you can also ask few friedns for same thing.

My friend filed his ROC after divorce, and they asked for RFE two times. last time h e sent that letter from ex and all was ok

Oh boy, my ex would not even blink on any means of communication with him. I hope the consul doesn't ask for this in my interview. :(

Your friend -- did he provide that letter from ex during his ROC or during his naturalization?

Oh boy, my ex would not even blink on any means of communication with him. I hope the consul doesn't ask for this in my interview. :(

Your friend -- did he provide that letter from ex during his ROC or during his naturalization?

During his ROC

he filed as divorced, they asked for RFE, he sent more papers, they asked again for RFE so he sent that letter from ex (lawyer told him to do so)

5 years later he applied for n400, and had no problem interview

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Is your interview at Federal Plaza or in Queens or out on Long Island?

Wow, I miss NYC and I was just there two months ago.

another1.........|12/08/10|12/08|12/16|12/15|01/05/16|01/06/16.|02/05/16.|03/10/16.|--/--/--.|Atlanta, GA

skyajnas.........|06/23/07|12/14|12/16|12/17|01/05/16|01/07/16.|02/05/16.|03/10/16.|--/--/--.|Atlanta, GA

Also, we have two Atlanta interviews in the group tomorrow!

Maybe you guys will see each other there!

It's amazing... it used to take close to a year to get an interview spot in Atlanta. Glad it's going well for you guys and I hope their oath scheduling has sped up too!

Federal Plaza :)

sofsmile-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just got back from Buffalo. Application.....drum roll please...approved!!!

The IO was super chatty and friendly. My lawyer jumped in right away and said that we wanted to add an amendment to my application as I had a few traffic fines. The IO asked about those...what type of fines or if I had every been arrested but didn't want to see any paperwork that I had. He asked for my passport, green card and drivers license. Asked about my time in and out of the US and why I worked for a Canadian company. My answer was that the county I live in would not offer the same kind of salary that I am making now. He asked if I was currently pursuing a job in the US while nodding his head up and down. He also told me that he used to date a girl from the town that I live in. He asked if I knew the family.

He gave me a bit of background information about himself and informed me that he used to work in the Cleveland office and told me that they had a high rate of fraudulent applications going thru there. I thought that was an interesting fact

Overall, super easy.Got my first 6 questions right

1. What are 2 holidays that we celebrate

2. Who was the first president

3. Who is the president right now

4. Who is the governor of NY State

5. What date do you have to file your taxes by

6. Name one war that occurred during the 1900's

Then I had to write out: President's day is in the month of February.

After that we went through my application, Once I was finished all of that, he informed me that off the record I was approved and to expect my oath letter to arrive within 30 days.

Whew so glad to be done!!

Woot!!

I can't imagine Cleveland having that many fraudulent cases... not like people WANT to live here haha

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Worry about this if you get an RFE... I don't think it's worth even thinking about now because there's such a tiny chance that you'll need this.

Federal Plaza :)

Nice! I like that area at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge. Good luck to you!

You'll be a 15 minute walk from a rice pudding store (yes, just rice pudding) that I really like.

Woot!!

I can't imagine Cleveland having that many fraudulent cases... not like people WANT to live here haha

Cleveland is the big bad city by Buffalo standards. ;-)

Edited by JimmyHou

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Had my interview and oath ceremony today and received my naturalization certificate.

I was scheduled for 9 am at Denver. Got there at 8:40 and went through security where they made me remove my belt, shoes, wallet, fitness tracker etc and scanned them through. Waited until 9:05 and they called my name.

He started with the civics and language tests and here are the questions :

1) What does the declaration of independence do?

2) Name one branch of government?

3) Name 2 US holidays?

4) What does the judiciary do?

5) Who was the first president?

6) How long is a senator elected for?

I was chewing gum and while on the third question, he noticed that and said I can't do that and got up, brought the trash can to me and asked me to spit it out. I did and said sorry.

Got all of that right and he asked me to read "When is Columbus day?" and then write "Columbus day is in October".

After that, made me stand up and do the oath and then started with the yes/no questions. All of them were straight forward. He asked me if I was over 26 when I got my green card and I said yes and he didn't ask anything further. This was about the SS registration, I guess. I'm over 36 as well.

While he was signing and stamping some papers, he asked about my family and talked about a state school that we(Interviewer and I) both went to. Once he was done stamping, he gave me a paper asked me to read and sign it and said he was recommending me for approval. He also gave me the oath letter for 1:30 in the afternoon.

The whole interview took exactly 9 minutes and he never asked for any document other than my passport and green card. I had a huge binder full of stuff.

We went out had some food and went to friend's house nearby and went back at 1:30 for the oath ceremony. Total of 41 people and it went fast. Probably took 40 minutes. They took our oath letter(filled out) and green card and after the ceremony gave us the naturalization certificate.

I will apply for my passport tomorrow.

So that's it.

Thanks to every one who contributed to this thread and others here on the forum who shared valuable info that made this process so much easier. Those who are still waiting, I hope everything goes as smooth as it possibly could and you will all get there soon. I will be checking this thread to see how everyone is doing and if any one has any questions or me, feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them.

Congratulations!!

Thank you for your report! Finally I could find the time frame, I understand it may be different though.

PI314, I have a question to you. My interview in Denver in 3 weeks, I want my husband to drive because I might be too nervous to drive for 2 hours. Can he wait for me in the waiting room/lobby during my interview and be with me at the oath ceremony?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.