DLS713

Inoculations (Shots needed before entering the US)

20 posts in this topic

You are completely missing my point. The US embassy websites explicitly state that the vaccinations are NOT required. Here is a quote from the US embassy's website in London:

Vaccinations

On the day of the medical examination, the Embassy panel physician will be required to verify that you have met the vaccination requirement, or that it is medically inappropriate for you to receive them. Please note: If you are applying for a K visa, you will not be required to meet the vaccination requirements at the time of your visa interview. You will, however, be required to meet the requirement at the time you apply for an adjustment of status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States.

Here is a quote from the US embassy's website in Santo Domingo:

Vaccines

The Immigration and Nationality Act requires that all immigrant visa applicants obtain certain vaccinations before receiving an immigrant visa.

If you are applying for a K or V visa, vaccines are optional. However, it is often more convenient if you are vaccinated while still in the Dominican Republic.

The doctors selected by the Consular Section are the only doctors authorized to conduct medical examinations for visa applicants. The doctors must verify that each immigrant visa applicant has met all vaccination requirements.

However, anecdotal evidence, including that of my fiancé, indicates that the K-1 visa applicants are required to get certain vaccinations during the medical exam before the interview. This is contrary to what the websites clearly state. It doesn't matter who makes the rules, it's that they aren't enforced correctly. The K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa. Only immigrant visas require vaccinations.

Anecdotal evidence?

Please provide some links to K-1ers who were forced to get shots at their medical before the interview. I've been on this board for eight years and I've never run into a K-1er who was not allowed opt out. On the other side of the same coin, I've never heard of a K-1er who opted out being denied a visa for that reason.

Any K-1er can opt out. Pregnant K-1ers opt out all the time. K-1ers with religious beliefs against vaccinations opt out. But, any K-1er can opt out.

FYI, K-1 visas are non-immigrant visas which are handled as immigrant visas.

Anecdotal evidence?

Please provide some links to K-1ers who were forced to get shots at their medical before the interview. I've been on this board for eight years and I've never run into a K-1er who was not allowed opt out. On the other side of the same coin, I've never heard of a K-1er who opted out being denied a visa for that reason.

Any K-1er can opt out. Pregnant K-1ers opt out all the time. K-1ers with religious beliefs against vaccinations opt out. But, any K-1er can opt out.

FYI, K-1 visas are non-immigrant visas which are handled as immigrant visas.

Well my fiancé certainly wasn't allowed to opt out. The doctor insisted he didn't have a choice. If you know anything about the Dominican Republic you'll know that nobody follows the rules and nothing is as it seems.

And the bit about non-immigrant visa handled as immigrant visa only proves my point. It's typical bureaucratic nonsense. It only makes the process that much harder for people. If they are going to handle the K-1 visa as an immigrant visa then just call it an immigrant visa.

If you can't tell I hate inconsistency and illogic. It makes my brain hurt.

Well my fiancé certainly wasn't allowed to opt out. The doctor insisted he didn't have a choice. If you know anything about the Dominican Republic you'll know that nobody follows the rules and nothing is as it seems.

And the bit about non-immigrant visa handled as immigrant visa only proves my point. It's typical bureaucratic nonsense. It only makes the process that much harder for people. If they are going to handle the K-1 visa as an immigrant visa then just call it an immigrant visa.

If you can't tell I hate inconsistency and illogic. It makes my brain hurt.

The doctor was misinformed, but that's no surprise.

I agree with you about the K-1 visa...they should call it an immigrant visa even though not every K-1er ends up getting married and staying in the U.S.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had the luck of having my dad lose my vaccination card and all I had left to prove I had all my shots done recently was an old piece of paper from 1999. <_<

Anywhosies. I went to my medical and told the doctor lady exactly what happened and she explained all the shots to me. I had the option of just taking the shots now all at once regardless how recent I had them done before, or doing a blood test to see which shots I have in my system and then coming back to do the medical. Needless to say I could have cared less to go back so I took it like a man and did them all at once. :crying:

It ended up being like 2 or three shots and a veil or two of blood. My arms were covered in bandages and it hurt for days but whateves, at least I didnt have to go back! LOL.

Dont worry, all of those things will be explained to you at your medical and its all included in the cost. Might as well take advantage of it :joy::thumbs:

(L) Meike & Alex (L)

2nbu1cx.jpg

Got engaged :wub:(August 29th, 2014)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Click Spoiler to show i-129F K-1 Visa application processes

hgOf2QL.png?1

--------------------------------------------------------------------
November 16th - Applied for SS Card
November 16th - Got marriage certificate

November 20th - Married!!! <3
December 9th - AOS package sent

December 18th - NOA's received for all three!!

December 21st - NOA1 hard copy in the mail

Dec 30th - Bio-metrics letter in the mail

Jan 12th, 2016 - Bio-metrics completed!!

Jan 15th - RFIEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 23rd - RFIE response mailed back
Feb 26th - RFIE response received
March 8th - EAD/AP APPROVEDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! (On my birthday too~)

March 16th - Card received in the mail~
May 17th - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!! NO INTERVIEW NEEDED

May 23rd - NOA approval in the mail

May 25th - Green card in HAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

Future ROC filing date: Feb 16th, 2018

The K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa. Only immigrant visas require vaccinations.

That is right, a fiancee (K) visa is a visitor visa, like a tourist, and tourists are NOT required to have immunizations. They catch you anyway at the AOS, and most people I think realize it is best to get them abroad since it is cheaper. I read the same thing you did, and had my fiancee let them know in Manila that she wanted to get them in the states, and didn't have any problem. I learned here in Visa Journey that she could be exempted if pregnant and since we were planning to have kids right away, so that's exactly what we did. Some people have insurance and want to go to their own doctor here, but I think you still need to have their docs transcribe them to the form. You need to be armed with the facts, and if you want them in the US, they can't say a thing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.