britty

UK Judgement for non payment of debt

31 posts in this topic

Well, you have to wonder how they would report it, since they don't have that number, and since there could be any amount of people with the name 'Elmcitymaven Doe' in America ;)

Yes, in retrospect it does have the distinct whiff of an empty threat... I guess it's the mere thought that I might skip out on the £20k I still owe them for law school that has put them on the defensive! :lol:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You should make sure your bank isn't part of an international bank where the information may be available before presuming that your financial history won't follow you across international borders.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Heya!

I'm good, probably going to be around a bit more now that we're filing again to go back to the US. Been an interesting year trying out living around the world, but the call of family and friends is strongest in the US - so that's where we're going!

Filed: Timeline
Heya!

I'm good, probably going to be around a bit more now that we're filing again to go back to the US. Been an interesting year trying out living around the world, but the call of family and friends is strongest in the US - so that's where we're going!

Oh jeez! The process starts again for you guys!

But you can't say it hasn't been interesting ;)

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Threads dealing with this particular topic bug me. Figure out a way to pay what you owe, IMHO.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Oh jeez! The process starts again for you guys!

But you can't say it hasn't been interesting ;)

It has been interesting. The UK was great, and Ireland's been an absolute blast - I think I just feel like I'm missing out on so much back in the US with my friends and family. I'll miss a LOT of things about living out here - a job with 25 vacation days, the NHS, working (so to speak) public transportation, to name a few - but it'll be good to get home, buy a house, settle in for the duration. Our deposit money will go a LOT further on the property ladder in the US!

I'm just annoyed that the timescales have changed so much. For the K-1 visa, we went through VSC and it took one week for the initial approval. I was just checking the thread in the IR-1/CR-1 forum and there are people who have been waiting for six months for that petition to be approved. So we're in for a long wait, I think...not to mention I don't know what problems having a previously issued K-1 is going to cause. There were no overstays, we never filed for AOS, he's been in and out of the US on the VWP since so I'm fairly certain things are clear...but I'm still expecting issues - particularly now that he has dual citizenship with the UK and Ireland.

Oh well. What will be, will be. The I-130 packet's going out to my mom tomorrow, who will be sending it on to Vermont. And it all begins again from here. Bring it on.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Threads dealing with this particular topic bug me. Figure out a way to pay what you owe, IMHO.

The thing is, you don't know the situation of the OP. There are lots of reasons for having an unpaid debt, not necessarily due to frivolous spending on sex, drugs and rock n' roll. The OP has asked for help in what to do, she already posted she was going to contact the company to try to work something out. So aside from making you feel holier-than-thou and the OP feel like #######, what use was your comment?

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The thing is, you don't know the situation of the OP. There are lots of reasons for having an unpaid debt, not necessarily due to frivolous spending on sex, drugs and rock n' roll. The OP has asked for help in what to do, she already posted she was going to contact the company to try to work something out. So aside from making you feel holier-than-thou and the OP feel like #######, what use was your comment?

Yea - U go Candace! I 100% agree with you!!

OUR K-1 VISA JOURNEY

K1 Application

12-01-2006 I-129F sent priority USPS to CSC ... the real journey begins! (Day 1)

12-06-2006 NOA1 (Day 4)

03-05-2007 NOA2 - YAY!! (Day 89))

05-04-2007 INTERVIEW!!!!!! - APPROVED! (Day 149)

05-10-2007 Visa received (Day 155)

05-17-2007 ARRIVED IN PHOENIX (Day 162)

05-25-2007 Applied SSN

06-04-2007 Received SSN in the mail

06-14-2007 Passed driving test and now have my license

07-12-2007 MARRIED

07-24-2007 Changed name with SSA

AOS

05-31-2007 Appointment with Civil Surgeon for I-693A

07-16-2007 AOS sent to Chicago (received 07-18) (Day 1)

07-27-2007 NOA1 date (received 8/1) (Day 9)

07-30-2007 Check cashed (Day 12)

08-14-2007 Biometrics (Day 28)

11-29-2007 INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!! (Day 131) APPROVED

12-11-2007 Greencard Received

ROC

09-01-2009 I-751 sent to VSC (received 09-03) (Day 1)

09-04-2009 NOA Date (received 09-14) (Day 4)

09-08-2009 Check Cashed (Day 8)

10-05-2009 Biometrics @ Jackson MS (received 09-24) (Day 35)

01-08-2010 10 Year Greencard approved

01-19-2010 10 Year Greencard received

glitterfy011155737dkj7.gif glitterfy011545702wxh7.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My brother-in-law is a lawyer in the UK. He's been trying to convince my husband that he shouldn't bother with trying to pay off his credit card balance when he leaves the UK. It's not a huge debt, and I really want him to pay it off, but I think my husband's been a little bit tempted to follow his brother's advice.

I thought his brother didn't know what he was talking about. Surely, this can't be legal, can it? What's to stop someone from taking out a loan or going on a spending spree and then fleeing the country without plans to repay the debt?

***I-130***

2006-10-11 I-130 NOA1

2007-02-05 approved

***I-129F***

2006-10-23 I-129F NOA1

2007-02-05 approved

2007-04-30 Interview--Visa Approved!

2007-05-07 Gary arrives in US

208 days from filing to interview

****EAD****

2007-05-15 Sent to Chicago

2007-05-22 NOA1

2007-06-12 Biometrics

2007-09-07 approved! (115 loooooong days)

2007-09-17 card received in mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please don't put words/inferences into my mouth that never came out of it.

If you look at my statement, it does NOT pass judgement on HOW the OP gained the debt, that really has nothing to do with the point of this thread. Anyways, it looked to me that she was looking for a way to deal with the problem. My response wasn't to the OP, it was a general comment against the "just forget about it, they can't do anything to you" kinds of statements. This type of thread has come up numerous times and that kind of response bugs me to no end for a number of different reasons. Perhaps I needed to be more specific and direct.

For the record, I'm currently (slowly) paying off three substantial debts I left behind in Canada. It hasn't been easy. And no, if you knew me, I do not say that to be holier-than-thou.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

I would point out for the couple of comments that were a little negative, I have now made an agreement to pay with the company concerned who are very happy with the terms and I will have paid off the outstanding amount within 6 months, with reversion to the original agreement at that time. I have an excellent credit score in the UK and do want to keep this intact in case I should ever need credit there in the future.

Thanks to all for the advice. I am sure it helped others in the same position, reading this thread also.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.