Hibara

Kind of complicated story.. ideas appreciated~

106 posts in this topic

Some of the obstacles you will probably face.

1. Your age is likely to generate some questions in the visa process. I don't think it will be a reason for denial, but then I dont work for the consulate.

2. Without a high school diploma, your going to find it next to impossible to get work in the US. The work available to those without a high school diploma doesn't pay very well at all. In the case that your marriage doesn't work out and you are already in the US, what will you do?

3. 15-16 is a very young age to commit to marriage. (Some people are not ready to get married even at 20) Some people have reached a maturity at that age where they are capable of handling it, but most people haven't yet. In which case, the marriage fails and ends up in divorce. Again, you will be away from any support net without much for means of supporting yourself if this does happen to you.

4. Depending where you end up living in the US, you may see some cultural bias against marrying so young. (Its more acceptable in some communities more than others).

I'm not saying that you cant make this happen, but you will face challenges. Are those challenges worth it? We can tell you here what to expect, as well as give advice. But this is something you have to decide for yourself. Once your married, everything changes. Even more so if you have kids. Compound that with moving to a new country, and its quite a lot for you to handle.

keTiiDCjGVo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

his mom actually has a job lined up for me whenever i need it, helping her out with the clerical side of the family business, so rest assured i won't be that mcdonalds teenager. my boyfriend's not exactly poor either, he earns quite a lot. what my plan is is to get over there first, since i'm more or less incapable of staying here, wait until i can get settled and then go back to school, take night classes to get my GED.

also, yeah, i know about the challenges, and i definitely wouldn't be considering any of this if i didn't know i could do it. my support net is his family, since i'm quite close to them, much more than my actual family in australia.

Edited by Hibara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You obviously had your mind made up when you asked for advice and are looking for some kind of escape, so just know that it's not as easy as it seems going in, and we (everyone, I am speaking from experience) often thinks they're way more mature than they really are (at any age). Life has a way of happening, and it doesn't always turn out the way we planned on.

I'm not sure what you consider "quite a lot" as far as money goes (I know when I was 15 I considered 8 dollars an hour a TON so that's the only reason I say anything), but I make a decent living for not having a college degree and "quite a lot" can turn into "very little" way faster than you know. Good luck.

his mom actually has a job lined up for me whenever i need it, helping her out with the clerical side of the family business, so rest assured i won't be that mcdonalds teenager. my boyfriend's not exactly poor either, he earns quite a lot. what my plan is is to get over there first, since i'm more or less incapable of staying here, wait until i can get settled and then go back to school, take night classes to get my GED.

also, yeah, i know about the challenges, and i definitely wouldn't be considering any of this if i didn't know i could do it. my support net is his family, since i'm quite close to them, much more than my actual family in australia.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Couldn't agree with you more, meow mix!

Yes, 16 years old seems not the time for marriage, to me :no: It's the time for "discover" about sex, i guess...he he...

I still remember how i was in that age, i thought i could do any thing, i thought i could "fly as a bird"...many dreams and plans...My ex bf whom i considered i would marry him when i was 18 now is a "stranger" to me, we loved each other to die at that time and we thought disaster would come if we could not get married, we had plan to get married at once after we graduated college. Now what? I have new life, completely different life after my teen ages passed over. Changing hormones and everything seems affected to your mind, your behaviors also! My advise is very simple: " Think everything all over again and make your own decision, you will be to be responsible for it the rest of your life". Wish you the bright life with the man whom you love and you would never have to say "I regret"!

You can go to the US with K3 visa though (fiancee visa is too risky)

Our time line:

Aug-2006: I129F sent

Oct-2006: NOA2

Dec-2006:packet 3 received and sent

Dec-2006 to Jan-2007:visit her again in 11 days (fourth trip)

Feb-2007: packet 4 received

March-19th-2007: INTERVIEW PASSED

March-17th-2007: visit her again and join her interview (fifth trip)

March-20th-2007: visa pick up

March-23th-2007: POE at LA (easy and fast)

http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-Uv7PHgY_ar...tGl8kO81e.0AOJ3

http://tracyreed.org/

May-07th-2007: got married

May-30th-2007: AOS sent (included I-131 and I-765)

June-01th-2007:AOS forms delivered

June-09th-2007:NOA for all forms(notice date June-05-2007)

July-19th-2007 :Biometrics done (AOS&EAD)

September-04th-2007: AOS interview

August-17th-2007: Advance parole and EAD card recived (middle name on Advance parole paper was typo, mailed papers asking for correction to USCIS in Chicago, how annoying it is!)

September-04-2007: AOS interview, case pending for Security clearance (the game begins)

April-30-2008: Name check was clear, waiting for green card delivery(made 3 inform pass in April, May and June, my file was forgotten in the office where we were interviewed)

July-16-2008:Card production ordered

July-19-2008:Welcome letter received in mail

July-22-2008:Approval notice sent

July-23-2008:Green card arrived in mail

Timeline

:thumbs:

I got married recently and I'm only 20, which I know is young, but I'm eons beyond where I was at 16. It's hard at 20, at 25, at 30...no way would I do it at 16, combined with moving to a new country etc etc.

Couldn't agree with you more, meow mix!

Yes, 16 years old seems not the time for marriage, to me :no: It's the time for "discover" about sex, i guess...he he...

I still remember how i was in that age, i thought i could do any thing, i thought i could "fly as a bird"...many dreams and plans...My ex bf whom i considered i would marry him when i was 18 now is a "stranger" to me, we loved each other to die at that time and we thought disaster would come if we could not get married, we had plan to get married at once after we graduated college. Now what? I have new life, completely different life after my teen ages passed over. Changing hormones and everything seems affected to your mind, your behaviors also! My advise is very simple: " Think everything all over again and make your own decision, you will be to be responsible for it the rest of your life". Wish you the bright life with the man whom you love and you would never have to say "I regret"!

You can go to the US with K3 visa though (fiancee visa is too risky)

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

you sound like a dumb azz! I cant belive you are even beliving this garbage you are typing.

" so rest assured i won't be that mcdonalds teenager. my boyfriend's not exactly poor either, he earns quite a lot. what my plan is is to get over there first, since i'm more or less incapable of staying here, wait until i can get settled and then go back to school, take night classes to get my GED. "

Bullchit! - stay in school, finish and then pick up a REAL trade. then consider marriage!! DUH!

shon.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I Am pretty sure the legal age to marry in Australia is 18yrs unless you have parents permisson and a court order

Being in love is the best feeling, BUT being married is Hard work no matter how much you love your partner

Please think long and hard before you move to the other side of the world, eg: what support would you have here in the States if something was to go wrong,

lynny

Nov 11th 2003 sent i29f form to VSC

Nov 18th 2003 received NOA 1

Jan 17th 2004 NOA 2

Feb 6th 2004 received package 3

March 11th 2004 recieved package 4

April 7th 2004 interview in Sydney

April 7th 2004 VISA GRANTED

April 27th 2004 Arrive in Boston 8.30pm

may 29th 2004 WEDDING DAY

May 11th 2004 applied for SSN

May 17th received SSN card

June 12th 2004 applied for AOS EAD AP

July 7th 2004 NOA received for AOS EAD

August 3rd 2004 Biometrics appt in Rhode Island

EAD approved online Aug 3rd 2004

EAD card arrived in the Mail Aug 9th 2004

started working 13th September 2004

applied for renewal of EAD May 9th 2005

bio appt for EAD renewal June 10th 2005 in Boston

July 6th renewal EAD approved

July 12th 2005 renewal EAD arrived in the mail

Sept 12th AOS suspended until FBI fingerprints are done

Sept 17th FBI fingerprint appt

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview success

Timeline

hah. that's what I wish I had said. :P

you sound like a dumb azz! I cant belive you are even beliving this garbage you are typing.

" so rest assured i won't be that mcdonalds teenager. my boyfriend's not exactly poor either, he earns quite a lot. what my plan is is to get over there first, since i'm more or less incapable of staying here, wait until i can get settled and then go back to school, take night classes to get my GED. "

Bullchit! - stay in school, finish and then pick up a REAL trade. then consider marriage!! DUH!

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Timeline

When I first started dating my bf who is in Australia, I didn't immediately jump to the whole marriage thing. That's something you really want to think about. I mean living together, and being that committed is a huge thing and being so young (not that i'm that old, i'm only 22) you change a lot in the way you think, & the person you become.

I took the less permanent route when I wanted to spend time with my bf. I did a study abroad program for 6 months in Australia. It was great! It's usually not that expensive, and plus you get to go to school! You don't put off anytime while trying to explore what it's like being with your boyfriend. I thought that was a huge plus, not having to put off school and getting to travel as well!

You should really think about that option since you are still... 16. What's wrong with putting things(marriage) off for a few years? I mean if you guys are meant to be together, he'll still be there in two years ;)

But yeah, that's just my humble opinion, from someone who did do the study abroad thing. You get the freedom of not being around your parents, and being with your boyfriend!

My timeline:

02 - 09 - 2007 - Sending off of my I-129F package

02 - 13 - 2007 - NOA1 Received

02 - 21 - 2007 - Touched!

03 - 01 - 2007 - NOA2 Received

03 - 02 - 2007 - Touched Again!

03 - 06 - 2007 - NVC Received

03 - 07 - 2007 - Was told by email I-129F will be forwarded to Sydney

03 - 08 - 2007 - I-129F picked up by DHL and on it's way to Sydney!!

03 - 12 - 2007 - Sydney Consulate received packet! From DHL: 1:48 pm Shipment delivered WOOT

03 - 19 - 2007 - Packet Three is sent off!

03 - 20 - 2007 - Corey goes to get his fingerprints/police check completed. Now we wait for the investigation and then I can be assured he's not a criminal =]

03 - 21 - 2007 - Corey gets Pkt 3 via Registered Mail

03 - 22 - 2007 - Sent Corey a copy of all the documents and the notarized I-134.. hopefully everything arrives safely!

04 - 17 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Examination.. Let's hope everything goes great!

05 - 01 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Rescheduled to this date because doctor was away!

05 - 04 - 2007 - Corey's Initial Interview date! (We only had ONE week's notice!)

05 - 30 - 2007 - Corey's Rescheduled Interview date because there was no time for the initial one

i'd actually like to reiterate that i came here for visa information and options, not an analysis on my relationship and certainly not to be called names.

i'm aware that i'm young. i know that it's not considered wise to be getting married so young. but i either do this, or i stay here for another two years. and for the risk of sounding like a stupid teenager to all of you, who'll probably think i'm blowing everything out of proportion, i'm not going into why i can't stay here.

all i came here for was some information on what to do, because i didn't know where else to ask.

i looked into student visa options while i was still in school, and my parents said they wouldn't pay for it.

i don't know how much my boyfriend is paid, but i know it's a lot more than $8 an hour. =/

it's perfectly alright for some of you to blame my hormones for this, i expected it. but that does not make it true.

thank you for your time.

Timeline

:blink:

WOW

11/27/2006 Filed I-129F

12/01/06 received at CSC NOA1

12/09/06 checked cleared

02/28/07 touched!

02/28/07 NOA2 via email 3 of them!!!!

03/01/07 touched

03/09/07 NOA2 received via snail mail

03/20/07 Received email from Sydney that packet 3 should be mailed out tomorrow

03/26/07 Fiance received packet 3

4/26/07 Fiance medical appointment

5/01/07 New date of medical appointment

5/14/07 Fiance interview date!

VISA APPROVED!

6/8/07 My fiance arrives in America

7/14/07 Wedding day!

Timeline

:wacko::bonk:

:blink:

WOW

Edited by meow mix

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Actually, YOU sound far more like a 'dumb azz'. Your spelling is disgraceful, I would assume you finished school, yet this 15 year old sounds more mature and educated than you do....

Back to the original poster, yes you are young, but it seems you have given a lot of thought to what you are doing, I wish you all the best!

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hibara:

I read your post when you posted it but had no clue what to say and I'm sorry I had no advice for you given the visa regulations! I'm also sorry about the poster who called you names - that was highly inappropriate and uncalled for. And you do not sound stupid at all; it does sound like you've thought a lot about this.

15 does seem pretty young but sometimes 15 year olds can be a lot more mature than 50 year olds.

Personally, I do think it wise to consider more seriously whether you really want to get married right now though. Everyone is different and you just might be ready to get married now, but at the same time, a lot of people think they are ready to get married (at ANY age,) and do it too quickly, and then their happiness is dashed and before you know it they either want a divorce, or are not happy together (who thinks that will happen to them when they believe they are in love?) No one knows why you and your fiancé want to get married, and in my opinion, it's not necessarily your age, but rather how compatible you truly are and whether you TRULY share the same values, that matters. The only thing here about age is that you can change a LOT in five or ten years and have a lot more firmer values and beliefs than you do now at 15, but a marriage in and of itself I don't think would necessarily be wrong - it depends on the motives. If you want to get married because you think you and your boyfriend are in love and because you want to escape either your country or people in your country because you think life will be better with your boyfriend and just so you don't have to be in Australia for two more years, I'd say that you shouldn't - marriage, AND going all the way on the other side of the country are huge responsibilities. I don't know your story or your reasons but getting married to escape a situation is not good (and I'm not saying you are, or that you have to explain - it's just a gentle warning. ;))

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
i'd actually like to reiterate that i came here for visa information and options, not an analysis on my relationship and certainly not to be called names.

i'm aware that i'm young. i know that it's not considered wise to be getting married so young. but i either do this, or i stay here for another two years. and for the risk of sounding like a stupid teenager to all of you, who'll probably think i'm blowing everything out of proportion, i'm not going into why i can't stay here.

all i came here for was some information on what to do, because i didn't know where else to ask.

i looked into student visa options while i was still in school, and my parents said they wouldn't pay for it.

i don't know how much my boyfriend is paid, but i know it's a lot more than $8 an hour. =/

it's perfectly alright for some of you to blame my hormones for this, i expected it. but that does not make it true.

thank you for your time.

I really would like to say something about your case and i thought you said "ideas appreciated" but reading from the ones who responded to your post and your reply didn't quite match at all. Darling, the people whom you are asking opinions or "ideas" doesn't mean something bad on you, for all they care BUT these are people who are steps ahead of you and they know what they are talking about( especially for the visa information).

You decide at the end what path you are going to take... either go for the K1, CR1 or student or whatever... but just know that there are risk in everything you do. One major thing might hinder your application is your age. US goverment is weeding out people that eventually becomed a public charge later. And they will also question if you really have a geniune relationship with these man or not or else they will put you under administrative review and hold your application. You think about that and you decide.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.