bakersolay

AOS FROM TOURIST VISA QUESTION

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

hello, if me and my fiance were to marry while she is here on a tourist visa, where would the interview/medical exam be would it be in

the petitioners home country or here in the U.S. instead. and if we were to marry and apply for AOS would she be allowed to stay?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Yes, if she would be doing her medical in US. Once you apply for i130/AOS along with the medical, she will be allowed to stay with you in US. AOS interview (if needed) will be done in US.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

yes we applied for k1 visa but she is here now, we were thinking of just getting married since she is already here,,

wasnt our initial plan. is there any part of the AOS process that would require her to return to her country?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

yes we applied for k1 visa but she is here now, we were thinking of just getting married since she is already here,,

wasnt our initial plan. is there any part of the AOS process that would require her to return to her country?

No, in fact she CAN'T return to her own country until the AOS is finalised.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

If the USCIS feels you came to the US on a tourist visa knowing you were going to marry while in process of waiting for a k1, that is visa fraud and it will cause you many troubles.

Edited by dmck

Timeline

why would anyone have a intent to marry while waiting on a k1 visa,, our intent to marry was

on the k1 visa, but we decided differetly so there was no intent to marry here obviously or we wouldnt of

botherd with a k1 in the first place

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

If the USCIS feels you came to the US on a tourist visa knowing you were going to marry while in process of waiting for a k1, that is visa fraud and it will cause you many troubles.

You are wrong. She is already in the US. Immigrant intent does not matter. Even if she had the intent to immigrate, USCIS can not deny her AOS based on preconceived intent since she is an Immediate Relative of a USC. Please read Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavazos.

If she was outside the US, then she would have a problem at the POE with the intent to immigrate. Once she is admitted into the US, immigrant intent is no longer an issue for someone who AOS as an IR of a USC.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I m adjusting from B1/b2 too. according to my lawyer, i should fine adjusting my status.

08/06/2015: AOS Package Mailed

08/10/2015: AOS Package Received

08/20/2015: NOA Received ( All Three )

08/22/2015: Biometric Appointment Letter Received

08/31/2015: Biometric Appointment (DONE)

10/19/2015: EAD card produced

10/20/2015: EAD card mailed

10/22/2015: EAD in hand

10/23/2015: Got my learners permit

Timeline

I m adjusting from B1/b2 too. according to my lawyer, i should fine adjusting my status.

You are fine.

It's true that it is immigration fraud to enter the US on a non-immigrant visa with the intent to immigrate. However, immigrant intent is irrelevant when an Immediate Relative of a US citizen seeks to adjust status.

Once pass the POE, case law (Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavaozos) states that USCIS can not deny the AOS of an IR of a USC for immigrant intent. This means that even if the person entered with the intent to immigrate, USCIS can not base a denial on that.

Laws are made up by many people. Sometimes there are inconsistencies. For some people, immigrant intent matters at the POE but not after that.

Filed: Timeline

and people continue to wonder why so many girlfriends and boyfriends from other countries have difficulties getting tourist visas...thanks to these 'sudden' mind changes..do you really think that an experienced consular officer will be generous when they see so many mind changes in the country in which they are working? (they do receive notification from USCIS when somebody has the mind change that results in an AOS request)...

refusals don't take place because some consular officer is having a bad day...it's because of the constant reminder that mind changes seem to take place so frequently at baggage claim...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

It seems like a lot of people use Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavaozos to get around having to file for a K1 or Spousal visa... I know lots of people truly do not intend to get married and stay, but many do and would never admit it.

Bottom line, the forums are somewhat split on this matter. People will argue for or against AOS on a tourist visa / VWP, but you just have to make your own decision. If you really had no intent to stay, then it's perfectly legal.

Edited by chaoticlogic

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It seems like a lot of people use Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavaozos to get around having to file for a K1 or Spousal visa... I know lots of people truly do not intend to get married and stay, but many do and would never admit it.

Bottom line, the forums are somewhat split on this matter. People will argue for or against AOS on a tourist visa / VWP, but you just have to make your own decision. If you really had no intent to stay, then it's perfectly legal.

One of the reasons I don't envy the task the moderators of this site have.

Site rules don't allow anyone to help people commit visa fraud, but on the other hand the immigration laws allow people to commit fraud. Bit of a crazy situation.

Anyone coming to this site can see dozens of posts that tell you that you can get a greencard after entering on a tourist visa/VWP. Someone sat in their home country who doesn't feel like waiting months for a K1 or CR1 could be encouraged by these posts in to the idea that as long as they get past POE then they'll be fine.

So, perfectly legal posts advising people of their legal right to adjust status could inadvertently be encouraging unscrupulous people to commit fraud.

Where do the moderators draw the line between advising on immigration fraud and advising genuine AOS cases?

An almost impossible situation in my opinion.

Edited by MacUK

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

well in fact we do have a k1 visa in process,, but since shes here now,, we were thinking of just canceling it, and marrying and applying for aos since neither of us want her to leave, and the country the embassy is in is very dangerous and she would be alone

Timeline

well in fact we do have a k1 visa in process,, but since shes here now,, we were thinking of just canceling it, and marrying and applying for aos since neither of us want her to leave, and the country the embassy is in is very dangerous and she would be alone

The law is on your side. You do not need to justify why you want to adjust to anyone, including the folks here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.