prs1man

can any one answer my questions with out an attorney cost

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

has any one had a situation similar to mine I was arrested back in 1992 on a child molest charge its not what you think I will just keep the details to my self any how it was a class C felony I was sentenced to 4 years but 3 and a 1/2 years was suspended so I ended up doing 6 months in the county jail on a work release program also I had 2 years probation I was never required to register as an offender this was way before the Adam Walsh act was ever signed. I have met and have fell in love with a woman much younger then my self she is over 21 she isFilapino we have all the requirements met I have been there we have pictures as well as receipts and Facebook conversations which is where we met.She knows about my past I have been very upfront with her. Has any one had a similar situation to mine doe's anyone see any issues with me getting approved for the K-1 as I said we meet all the requirements I really don't want to pay an attorney for a few simple questions.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The specifics of your circumstances are likely important to what course of action is best for you. Find an experienced immigration attorney and pay a few dollars to get answers based on your facts.

Considering the process will take thousands of dollars isn't a couple of hundred for good advice/information worth it?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Many places will give free consults as well. Leverage those and see what kind of insights/approaches there are and corroborate them. If you get a ton of different responses or consistent messaging.

How much is 'much younger'?...albeit apparently probably doesnt matter to the Manilla Embassy much.

You may not get too much traction to your question in the member introductory forum however. Perhaps a mod will migrate to a more applicable one.

Edited by heo luoi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You've given enough details to know you need a good immigration attorney. I would try to find one who has experience and success working with petitioners with a similar criminal history. A DIY forum is most likely of little help to you.

I understand you are saying I need an attorney I am trying to file this petition on my own to save cost I am sure there is someone what has had a similar nature as mine and had to go through this experience I do have faith as long as I am upfront with telling the truth and I submit all the documents to the USCIS I shouldn't need an attorney actually the filing process is pretty simple and self explaintory my question is plain simply will this past charge be an issue to the person making the decision its not like I was trafficking or any thing nor do I have any domestic violence on my record which I consider far worse then my charge I know they are concerned with the well being of my fiancee. I just feel if I am an open book with them there should not be any issues and our relationship is valid. This is what I think they are looking for and no attorney can guarantee any outcome of a case. They are not always right in the decision made by someone else.

The Adam Walsh Act bar applies regardless of how long ago the conviction occurred.

Here is a general info page about it. AWA waivers are very difficult and not really recommended as DIY. There are several threads on VJ about it/people filing in the same situation. Please use the search and read them. If you have trouble locating them post back and links can be provided.

While some people do choose to file on their own you really do have better odds with an attny so I strongly recommend you contact one for help with this. You can easily search google for variations of Adam walsh act +USCIS +attny + visa+waiver and tons of results will come up. Read over the attnys websites keeping in mind they are looking to be hired so the information is all going to positive/reasons why you should use them.

https://www.rreeves.com/publications_detail.php?newsId=1260

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Non-constructive post removed~

~Post constructively, or do NOT post~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

There are way too many unknowns for you to consider moving forward by yourself.....while I am not a big fan of immigration attorneys, it looks to me like you should make every effort to find a very good one (rare, I know)...Steve Pattison would be my choice, if I had to choose. Your background, whatever it was, is way too complex to just have you fill out some forms and hope for the best.....it would be money well spent.

I just feel if I am an open book with them there should not be any issues and our relationship is valid. This is what I think they are looking for

Eh no thats not what they are looking for. "that" being full disclosure. Ive followed pretty much all the AWA threads on here. My opinion (from observations) is they are looking to see if you are a truthful person. When you apply for these family based visas- whether its a fiance or spouse you need to give a statement along the lines of we have a bonafide relationship. So they are looking to see if you can make such a statement. Are you a truthful person? They ask for- actually its more like demand full disclosure and from what I observed the people that were successful had several things in common- the most important being they never lied to the police/impeded the investigation. So the details will matter. Oddly those that seemed to have plead guilty had better outcomes then those that plead not guilty and were found guilty in a court. If you gave testimony in a case that was later found to be untrue by a jury or judge--- well that answers that then about whether or not you are able to make truthful statements or will lie for a benefit.

Look an attny is going to take your money and represent you no matter what your odds are. Even if they know in their gut your odds are low they will take your money and help you file. No one on here know the specific details of your situation nor are you required to disclose them. I can tell you these types of waivers take years. So be ready for a very long process. Again hiring an attny who specializes in AWA will give you more of an advantage because they know the law and will help ensure you do things/submit in a timely fashion everything in your power to get it approved. But you are basically paying for their knowledge- at the end of the day the facts are going to be the facts, your attny cant change that. You may want to consider moving to be with your intended while you wait it out.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Non-constructive, inflammatory post removed~

~Post constructively, or do NOT post~

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

question my fiancee does have a son but she is not bringing him at this time. So I am not including him on the petition it will only be her so I pose no risk to her whatsoever as it says in a lot of threads I have read as far as the USCIS is concerned. We do plan on bringing him here but this would be after she got here and had her green card and her 2 year fulfillment has been done so we could file a petition for him and she could fly back and get him this seems to make more sense to us so there are no complications. She is all good and fine with this as well. So I am thinking with no children involved in the petition our chances of getting it approved would be greatly improved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Introducing Our Members forum to the IMBRA subforum, where similar matters are typically discussed. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

question my fiancee does have a son but she is not bringing him at this time. So I am not including him on the petition it will only be her so I pose no risk to her whatsoever as it says in a lot of threads I have read as far as the USCIS is concerned. We do plan on bringing him here but this would be after she got here and had her green card and her 2 year fulfillment has been done so we could file a petition for him and she could fly back and get him this seems to make more sense to us so there are no complications. She is all good and fine with this as well. So I am thinking with no children involved in the petition our chances of getting it approved would be greatly improved.

This was a good read, check it out: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/the-adam-walsh-act-sex-offenders-and-immigration-law

I'm pretty sure you will need a waiver (complicated but not impossible)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.