aphailscout

I-765 that was filed with AoS got denied. What does that mean for AoS?

8 posts in this topic

Well today I learned my wife's I-765, which was filed alongside I-485, got denied. I-485 is still pending, and she's already had her fingerprint appointment for it.

My now-wife came to the country with a K1 visa. When filing I-765 we got confused by the wording on #16, and we marked down the incorrect eligibility category for our situation. We marked A9, which I now realize is for people using the K1 visa but WITHIN the 90 say period of entry. We filed after the 90 day period and thus should have marked C9. So it got denied, fair enough.

So what does this mean for the I-485? Is this going to have any impact on the decision for that? Should I call or email the USCIS and explain that we meant to mark C9 on the form? Is there any way to have the I-765 application re-examined as though C9 was marked, or will I have to refile I-765 completely? Will they even look at a second I-765 while we're waiting on I-485? In general, what should we do or expect now?

I know I asked a lot of questions, but I would dearly appreciate answers to as many as you can answer. I'm very shaken up right now. Thank you so much.

Edited by aphailscout

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

nothing I485 will be adjudicated separately and you might be called for an interview. filing another I765 is worthless now, you might have to pay a fee for it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Category for filing as a K-1 entrant before AOS is (a )(6 ), and you have to pay the $380 fee for that.

The above answer is incorrect. It is not useless to file again. You never know how long you may have to wait for the green card. There will be no fee to file for the EAD now. The fee is waived when filed with a pending I-485. The category is (c )(9 )- adjustment applicant. You will need to include a copy of the receipt notice for the I-485 submission to get the fee waived.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

nothing I485 will be adjudicated separately and you might be called for an interview. filing another I765 is worthless now, you might have to pay a fee for it.

This is incorrect just like KayDeeCee said. No, you won't have to pay for it if you send a copy of your AOS NOA1. And right now people are getting their EAD after about 60 days. Green Card can take a year.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

on what grounds ould they deny an EAD?

* - 18th August 2014 - I-129f Sent

* - 21st August 2015 - Recived at CSC

* - 30th September - NOA 1 Received

* - 3rd November - NOA 2 Received

-- was never sent to NVC, got it re approved --

* - 9th January - NOA 2 approved

* - 13th January - Notice from CSC that it was sent this time to NVC

* - 21st January - Received at NVC

* - 22nd January - Case Number assisgned

* - 31st January - left NVC for London

* - 6th Feb - Arrived at Embassy

* - 10th Feb - Packet 3 Received and DS-160 Filled out.

* - 25th February - Medical :dancing:

* - 26th February - readiness form sent

* - 7th April - Interview - approved

* - 14th April - Visa in hand.

* - 17th April Tickets booked http://itsalmo.st/#timetofly

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is incorrect just like KayDeeCee said. No, you won't have to pay for it if you send a copy of your AOS NOA1. And right now people are getting their EAD after about 60 days. Green Card can take a year.

Isn't it the NOA2 that is required? (The letter that states the visa was approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Isn't it the NOA2 that is required? (The letter that states the visa was approved)

You send your I-129F NOA2 in with your AOS correct.

But now we're talking about reapplying for his EAD and he needs to send them his AOS NOA1 to show pending AOS application. If he had AOS NOA2 he wouldn't have to reapply for EAD because that would mean he would have his Green Card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.