sereia

gifts

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone! I'm going to Morocco in two weeks to see my fiance and his family again!!! I always come bearing gifts ...but this time I'm running a blank on new ideas for things to bring everyone.

So far I bought a big scented candle for Abdou's mom. And I plan to bring a big tray of baklava and ma'mouls for them to try.

What could I get more for his mom? And maybe something small for his dad? And a gift for his sister.......

:help:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi everyone! I'm going to Morocco in two weeks to see my fiance and his family again!!! I always come bearing gifts ...but this time I'm running a blank on new ideas for things to bring everyone.

So far I bought a big scented candle for Abdou's mom. And I plan to bring a big tray of baklava and ma'mouls for them to try.

What could I get more for his mom? And maybe something small for his dad? And a gift for his sister.......

:help:

what's the price limit per gift? perhaps a leatherman or swiss army knife for the dad?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I know in Pakistan perfume, chocolate, anything with american companies like Nike t-shirt or ball caps are all hits with the family. Good luck and enjoy your time back in Morocco.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Timeline
what's the price limit per gift? perhaps a leatherman or swiss army knife for the dad?

hmmm maybe for the dad something a little less expensive. something small but a nice gesture. around $20 -30 maybe?

the mom i'd spend a bit more for the right gift. or give her more variety of cheaper gifts. i dunnooooooooo :)

world-map.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

In Ahmeds family seem the men all love the sprays (dont have to be expensive) his mom and sister liked the different magnets i brought some saying Okla then picked out a few in NYC> I took them a couple of "dream catches" to hang, they loved the candies , and a few other things said Okla i think for the gmom a waterglobe that had Okla stuff inside it . Maybe to short of notice now but for the holidays i made his mom a picture calendar with pictures we had made when i was there, for his sister i did the same but included mostly pictures of her 2 yr old and few of the family and us together, and they soooooooo treasured that still. The dad is a business man so for his birthday he got a leather "case" from my work that can hold his papers etc.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline

hmmm maybe for the dad something a little less expensive. something small but a nice gesture. around $20 -30 maybe?

the mom i'd spend a bit more for the right gift. or give her more variety of cheaper gifts. i dunnooooooooo :)

maglights are pretty neat gifts, i presume that batteries over there are not highly expensive.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

If they are like Ahmeds family they wont drop hints of what they want because they do not see it that way, they will say "no need for gifts, your visit is all the gift we will need" very simple good people, that will share the best they have with you.

TIMELINE

-------------

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

Timeline

ya thats exactly how my fiance is.

i wanted to get his mom more kitchen things. since she spends 90% of her time in there. if not, 95%. lol

she uses the stainless steel counter to cut things on. ugh. and a crappy knife. but i feel bad if i bring a cutting board and fancy knives. she has been doing this for 30+ years i don't know if she'd want a change.......know what i mean?

world-map.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Some great gift ideas here. I agree with Mary -- colognes and chocolates, anything from Nike, etc. are always appeciated.

T-shirts with the names of American cities or some of the more popular sports teams make good gifts (not so much American football -- but basketball or even baseball are more understood in ME/NA.)

Small inexpensive electronic games are endless fun for the kids. Girls and young ladies always love clothes.

One time I ordered a page of "Eid" postage stamps from the post office and framed them up nicely -- this made a very unique gift (people were quite amazed that the U.S. would have these.)

Leather belts or wallets might be nice for men.

Also I always pack things to use while I'm there, but with the intention of leaving behind -- CD players, headphones, clothes, etc. One time I "bequeathed" a digital camera after I had bought a newer one -- I had kept it in very good condition, and had everything it came with, even the original box & instructions -- this was a huge hit.

LOL of COURSE they will *say* "don't bring me anything." But you CAN'T go empty-handed -- it's just not done.

(F)

-MK

Edited to add: I think she would LOVE the kitchen stuff.

Edited by wife_of_mahmoud

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

wom had an interesting point about football and baseball teams. so are baseball hats popular over there?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

im going to go to beth bad and beyond and wander looking for kitchen gifts.

she already has a blender, a food processor, etc. not sure what would be a gift she'd actually USE. i hate to give gifts people say, "oh thankssssss" then go throw it in a closet somewhere.

i came from italy and brought a nice bottle of balsamic vinegar. last time i went i saw that it hadn't been used. lol i knew that was a risky one though.

i definitely can't go empty handed. i would never. i wanted to give them my digital camera but it broke last week. sigh...

world-map.jpg

Timeline

Of course you cant not take something, just saying the smallest things we think are so appreciated by them. Together we got his mom a small microwave, after i was there, and since his sister had turned her complete house over to us for my stay we also left her one on the table as a SURPRISE gift for when she returned.

The younger brothers, like some american singers on cds, I had a Cher t-shirt from a concert and a Phil Collins one as well, (there now at home in Morocco) ha they were like wowwwwwwwww you saw them and got this there. I took postcards, books etc showing Okla. they all liked looking at those.

The brother-in-law is a teacher, so at the craft/hobby shop i found few things that said Teacher things to hold pens, notes etc. There are so many things, for the little girls, hair decorations, fancy socks, she liked the soap bubbles all little kids like to try, the one i got her was battery so push a button and million bubble come out.....

TIMELINE

-------------

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.