inlovewithacuban

Culture shock / adjusting

134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

1) Tell him you've bought a surprise vacation back to Cuba for the two of you because he's feeling homesick.

2) Wait until he's sleeping

3) Buy the next available ticket back to the USA for you only.

This is not a love relationship. It's a slave and their master.

One way ticket for him would probably be cheaper instead.

OP, you sound quite mature and you probably know in your heart what you need to do.

Like is incredibly short. It's disheartening to hear you're enduring this but know that there are many here who can both sympathize and empathize.

Regards.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Posting removed for TOS violation, administrative action taken~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Sorry- but the gist of the comment is still valid- using "you don't understand xxxx culture..." As a justification for terrible boorish behavior is not an a adult conversation.

Don't go "on vacation" to Cuba together, have a discussion, if he won't participate, and acknowledge your side, start to make preparations to just send him home and cut your losses.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Agree on putting my foot down.

Thank you all for validating my feelings

His behavior is absolutely disgusting to me. How he can talk and treat you like that in YOUR home is beyond me. I would never tolerate being spoken to like that in my home....regardless of who it is. He sounds like he has no gratitude. As far as buying clothes? Wow, "Out of the Closet" thrift shops are not good enough? I lived in LA for 26 years, left in 2003. There is that amazing Cuban restaurant on La Cienega and another on the west side and another in the Valley....the name is escaping me.

My partner is coming here from the Philippines and i have been buying quality items from Savers and local thrift stores, i have showed him and he is shocked that they are high end and in brand new shape. I just returned from Savers about one hour ago and got a few winter items for the both of us. Luckily we are both the same size.

It sounds like you live very close to LAX........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

He did not have many belongings. I have totally enabled all of this. I am not saying I am to blame, but am just admitting I have been an enabler. The part I have the most difficulty understanding is that when I am vocal about things, I get dismissed to not understanding Cuban people and Cuban culture.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

since you are both now currently in USA, he ought to be the one to needs to work on understanding America and American people (which is a complex equation) by the way.

I really think you should rethink your future with him.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

I really feel for you OP. Your situation is really sad. Be thankful you are only engaged to this immature person. My advice is to just stop pampering and spoiling your fiancé because it isn't working, and just go to work or whatever you do and let him get himself together. You have well, what, 2.5 months to decide one way or not to marry him. Unless he is being abusive to you and making you miserable (you do sound miserable, so very disappointed in him you are) maybe give it some more time and just leave him to his own devices. Maybe his Skype friends in Cuba will buy him a ticket home!

I am married to a Caribbean man. I know he will be in shock to actually live here even though he has visited in the past, twice, and knows a little bit what to expect. But, like, he is terrified of cold weather and snow. He has heard it can cause a stroke . . . I tried to assure him that was not true. So I have been nervously thinking about what it will be like when he actually gets here. Your story is compelling to me.

Incidentally, my husband is not Cuban, he's from further south in the Caribbean, but I do hear the same thing from him often enough, that I don't understand him and his country and his culture. So I just try and smile and nod and say 'I'm trying!' People around the world seem to have a love/hate thing for America and Americans. And while we may not agree with everything our country says and does, when a 'foreign' criticizes America unfairly, we get fighting' mad, I do anyway. :ranting:

I really do hope he starts to relax and you guys can feel the love once more. Let us know how it is going!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.