mlowen10

Proof of Financial Support - How Long Do I Have to be Employed?

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this forum, forgive me if my question has been asked before, but it's slightly specific.

I am a senior in University (US citizen, will be sponsoring my fiance.) I will be graduating in May. I have been employed for years, but have never met the required 125% guideline. If I get a job out of University that will meet the income requirement, how long will I have to have this job in order to qualify?

Will I have to have this job for potentially 1+ years until my tax returns show that I have met the guidelines? Or will other evidences like pay stubs be accepted?

Ideally, I would like to start the application process as soon as possible after I (hopefully) become employed.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a senior (63) and this will be my second K1 visa. During my 1st K1, I had been unemployed for 2 years and had my employer give me a letter of employment saying how much I was going too make. The sufficed.\

Currently I recieve Social Security and that amount is enough, but too be safe I have another sponsor (my brother) too back me up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I was in my last semester of grad school when I first filed a K-1 for my ex wife and had no issues. Between the original filing date and when she needed the I-134 for her visa application I'd found a job and submitted a letter from my employer with my total annual salary plus a couple of pay stubs with my bi-weekly pay as additional evidence. We had no issues.

Good luck!

You need 3 years of taxes, with the 125% poverty guideline. If you do not meet this, you need a joint sponsor ( anyone who is a US citizen willing to sponsor your fiance)

Good Luck!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

You need 3 years of taxes, with the 125% poverty guideline. If you do not meet this, you need a joint sponsor ( anyone who is a US citizen willing to sponsor your fiance)

Good Luck!!!

MIA1129, could you please link to the official statement of needing 3 years' of taxes? I couldn't find any mention of that on the I-134 instructions. Thanks!

I think that the requirement to provide tax statements or not is embassy/consulate specific. It would pay to check here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/ and find out what is required at your fiance's interview.

As far as I understand, as long as you can prove that the USC's current income meets the poverty line requirement you shouldn't need a co-sponsor or need to supply tax statements unless they are an official requirement of the embassy that you are interviewing at. This should be made clear in the packet that they send out also.

-Tezy (L)

I am the beneficiary :wub:

Our K1 visa journey:

17Sep15: I-129f petition sent via courier to Lewisville, TX

21Sep15: petition received

23Sep15: eNOA1

29Sep15: NOA1 hard copy received, onward to CSC!

23Oct15: eNOA2!!!!! Petition approved!!!!! No RFE, so happy!!!!!

09Nov14: NVC received

13Nov15: Case number assigned

19Nov15: Consulate received

21Nov15: Packet 3 received!!!!!

Fast forward past the couple of months of doubt (his) / confusion (mine) about whether I should be giving up my career for him and maybe he should be trying for residency in NZ instead... :cry:

07Mar16: Packet 3 sent with request for extension of petition

09Mar16: Medical

11Mar16: Interview letter received

31Mar16: Interview APPROVED

28Apr16: POE LAX - America here I come!!!!!

18Jun16: MARRIED!!!!! (L)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good Luck!!!

There is no requirement to have met the 125% income for the last 3 years, nor to provide the last 3 years of tax returns with the I-134. That is not even a requirement with the I-864.

Also, co/joint sponsors do not have to be a USC. They can also be a LPR.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

You need 125% income as of when you APPLY for your finace/spouse/whomever, but 3 years of taxes. Anyways if you are in the US, why havent you done your taxes? You will need to provide that. Everyone does taxes.

There is no requirement to have met the 125% income for the last 3 years, nor to provide the last 3 years of tax returns with the I-134. That is not even a requirement with the I-864.

Also, co/joint sponsors do not have to be a USC. They can also be a LPR.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this forum, forgive me if my question has been asked before, but it's slightly specific.

I am a senior in University (US citizen, will be sponsoring my fiance.) I will be graduating in May. I have been employed for years, but have never met the required 125% guideline. If I get a job out of University that will meet the income requirement, how long will I have to have this job in order to qualify?

1 day.

Will I have to have this job for potentially 1+ years until my tax returns show that I have met the guidelines?

No, former students are always in this category. They know that. Current income, with pay stubs and letter from the employer are key.

Or will other evidences like pay stubs be accepted?

Ideally, I would like to start the application process as soon as possible after I (hopefully) become employed.

Don't need the income until the interview, which is many months away. You could file now.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 10/26/2015 at 11:16 PM, Tezy said:

I think that the requirement to provide tax statements or not is embassy/consulate specific. It would pay to check here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/ and find out what is required at your fiance's interview.

As far as I understand, as long as you can prove that the USC's current income meets the poverty line requirement you shouldn't need a co-sponsor or need to supply tax statements unless they are an official requirement of the embassy that you are interviewing at. This should be made clear in the packet that they send out also.

-Tezy (L)

As far as taxes goes I'm in the process of straightening out my last two years of taxes my question is what exactly do we provide for the tax information is it just a W-2 of how much we made do we send how much we got back as a return I'm a little bit confused on that part I am trying to get that together now while I'm waiting for my notice of action 2.

10-28-2016     I-129F Sent
10-31-2016    129f petition was received by USCIS
11-01-2016    NOA1 Text and Email
11-03-2016    NOA1 Hard Copy Received
01-20-2017    NOA2 APPROVED 
01-25-2017    NOA2 Hard Copy Received
01-31-2017    NVC     Received
01-31-2017 Case Number Received

xx-xx-2017 Lagos Consulate Received
xx-xx-2017 Updated by Embassy/Ready for Interview
xx-xx-2017 Medical
xx-xx-2017 Interview 
xx-xx-2017 Visa Issued
xx-xx-2017 Visa in Hand
xx-xx-2017 US Entry

Filed: Timeline
On 1/10/2017 at 6:00 PM, mzladyq said:

As far as taxes goes I'm in the process of straightening out my last two years of taxes my question is what exactly do we provide for the tax information is it just a W-2 of how much we made do we send how much we got back as a return I'm a little bit confused on that part I am trying to get that together now while I'm waiting for my notice of action 2.

Either an IRS transcript, or the complete tax return (so form 1040/1040EZ plus  W2 plus (possibly) any other form showing income).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.