Marina and Ed

Marine in Japan

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a gf in the Philippines and i am thinking how should we go on with the process, I really need your help since we are new in thie site.

Here is the story, I am currently working as a marine and my contract will end on the year 2009 but right now I am based in Okinawa Japan, I am staying here until July. Please enlighten me on this, I need to know the step to take. I really wanna be with her, where should I file the visa and what shall we do to do it? ... Your reply is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a gf in the Philippines and i am thinking how should we go on with the process, I really need your help since we are new in thie site.

Here is the story, I am currently working as a marine and my contract will end on the year 2009 but right now I am based in Okinawa Japan, I am staying here until July. Please enlighten me on this, I need to know the step to take. I really wanna be with her, where should I file the visa and what shall we do to do it? ... Your reply is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

As I understand it..The US Military gives its servicemen an expedited visa process..

Edited by bucknekkid

Filed: Timeline

As I understand it..The US Military gives its servicemen an expedited visa process..

will you pls explain this for me?

tnx

Timeline

will you pls explain this for me?

tnx

James, I wish I could, but I am no expert...If you sit tight for a bit someone will eventaully respond who has already done or is currently going through the process...You will find a lot of help on this site...Best of luck to you..

First.. start by reading the Guides above.

:guides:

They will not only answer most of your questions but give you a good idea of the over all process. They list everything you need and an idea of how long it takes etc.

I know it doesn't answer you directly but it is really the best way to start.. =) You're in the right place...welcome to Visa Journey.. the first and best step you could take..

Im not exactly sure how the being in the military aspect plays into this. But you do have several options, depending on what you prefer. K-1, you file as an engaged couple, takes about 6-12 months depending which service center you file with and which consulate you go through, sometimes longer for some consulates. Once you get the visa, your fiancee can travel to the US, and you can get married.

If there are reasons you want to get married before hand, you can file for a K-3 or CR-1. K-3 is pretty similar to K-1, as far as time and forms. CR-1 can sometimes take longer, but I think you come to the US as a permanent resident and do not have to file for an AOS. I don't know the specifics of this path as my fiancee and I are applying for a K-1 visa. But again, there are alot of guides on this site to help you out.

Reguardless, applying for a visa is a long process that involves alot of waiting. If you have specific questions, you can probably find the answers on this site or at least find someone with a similar experience.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

Ya understood wrong.

The Military does not help expedite the process whatsoever.

In fact, when we went to the Base Legal aid, they told us that they were too busy with wills & estates for people who were deployed at the time, to even look over our paperwork.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

The USCIS offers military service members being deployed an expedited service. Do not follow bad advice here.

Chat up the others that have gotten it done. It all depends on where you are being deployed.

Best of luck and we appreciate your service to our country. :thumbs:

In fact, when we went to the Base Legal aid, they told us that they were too busy with wills & estates for people who were deployed at the time, to even look over our paperwork.

Edited by William33

If I understand your query clearly, you wanted to petition your filipina fiancee to be with you in america? Well, as the USCIS rule, you have to be in America to file for K-1 application.

I have a friend who's fiance is also outside the US right now, what they did is they file out all the necessary forms and signed and sent it to the petitioners' parents and they let them sent the application to their service center. :)

Hope that helped. :)

Edited by Anthony Julie

You were never a mistake. You were my realization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
The USCIS offers military service members being deployed an expedited service. Do not follow bad advice here.

Chat up the others that have gotten it done. It all depends on where you are being deployed.

Best of luck and we appreciate your service to our country. :thumbs:

actually, she's right. the military does not help expedite the process. and you're right also in that the uscis will expedite if one is in the military and being deployed.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You're 'working' as a Marine? Your 'contract'?

Good God, the Marines I belonged too weren't a job. And I had a commitment, not a contract. What is the world coming too?

Anyway, with your K-1 Application send in your current orders and any that you have pending for a move to a theater of action where the biggest danger isn't getting run over by traffic after 'working'.

Jim

The Few, The Proud, The Contracted Worker.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.