skyking02

Book Ticket and Waiting for Visa

17 posts in this topic

I think so. I read it somewhere on here before. The airport only needs passport i think for tickets.

May 7, 2014 - I-130 sent to Chicago, IL Lockbox

May 12, 2014 - Case recieved at Chicago, IL.

May 13, 2014 - Case accepted. Received LIN#. Case forwarded to USCIS, Nebraska. i-797 hard copy received shortly after.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can you book plane tickets and wait for visa to arrive? Passed interview, now waiting for visa. Can i go ahead and book plane ticket 2 weeks in advance?

You can do whatever you want. If the visa isn't received in time are you willing to lose out on that money and rebuy another ticket? That's your risk to take. Mine took a month to get and there was no AP.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

It is usually advised not to book the ticket before you have your passport in hand as you don't know how long it will take to arrive.

Edited by Tracy-->NY

My Journey

Priority Date: July 24, 2007 (EAC)

AOS fee paid: February 2013

Request embassy change: May 2013

Son born: September 2013 (added to petition March 2014)

Interview: March 17, 2015 (Joint sponsor needed)

Joint sponsor documents submitted: April 27, 2015

Visas approved and issued: April 30, 2015. Had to return to embassy to do oath for son :)

Visa in hand: May 5, 2015 (two working days after issued)

IV fees paid: August 10, 2015

POE: JFK - September 10, 2015 (one day before visa expiry date - No hassle)

Returned to Barbados: September 28, 2015

Green cards: October 5, 2015 :dancing:

Entered US permanently: March 22, 2016

Applied for SSNs: March 28, 2016 (didn't tick box on DS-260)

SSN received: April 4, 2016;

Learner's permit: April 7, 2016 (in NY you also have to do 5-hour class);

Driver's License: July 13, 2016 (on first try) :dancing:

Husband's Journey (F2A)

Married: September 2015

I-130 sent: October 8, 2015 (via USPS)

Priority date: October 9, 2015 (WAC)

Petition approved: March 8, 2016 (5 months to the date of receipt) :)

NVC Welcome Letter: May 13, 2016
AOS documents sent: August 8, 2016
Case complete: September 14, 2016 (the waiting continues
:clock:).

Interview:  October 5, 2017 (Approved - Issued following day :))

Visa in hand:  October 12, 2017

POE:  October 13, 2017

Green card:

SSN:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Do not book anything until you have the visa physically in your hands. Period. There can be unforeseen delays, we have seen it time and again in this forum when people buy tickets and they lose their money because they jumped the gun.

Can you book plane tickets and wait for visa to arrive? Passed interview, now waiting for visa. Can i go ahead and book plane ticket 2 weeks in advance?

Do not be cheap and purchase a non-refundable, non-changeable ticket so IF the passport arrives you can leave as planned, but if it is delayed you just change your departure date without spending more money. Otherwise, wait until the passport with visa is in your hands and then book the cheaper non-refundable, non-changeable ticket. IMHO, 2 weeks is cutting it too close for my comfort. YMMV.

Now if you were going thru the Almaty Consulate, you would not need to ask this questions as they issue the visa the next day and you have in the day after that which is Thursday. Since we do not know which country you are at, :time: it is hard to say how long of a wait you will have.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

The US Embassy advises not to buy plane tickets, quit jobs, etc. before getting the visa. You can buy plane tickets before getting the visa, but you will be going against the advice of the US Embassy.

If the visa is not issued before the flight, the US Embassy will not help you.

The smart move is to wait until the visa is in hand before making further plans. This is what the US Embassy advises.

Best of luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiance bought her ticket 2 weeks advance right after her interview. She lives in HCM and it didn't get to her til 7 days after interview and 3 days after visa was issued. But then again, the visa was delayed 2 days after interview due to being weekend and they don't work weekend at the consulate. So it is a gamble if you are willing to take and obviously me and my fiance took the risk and it works out perfectly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I would wait until you have the visa in hand.

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

My girl got her F1 visa at 3pm on a Friday. I booked her flight immediately and she caught a plane at 10:00pm that night. was 900.00 one way from Philippines but so what?

Do not purchase the ticket until you have your visa in hand!!!! I cannot stress that enough, my husband's visa was delayed due to the database crash, and if we had bought his ticket on the day we agreed he'd come over we would have lost a ton of money because he didn't actually get his visa back until five days after we thought he'd be over. You don't know what will happen between leaving the embassy after they take your passport and having it in your hands again.

Edited by AmAjjD

True, just wait for a few days. You made it this far, wouldn't be wise to rush. Your spouse would like that extra time with family anyways since who knows when will be the next time seeing them again.

May 7, 2014 - I-130 sent to Chicago, IL Lockbox

May 12, 2014 - Case recieved at Chicago, IL.

May 13, 2014 - Case accepted. Received LIN#. Case forwarded to USCIS, Nebraska. i-797 hard copy received shortly after.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

You can. If you want to pay an unnecessary high price for a changeable ticket. Do NOT buy a normal ticket without the visa, unless you enjoy the sound of money being flushed down the toilet, or roulette.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

My 2 cents? You waited this long for the visa.....another couple weeks shouldn't hurt! ;)

Airlines can be unforgiving sometimes, too. You may get a refund or may get to keep your booking up to 1 year from travel date which may end up with you paying more or less for the new ticket.

HAVE THE VISA IN HAND BEFORE, DO NOT TAKE THAT GAMBLE AND RISK LOSING MONEY!

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.