starlisle

K1 and K2 questions

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

So I have a child that I will bring with me if we get our K1 approved.

I have however some questions.
I know I have to mention my child somewhere on the i129F form. But do I send in the K2 papers with the K1 papers or is it two separate applications? I know payments are supposed to be made separately right?

But do I send the papers together? And is it just one form for the K2 or do I have documents to submit with the K2 as well? And if yes, what documents do I have to send with the K2 visa?

And is the K1 and K2 processed at the same time? (Seems weird if one of them can be approved before the other?)

Will it take longer for our application to be approved because of me having a child I will bring with me? The child's age is 5. So well under 18.

Anyone please help.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your fiance only have to include your child's name in the I 129F. That's it, no need to attached any other supporting docs for your child.

The ds 160 and payment will be done when your i 129f was approved then you can apply k1 and K2 visa in your local embassy.

Follow the guide here in VJ for the docs and procesures for i129f filing.

AOS/ AED/ AP:

(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC

My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

So I have a child that I will bring with me if we get our K1 approved.

I have however some questions.

I know I have to mention my child somewhere on the i129F form. But do I send in the K2 papers with the K1 papers or is it two separate applications? I know payments are supposed to be made separately right?

But do I send the papers together? And is it just one form for the K2 or do I have documents to submit with the K2 as well? And if yes, what documents do I have to send with the K2 visa?

And is the K1 and K2 processed at the same time? (Seems weird if one of them can be approved before the other?)

Will it take longer for our application to be approved because of me having a child I will bring with me? The child's age is 5. So well under 18.

Anyone please help.

Just write the name of your child in your i-29f form,no document for the k2 needs to submit while filing your i-29f.listing your child's name will not affect on when your petition will be approved.

Timeline

Just write the name of your child in your i-29f form,no document for the k2 needs to submit while filing your i-29f.listing your child's name will not affect on when your petition will be approved.

When do I pay the fee for the K2?

I dont understand what you guys meant with the embassy?

When do I pay the fee for the K2?

I dont understand what you guys meant with the embassy?

You will pay the visa fee for both K1 and K2 once your petition is approved .i think for you to avoid confusion at this moment,first wait the result in USCIS for your petition,if once your petition is approved,then we will guide you step by step.. Edited by hardrockangel

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Initially, at the visa petition phase of the K1/K2 process, all you have to do is list the prospective K2 visa child in the appropriate areas of the Form I-129F. Later on, at the visa application phase of the K1/K2 process (at the interviewing embassy/consulate), there will be much more information/forms/documents/fees required at that time for the child's K2 visa. The specifics can be a little different at each interviewing embassy/consulate, here is a link to a general overview of the K2 process from the DOS: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html#14

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

You will pay the visa fee for both K1 and K2 once your petition is approved .i think for you to avoid confusion at this moment,first wait the result in USCIS for your petition,if once your petition is approved,then we will guide you step by step..

I have read you provide a receipt of payment with the I129F, then what is the fee I should pay with the I129F application?

Timeline

Initially, at the visa petition phase of the K1/K2 process, all you have to do is list the prospective K2 visa child in the appropriate areas of the Form I-129F. Later on, at the visa application phase of the K1/K2 process (at the interviewing embassy/consulate), there will be much more information/forms/documents/fees required at that time for the child's K2 visa. The specifics can be a little different at each interviewing embassy/consulate, here is a link to a general overview of the K2 process from the DOS: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html#14

How do I find what documents that are required? I cant think of what they would want from a child? And I rather know now so I can see if theres something I have issues obtaining. Checked the link you provided which gave a good overview but would be really grateful if you or anyone else could provide me with a list of documents needed for the K2.

I have single custody and her dad is like lost to the world so I cannot get any papers from her dad, like a copy of his passport and such. Because even the authorities are searching for him but noone knows where he is but me having single custody I am hoping this is no problem.

Timeline

"Separate visa applications must be submitted for each K-2 visa applicant, and each applicant must pay the K visa application fee." (taken from the website you linked)

What exactly is considered the visa application? Is that at the embassy? And what is that called other than visa application? And where is the fee paid, at the embassy?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

How do I find what documents that are required?Contact the interviewing embassy/consulate. I cant think of what they would want from a child?Birth cert, medical exam/records, etc. And I rather know now so I can see if theres something I have issues obtaining. Checked the link you provided which gave a good overview but would be really grateful if you or anyone else could provide me with a list of documents needed for the K2. see below

I have single custody and her dad is like lost to the world so I cannot get any papers from her dad, like a copy of his passport and such. Because even the authorities are searching for him but noone knows where he is but me having single custody I am hoping this is no problem. Having legal documentation of that situation may be necessary.

As previously mentioned, as that the requirements/procedures/documents are likely a little different at each interviewing embassy/consulate, you have to contact the embassy/consulate for more specific information. :thumbs:

By way of example, here is a copy of the specific requirements from the US consulate in Guangzhou, obviously it is not entirely applicable to your particular situation. My wife and stepson received a similar document after the consulate received their case file from NVC. I daresay, you won't get a similar document in Mandarin from the Stockholm embassy. :no: Check the VJ Europe/Eurasia Regional Forum for more specific information. :yes:

http://ustraveldocs.com/cn/K1%20Instruction%20DS160%2020140711%28CN%29.pdf

It sounds like it will be quite awhile before you will be at this step in the K1/K2 visa process, according to current K1 NOA2 processing times: http://www.visajourney.com/content/times

"Separate visa applications must be submitted for each K-2 visa applicant, and each applicant must pay the K visa application fee." (taken from the website you linked)

What exactly is considered the visa application? Is that at the embassy? And what is that called other than visa application? And where is the fee paid, at the embassy?

Continue to read the contents of the DOS Nonimmigrant Visa link previously provided. :thumbs:

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

"Separate visa applications must be submitted for each K-2 visa applicant, and each applicant must pay the K visa application fee." (taken from the website you linked) - You are not on this process yet. Worry about this when you I-129F is approved or when you received your NOA 2, I797 Notice of Approval. For now concentrate on your I-129 application.

What exactly is considered the visa application? - Visa application you quote above is being applied when you have the actual approval of I-129F or NOA2. Is that at the embassy? YES, should be done at your local embassy in Sweden. And what is that called other than visa application? And where is the fee paid, at the embassy? - OK, you are so confused my dear. You are reading guides for K1, K2 process at the local embassy. You are not on this stage yet.

Let us step back. You are processing now the I-129 F right? That is To petition to bring a fiancé(e) (K-1) of a USC and that person's children to the U.S. for marriage. You are the beneficiary with a child and your fiance is the USC petitioner. Concentrate on the I-129 application and requirements for now. You are not yet applying for a K1, K2 Visa, you need your I129F Petition approved first.

Payment for the I-129F application is $340. This is the filling fee that should be done by your fiance, money order or check through a US bank. See the screeshot below. You can read that on the instruction link I posted below.

post-213483-0-76746000-1442544585_thumb.

post-213483-0-76746000-1442544585_thumb.jpg

A MUST to read: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

AOS/ AED/ AP:

(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC

My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have read you provide a receipt of payment with the I129F, then what is the fee I should pay with the I129F application?

There are two different processes to receiving a K visa. First is the USC filing the I-129F petition on behalf of their foreign fiance(e). One that is approved, the foreign fiance(e) and their children are then eligible to apply for K-1/K-2 visas at the US consulate abroad in their country. The petition is handled by the USCIS. The actual visa application process is handled by the Dept. of State. They are the ones that issue US visas.

Read through the I-129F instructions before going any further and filing anything. The fee for the I-129F petition($340) is listed on the USCIS website where you download the form. Instructions on who to make the check/money order out to are in the instructions as well. > http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Once you get the I-129F petition approved, your case will go through the NVC(National Visa Center-part of the Dept. of State), be given a case number that correlates to your consulate, and then forwarded to your consulate. Once your consulate has your case, you can apply for the K-1/K-2 visas. Each K visa will require a visa processing fee, which is currently $265. You will need to submit a DS-160(visa application form) for each visa and each have a medical as well. Your consulate may have instructions listed on its website, or they may send you their instructions after receiving your case. Documentation for the visa interview will be required then, and most likely outlined/detailed by your consulate. The general process and requirements can be found on the DoS(Dept. of State) website here > http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.