Marina and Ed

Marine in Japan

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
You're 'working' as a Marine? Your 'contract'?

Good God, the Marines I belonged too weren't a job. And I had a commitment, not a contract. What is the world coming too?

Anyway, with your K-1 Application send in your current orders and any that you have pending for a move to a theater of action where the biggest danger isn't getting run over by traffic after 'working'.

Jim

The Few, The Proud, The Contracted Worker.

Oh, geez. Semantics. Don't get your lil undies in a bundle, k?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good God, the Marines I belonged too weren't a job. And I had a commitment, not a contract. What is the world coming too?

Anyway, with your K-1 Application send in your current orders and any that you have pending for a move to a theater of action where the biggest danger isn't getting run over by traffic after 'working'.

Jim

Touche'

Timeline
As I understand it..The US Military gives its servicemen an expedited visa process..

Ya understood wrong.

The Military does not help expedite the process whatsoever.

In fact, when we went to the Base Legal aid, they told us that they were too busy with wills & estates for people who were deployed at the time, to even look over our paperwork.

If you didn't notice, I backed off from giving an indication that I had any knowledge to share. I knew there was an expedited means off getting the visa for a US Servicemen, I just pointed to the wrong department, excuse me....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Jim

Touche'

Ever been a Marine? If you had, I don't think you would look at it this way. And while one reference to being a Marine as a job might be overlook-able, two in the space of a dozen words is not.

You don't work as a Marine, you ARE a Marine. You don't have a contract, you have a commitment. Think what you will, if he'd been in my company in MY Marine Corps. (again, if you've never BEEN a Marine you won't get it) I'd have been adjusting his attitude. 'Working' as a Marine would be on my list of things to fix right below him telling his friends I was his boss Cap'n Powell. Neither would go over well.

Marines don't kick a$$ everywhere they go because they are better people. They don't because they neccessarily have better weapons. Rifleman to rifleman, it comes down to commitment and who you are.

I am glad none of you ever have to lay in a ditch and strain to see and hear what's happening over the embankment next to someone 'working' as a Marine. I can't even comprehend how that statement comes out of a Marine's mouth. When you are 'working' you have a job. When you have a job, you can quit. When you quit you will die. When you die next to another Marine, they are likely to die too.

Yes, my undies are always in a knot about some things. What comes out of your mouth is what was in your mind. And some 'jobs' aren't jobs to some people.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Jim

Touche'

Ever been a Marine? If you had, I don't think you would look at it this way. And while one reference to being a Marine as a job might be overlook-able, two in the space of a dozen words is not.

You don't work as a Marine, you ARE a Marine. You don't have a contract, you have a commitment. Think what you will, if he'd been in my company in MY Marine Corps. (again, if you've never BEEN a Marine you won't get it) I'd have been adjusting his attitude. 'Working' as a Marine would be on my list of things to fix right below him telling his friends I was his boss Cap'n Powell. Neither would go over well.

Marines don't kick a$$ everywhere they go because they are better people. They don't because they neccessarily have better weapons. Rifleman to rifleman, it comes down to commitment and who you are.

I am glad none of you ever have to lay in a ditch and strain to see and hear what's happening over the embankment next to someone 'working' as a Marine. I can't even comprehend how that statement comes out of a Marine's mouth. When you are 'working' you have a job. When you have a job, you can quit. When you quit you will die. When you die next to another Marine, they are likely to die too.

Yes, my undies are always in a knot about some things. What comes out of your mouth is what was in your mind. And some 'jobs' aren't jobs to some people.

Well, if any Marine, regardless of how they view their duty, is lying in a ditch, I'm sure they do not have any less commitment than anyone else. That seems preposterous to me.

Filed: Timeline

OP...have you physically met your gf yet?

Jim

Touche'

Hoo-Rah

FWIW, my dad (also USMC) would react the same way. But I think it was just poor wording and not meant in disrespect. I'd say cut him some slack :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Jim

Touche'

Well, if any Marine, regardless of how they view their duty, is lying in a ditch, I'm sure they do not have any less commitment than anyone else. That seems preposterous to me.

It is preposterous. But it happens. And here is how it happens and it does happen:

I lay in a ditch and wonder how are WE going to take the next ditch while making sure they don't take our ditch.

Others with perfectly commendable commitment lay in the ditch and wish WE don't get killed, wish WE were somewhere else. Wish WE weren't scared.

Then there is the group that wonders nothing about gaining or holding territory. They don't even think I hope WE, anything at all. They think I hope *I*....

Those are the ones I worry about. I worried about it alot because it was my job to worry about it. For all you may think about what I may be thinking, what I am doing is giving this young man the same wake up call his own buddies would do if they read this and caught it. Not because I want to pick on him. Its because there aren't that many Marines in this world. The few there are, tend to get used very regularly. You can spend your entire career in the Army and never leave the USA. Same with the Air Force. In the Navy, you will almost certainly spend time in the fleet. I don't personally know any Marines except some lead talent in military bands that were in for 6 years that at one time or another weren't in danger overseas. I'm sure it happens. But I have never met anyone that wasn't involved in music that didn't get sent somewhere unpleasant.

I want this kid, and the one next to him to live.

Jim

Edited by JimandSarha

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Jim,...

You can spend your entire career in the Army and never leave the USA.

I dont know what Army your talking about. But my Husband has been in for 14 years,..and had to commit from the get go, to at least one term of service overseas, or overseas deployment. Best you keep, your Military knowledge, or advice to that of what you know best, The USMC.

And for the record,..my Hubby has deployed twice to Iraq, and twice to Bosnia, and also served twice in Germany, as an MP. he just recently indefinately re-enlisted to retire from the Army,...and he does give a damn about his soldiers, thats the main reason he re-upped. He goes out on convoys daily, with his life on the line every single day.

it comes down to commitment and who you are.
That is the same for any branch of the Military, Not just the Marine Corp. This is why people get so damn riled up. It seems like every Marine, has the opinion, that the Marine Corp, is the Best and ONLY, and nothing else comes close. This Once a Marine, always a Marine, may be very much true,..but the attitude you display, is not commitment to your core, nor simply trying to teach this young man a lesson (which is not your job regardless), its disrespect to all other corps. Everybody has a "job" to do, or a commitment to fulfil, if thats more your wording of choice, no one, irrespective of title, job description or core or branch of service, is less important than the other. If you think otherwise, your judgement is clouded.

And times change...what once was YOUR marine Corp, may very well be different thing today, in this politically correct world. So what if the word contract was used,..Shiatttttttttt, maybe it was a poor choice of word, but who cares,..Really??

JOdee

Edited by jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Timeline
I have a gf in the Philippines and i am thinking how should we go on with the process, I really need your help since we are new in thie site.

Here is the story, I am currently working as a marine and my contract will end on the year 2009 but right now I am based in Okinawa Japan, I am staying here until July. Please enlighten me on this, I need to know the step to take. I really wanna be with her, where should I file the visa and what shall we do to do it? ... Your reply is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jim, as you can see you get more than help here... From people who don't know, people who do know, plus the luxury of being scruntinzed for every word you post, and the petty bickering amongst fellow VJers..It really is quite entertaining...

Stay tuned for more to come...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

some of us have. and have the blue id card that goes with it ;)

Jim,...
You can spend your entire career in the Army and never leave the USA.
I dont know what Army your talking about. But my Husband has been in for 14 years,..and had to commit from the get go, to at least one term of service overseas, or overseas deployment. Best you keep, your Military knowledge, or advice to that of what you know best, The USMC.

And for the record,..my Hubby has deployed twice to Iraq, and twice to Bosnia, and also served twice in Germany, as an MP. he just recently indefinately re-enlisted to retire from the Army,...and he does give a damn about his soldiers, thats the main reason he re-upped. He goes out on convoys daily, with his life on the line every single day.

it comes down to commitment and who you are.
That is the same for any branch of the Military, Not just the Marine Corp. This is why people get so damn riled up. It seems like every Marine, has the opinion, that the Marine Corp, is the Best and ONLY, and nothing else comes close. This Once a Marine, always a Marine, may be very much true,..but the attitude you display, is not commitment to your core, nor simply trying to teach this young man a lesson (which is not your job regardless), its disrespect to all other corps. Everybody has a "job" to do, or a commitment to fulfil, if thats more your wording of choice, no one, irrespective of title, job description or core or branch of service, is less important than the other. If you think otherwise, your judgement is clouded.

And times change...what once was YOUR marine Corp, may very well be different thing today, in this politically correct world. So what if the word contract was used,..Shiatttttttttt, maybe it was a poor choice of word, but who cares,..Really??

JOdee

ditto - i spent 10 years in europe. plus two 6 month tours in iraq.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Jim

Touche'

Trust me. Neither ever came near military service. Being a former sailor I know that Marines make the best gate guards ;)

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Jim

Touche'

Trust me. Neither ever came near military service. Being a former sailor I know that Marines make the best gate guards ;)

You are clueless when you speak of me...

I know more than you think.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

:ot2:

I dunno what in the world you guys are doing in this thread... the man just wanted to ask about which visa process he should go through. Some people are just way too sensitive, too edgy or just simply can't stop themselves from making a fuss over simple probs.

Anyways, about military expedite thingy, matt85 did it. ... check this out :

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...dited++military

I think if you're going to get deployed sometime soon, you could try to get your visa process expedited. Do read the guides provided in this site, they are very helpful! Good luck!

Edited by Detty2809

TIMELINE :

Nov 16th, 2006 Sent I-129F to VSC - overnighted

Nov 20th, 2006 NOA1

Dec 4th, 2006 NOA2 !!!!! Dang...that was fast.. thank you GOD....

Dec 12th, 2006 E-mail from NVC : Petition forwarded to US Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia

Dec 14th, 2006 E-mail from US Embassy in Jakarta : Packet 3

Jan 08th, 2007 Medical exam! --- Done! Dunno the result tho......... =/

Feb 06th, 2007 Sent packet 3 back to the Embassy with DHL!!!

Feb 15th, 2007 Packet 4 (By phone...)

Feb 22nd, 2007 Interview date!! - VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Apr 15th, 2007 POE : Detroit

May 04th, 2007 Barefoot wedding at Hutchinson Island, FL

May 09th, 2007 Applied for SSN

May 18th, 2007 SSN Received

June 9th, 2007 AOS + EAD paperwork sent

June 15th, 2007 NOA1 for AOS and EAD

June 18th, 2007 CHECKS CASHED (for both AOS and EAD)

July 10th, 2007 Biometrics Appt.

Aug 02nd, 2007 AOS transferred to CSC

Aug 22nd, 2007 EAD card production ordered!

Aug 29th, 2007 Greencard production ordered!!

Aug 31st, 2007 EAD card received

Sept 7th, 2007 2 Year Greencard received

June 24, 2009 I-751 sent (Priority Mail)

June 29, 2009 NOA 1

July 31, 2009 Biometrics

Oct 30, 2009 Card production ordered!!!

Nov 06, 2009 10 Year Greencard received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.