stavroula58

American citizen spouse abroad

1 post in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Greece
Timeline

Hi anyone.

I became a LPR on January 2009. I am married to an American citizen for more than 27 years. We have two sons both American citizens, permanent US residents. We have our own house (no mortgages) in the States for more than 7 years (it belongs to my husband). We never fail to file taxes. We have a joint back account. Home insurance in my husband’s name.

During the last 5 years I have multiple trips abroad. One of them is 510 days (8/18/2011-1/10/2013) and I have a re-entry permit for this. Since then I have one trip in 2013 for 74 days, one in 2014 for 166 days and 2 in 2015 for 82 and 52 days. Total days abroad 1054 for the last 5 years. My most recent arrival is on 8/20/2015.

I know I met the continuous residence and physical presence criteria on 3 years base of an American citizen spouse.

But my problem is that my husband has a job contract abroad (he is a PhD scientist) in a European research institute for 2-3 more years. (Nonfederal, nor military or even in an American company). But his boss has a grant from an American Association, which is the world’s leading nonprofit health agency dedicating to finding treatments and cures for neurology diseases. After my husband's job contract ends, we plan to return permanently in the States to be with our sons.

In N-400 I have to and I intent to tell the truth for my husband residence and work. I also have many trips abroad as you can see, in order to be with my husband. Is anyone think that this will be an issue on my interview? Do I have any possibility to get the citizenship?

Another question please. As I am going to file as US citizen spouse on 3 years term, do I have to apply information for my employment history (which is poor due to my trips) and my trips for 5 years, or for the last 3 years?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.