prpplague

Another Adam Walsh Act Style Immigration Issue

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Is the law meant to punish the good law abiding people? Or, is it used to punish those who don't pay child support? I don't understand this part.

Sure, a few weeks of delay is alright. But isn't that the same thing as saying " sorry, because of those who don't pay child support we have to put you in that same position as them, and so you'll get equal processing time. " This is analogous to saying that criminals are the same type of people as law abiding civilians.

The description has to be made clear, not ambiguous as the law implies. This is something that legislature must amend to the law.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Processing time will not be effected. Trust me I know.

I just sent my passport in for renewal and it was held due to arrears in child support.

Dept of State ran my SS number and got a hit on the Health and Human Services database and wham....no passport.

I am having an attorney work to have my passport freed from the child support enforcemnt agency. I am paying current support plus 20% for arrears.

Here is the big problem.

Like denying a passport, withholding immigration is aimed at getting parents to start paying child support, current and arrears.

What happens is that these guidelines get interpreted localy by child support enforcement agencys and passports get held untill all arrears in child support are paid or the parent ponies up some cash and files for a hearing.

child support enforcement agencies are funded through their collection efforts, they take a cut.

So yes, in principle if you owe child support AND ARE NOT PAYING it, you should not receive immigration benefits.

If you are paying child support and arrears you will get caught up in this by local interpretation of federal guidelines and will be denied immigration benefits eventhough you are doing the right thing.

Could be a good law.

But if it follows the passport denial program, it will be a vague law that punishes those of us doing the right thing supporting our children.

Edited by K.Robert

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-19

NOA1: 2007-03-27

Touched: 2007-06-06

NOA2: 2007-07-28

Interview 2007-10-03

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

he law will affect the NOT Guilty more than the guilty. It will take time to determine if someone is in arrears in child support. Guess which group will suffer the most from this Law???? the NOT Guilty! ! ! Look at the FBI Name Checks. It adds months to the process. If there is an error in the determination that someone owes child support. Who will suffer in added time and agony and have to pay lawyers to get the error straightened out.

Devereux

It will only effect your case if you or your USC partner have arrears of child support... if you dont then it will have no effect...

Kez

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
he law will affect the NOT Guilty more than the guilty. It will take time to determine if someone is in arrears in child support. Guess which group will suffer the most from this Law???? the NOT Guilty! ! ! Look at the FBI Name Checks. It adds months to the process. If there is an error in the determination that someone owes child support. Who will suffer in added time and agony and have to pay lawyers to get the error straightened out.

Devereux

It will only effect your case if you or your USC partner have arrears of child support... if you dont then it will have no effect...

Kez

It will not take any more processing time.

You information will be run against a local database that pulls from Dept of Human Services.

if you have been flaged by Dept Human Service as owing child support you will not receive immigration benifits.

The problem is how and why your name, SS#, etc ended up in the Dept of Human Services database in the first place.

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-19

NOA1: 2007-03-27

Touched: 2007-06-06

NOA2: 2007-07-28

Interview 2007-10-03

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline
It will not take any more processing time.

You information will be run against a local database that pulls from Dept of Human Services.

if you have been flaged by Dept Human Service as owing child support you will not receive immigration benifits.

The problem is how and why your name, SS#, etc ended up in the Dept of Human Services database in the first place.

just like doing the background check for the Adam Walsh Act hasn't added any processing time?

as of today, my wife and i have been waiting for 60 days with no end in site.........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.