keepinitreal

Family Approval

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Important to whom? From a personal standpoint, that's really between you and your fiancée. As for me personally, I didn't care whether my family approved or not...it's not their life, it's mine. I am an adult, my life isn't built around who does or does not like how I live my life and with whom. As for the USCIS, if that's what you are concerned about, they don't care about that as long as you two are legal to marry and your relationship is legitimate.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Important to whom? From a personal standpoint, that's really between you and your fiancée. As for me personally, I didn't care whether my family approved or not...it's not their life, it's mine. I am an adult, my life isn't built around who does or does not like how I live my life and with whom. As for the USCIS, if that's what you are concerned about, they don't care about that as long as you two are legal to marry and your relationship is legitimate.

I would add that from a personal standpoint, it is your family and if your union is so vehemently opposed by your family, it's worth thinking it over - not to let it being a deciding factor, but to look ahead at the kind of strain and stress that will put on your relationship. My parents reacted negatively when they found out I was in a LDR with someone from another country. I didn't let it stop me from continuing the relationship because I know them well enough that they would eventually come around to accepting it. You know your family so I would recommend thinking about that - if they are the kind of people that generally accept things over time.

If they haven't met your SO yet - that would be the first step.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I would add that from a personal standpoint, it is your family and if your union is so vehemently opposed by your family, it's worth thinking it over - not to let it being a deciding factor, but to look ahead at the kind of strain and stress that will put on your relationship. My parents reacted negatively when they found out I was in a LDR with someone from another country. I didn't let it stop me from continuing the relationship because I know them well enough that they would eventually come around to accepting it. You know your family so I would recommend thinking about that - if they are the kind of people that generally accept things over time.

If they haven't met your SO yet - that would be the first step.

True, it is always a good thing to have family approval. I guess my response comes from knowing my family and how they reacted. It wouldn't matter WHO I was in a relationship with. The only person who really accepted Joel, and the fact that he's not a USC, was my beloved mother. Even still, she knew that I was going to pursue my relationship with him regardless of how anyone felt and I know she trusted me to make the decision that was best for me. LOL, I come from a family of men who think women are inferior and cannot think for themselves. Which is why I live so far away from them all. :D

You're right though, I would take that into consideration since it could create problems down the road with family (i.e. family gatherings, first grandchild, etc.) Another thing that some families have a hard time accepting is the method by which we meet our SO's....over the Internet, which was my mother's main concern. To her: Internet=Evil. Til she met Joel... :)

To the OP: You have to decide how to deal with this...all we can do is share personal experience. Like Steven said, you know your family far better than any of us do. Best wishes to you and your fiancée. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree with Steven and Jinky. I want (not need) my family to approve of and love my fiance. I know that this is my life but I also want them to be IN our lives. I can't imagine spending the rest of my life without my parents involved! I want them to be at my wedding. I want them to be grandparents. That being said, I've taken it into careful consideration and I truly believe my family will come around once they meet him. The more I talk about him, the more my mom already seems to lighten up. I know my family and know they will accept him eventually. I wish you have a family similar to this! Good luck:D

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

If my finace's parents hadn't approved, I wouldn't have agreed to marry him.....For me, the fact that they are the only family apart from him that I would have there was a HUGE consideration...Not to mention that we have a lifetime of Christmases, Thanksgivings to come, grandchildren for them to interract with....Yes, it's about me and him, but in my eyes, a marriage in these times already has the odds stacked against it, I don't want anything like that to contend with...

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Its normal you always want all people concerned approvals but you have to do what is right for you and SO. Most times i belive the uneasy feelings come from just the not knowing, given time hopefully they will try. Then again there are families that will not approve no matter who it is, you just continue whats best for you.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Timeline

You marry the family, not just the man.

I didn't believe that with my last marriage, but I do now.

Parental approval (on both ends) was VERY important to me. D...eh not so much, he's more or less going to do what he wants, which is cool. But there's no reason to not get along, so I wanted a very happy family life all around, and the parents' blessings were an integral part of that for me.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

also if they like u the inlaws give u sweet gifts in Xmas XD

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's not important to me. I married Charles not his family.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

It's very important to me that his family accepts and loves me, and also that my family accepts and loves him. And thank goodness it worked out that way. Particularly because we are both close with our families. I suppose if we weren't, it wouldn't matter as much.

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

While it is important to me that my parents accept him and his family accepts me, if that wasn't the case... it would not change my mind or my plans to be with him.

Fortunately, we are both lucky and both famlies accept us as a couple and we both get along very well with each others family.

.png

K-1

4/8/2006 - Met online (Lisa in Orlando, Spencer in London)

10/1/2006 - Met in person (Orlando, Key West, Georgia, St.Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau 10/1-23/2006)

10/18/2006 - Got engaged (somewhere between St. Maarten and Florida)

10/23/2006 - Sent I-129F

10/30/2006 - TSC received I-129F

11/3/2006 - NOA1

11/8/2006 - Touched

11/18/2006 - I-129F was sent to CSC

1/14/2007 - Lisa goes to London & Tenerife to see Spence 1/14-28/2007

1/26/2007 - NOA2 approval!

1/28/2007 - Touched

2/14/2007 - Packet 3 arrived

2/21/2007 - Packet 3 sent

3/01/2007 - packet 4 arrived

3/14/2007 - Medical

3/28/2007 - Interview - APPROVED!

5/4/2007 - POE - Orlando, FL

5/18/2007 - Wedding Day!

5/21/2007 - Apply for SSN

5/29/2007 - Receive SSN in mail

6/27/2007 - Received FL Drivers License!

AOS

6/6/2007 - Mail in packet

6/13/2007 - Received in Chicago

7/20/2007 - Tfr to California

9/28/2007 - APPROVED!!!!!

EAD

6/28/2007 - Moved to MSC

9/4/2007 - Received the EAD in mail as a surprise!

AP

6/28/2007 - Moved to MSC

8/29/2007 - Received the AP