chilenita88

Permanently residing in US but living in husbands country

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Here's our situation...

My fiancé and a I are going to get married in Chile (his country) Nov 14th. I am planning on staying in Chile and residing there with him until he receives his visa authorization, however, I am not a "current resident" in Chile. Besides having a bit of a more difficult time getting things together in a country outside of the United States if we file our petition in the United States but are residing outside of the US we should not run into any problems right?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by chilenita88

Timeline

You will run into two issues with living outside the US; domicile and income for the I-864.

But if my permanent residence is in the US and the I-864 is filled out by myself and an I-864a filled out by my mother as a sponsor?

Because I know that you can file outside of the United States but obviously when we file I will not have had 6 months of time living there, I dont even know that I will be working in his country.

Edited by chilenita88

Timeline

Or would the K3 visa be more fitting for us than the CR1? That way once we arrive in the US I will have a job and will for sure be living at my parents house.

But once you receive conditional residency through the K3 visa, how long until you are allowed to file for citizenship?

Edited by chilenita88

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Citizenship is 3 years away from when a person becomes a LPR.

If your current and continuing US based income is zero then mom completes an I-864. If mom and dad file a joint tax return then dad would file an 864a to go along with mom's 864. You submit an I-864 regardless.

K3 will cost more money and more time until citizenship eligibility. CR1 is the proper path.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Citizenship is 3 years away from when a person becomes a LPR.

If your current and continuing US based income is zero then mom completes an I-864. If mom and dad file a joint tax return then dad would file an 864a to go along with mom's 864. You submit an I-864 regardless.

K3 will cost more money and more time until citizenship eligibility. CR1 is the proper path.

Does that 3 years include the 2 years conditional residency?

Currently I work, however, I am putting in my two weeks just before I leave the US for Chile. I get married then a week after I arrive in Chile. That wont cause an issue will it, that I currently have an income and then all of a sudden I do not as of a week before my wedding?

So I file a I864 as well as mom and dad will file a I864a?

Sorry for all of the questions! Thanks for your help though!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You won't have a current and continuing income when your spouse has the interview if you are there in Chile for the next how many months. So your income will be zero at filing.

One parent completes an I-864, the other an I-864a. You, as the primary sponsor complete an I-864 regardless of income. Everyone submits the required information/documentation.

Yes, the 3 years includes the 2 conditional years.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

You won't have a current and continuing income when your spouse has the interview if you are there in Chile for the next how many months. So your income will be zero at filing.

One parent completes an I-864, the other an I-864a. You, as the primary sponsor complete an I-864 regardless of income. Everyone submits the required information/documentation.

Yes, the 3 years includes the 2 conditional years.

Thanks so much for the info... everything is very clear to me now! I appreciate it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.