michellemilitza

One question

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

Hello all, I have a question for all who wish to see this post....

What if my fiance comes in as a tourist and we get married over here, and we file for a change in visa status? I've read on the Immigration Website that in order for me to get married or for my finace to go into the states as my fiance he has to leave the country first. As you can see I am very confused and don't know what exactly I have to do. I mean we've been apart long enough, wouldn't it be easier to get married and file for a change in his status? Thanks for your help everyone

;)

Michelle B. :help:

AOS:

August 8, 2008: We're married!! (both the ceremony and legal wedding)

September 11, 2008: Got the marriage certificate in the mail!! 

September 20, 2008: Sent AOS packet (I-485, EAD, AP)

September 22, 2008: USPS confirmed delivery at LockBox

September 26, 2008: Check Cashed!! :)

September 25, 2008: Recv'd date on all NOA's 

September 30, 2008: Received all 3 NOA's: I-485, EAD, AP

Ocotber 10, 2008: RFE for I-485 (needed proof of citizenship for sponsor) :S

October 21, 2008: Biometrics @12 pm in Ft. Lauderdale~over and done with in 5min!!~

October 22, 2008: documents for RFE sent via Priority Mail

October 24, 2008: documents received at MO

November 6, 2008: Case transferred to CSC :D

December 10, 2008: EAD approved!! Card production ordered!

Dec. 15, 2008: Rec'd EAD and AP via mail.

March 2, 2009: AOS Approved

March 9, 2009: Green Card Received!!!

March 24, 2020: N400 submitted (online)

January 2021: notice stating no new Biometrics needed

April 15, 2022: Notice to Appear for interview and exam

June 4, 2022: Interview/Exam Day! 🥳

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Technically what you would be trying to do is not 'kosher' . If he was here on a tourist visa and you met by chance and decided to get marry then adjust status that would be okay. But you're in the process of a K-1 so you have intent to marry. If he comes here as your fiancee on a tourist visa and you marry and try to adjust status you may run into problems. I think it would be viewed as trying to get around the immigration process. However, I base that only on what I've read here so hopefully others can offer more insight.

Edited by Robor007

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Timeline

Actually I haven't started the process yet. We're just tired of being apart and we're looking for the best thing to do to make things quicker and easier. Also I wanted to know some "real" info about all the immagration stuff because to tell you the truth what I see on the immigration website is no good, they make it seem complicated on purpose you know what I mean? So, should we just get married without doing the process? By the way thanks for the info.......I did not know this, you were a great help ;)

Technically what you would be trying to do is not 'kosher' . If he was here on a tourist visa and you met by chance and decided to get marry then adjust status that would be okay. But you're in the process of a K-1 so you have intent to marry. If he comes here as your fiancee on a tourist visa and you marry and try to adjust status you may run into problems. I think it would be viewed as trying to get around the immigration process. However, I base that only on what I've read here so hopefully others can offer more insight.

AOS:

October 21, 2008: Biometrics @12 pm in Ft. Lauderdale~over and done with in 5min!!~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually I haven't started the process yet. We're just tired of being apart and we're looking for the best thing to do to make things quicker and easier. Also I wanted to know some "real" info about all the immagration stuff because to tell you the truth what I see on the immigration website is no good, they make it seem complicated on purpose you know what I mean? So, should we just get married without doing the process? By the way thanks for the info.......I did not know this, you were a great help ;)

It's illegal to enter on a tourist visa with the intent to marry and stay and adjust status. If it was that easy and legal to do that, we'd all have done it instead of going through all of this. :)

I know you're tired of being apart, we all are! :P The fastest legal option would be to file for a K1.

Have you read the Guides in the tab at the top?

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

It's illegal to enter on a tourist visa with the intent to marry and stay and adjust status. If it was that easy and legal to do that, we'd all have done it instead of going through all of this. :)

I know you're tired of being apart, we all are! :P The fastest legal option would be to file for a K1.

Yeah I've read those, but the reason why I'm asking is that I have know people who are here as a tourist or a student, or even illegal aliens and they get married to a US citizen, and they've never had to leave the US. But could it be because they had lawyers? so my question now is: I having a lawyer make all the difference?

AOS:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yeah I've read those, but the reason why I'm asking is that I have know people who are here as a tourist or a student, or even illegal aliens and they get married to a US citizen, and they've never had to leave the US. But could it be because they had lawyers? so my question now is: I having a lawyer make all the difference?

Where is your boyfriend? Is he here as a tourist or a student?

If not, then you can't compare your situation to those people.

Having a lawyer is not what makes the difference.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Where is your boyfriend? Is he here as a tourist or a student?

If not, then you can't compare your situation to those people.

Having a lawyer is not what makes the difference.

He is in panama right now, and when he visits me it will be on a tourist visa, as a matter of fact my roomate/landlady she got married like that, she came as a student met her husband in the states, but by the time they decided to get married her visa expired so technically she was illegal when they put the papers thru. But, now she's a US citizen, with her house and a good job, so i was wondering if having a lawyer makes a difference or not.

AOS:

Timeline
He is in panama right now, and when he visits me it will be on a tourist visa, as a matter of fact my roomate/landlady she got married like that, she came as a student met her husband in the states, but by the time they decided to get married her visa expired so technically she was illegal when they put the papers thru. But, now she's a US citizen, with her house and a good job, so i was wondering if having a lawyer makes a difference or not.

That's not the same situation at all if I'm reading this correctly. She came as a student with no immigration intent, met her husband, married and adjusted status.

Your fiance would be entering on a tourist visa with intent to immigrate and adjust status at the time of entry. That is illegal and is immigration fraud. Intent makes the difference, not a lawyer.

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Yes it is considered an immigratin fraud to come to the States with the intention to marry on a visa other than K1,BUT nobody else except for you two knows about your intentions,right? :devil: If I were you I'd go for a Student visa (F1) because there is a very little chance of denial and it's done for 2-3 mounths.Once he comes to the US he will have no problems adjusting his status.I know a lot of people that have even overstayed their visas,married to USC and then got their green card.

Now that the rules have changed(no DCF) and they will go on changing probably,it turned out that it's MUCH BETTER to come the US on any other kind of visa and then get married,and not first get married outside the States and go through the IR1/K3 route!!!!Ridiculous but true.As somebody else in this forum said-legal immigration is a punishment.Why should you go for it then?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Aneta - you are advocating that someone break the law, I'm pretty sure that's against the TOS of this site. You can try to minimize it however you want, but it is illegal to fraudulently misrepresent immigration intent to the government, and that's not something I would ever recommend to anyone.

Yes it is considered an immigratin fraud to come to the States with the intention to marry on a visa other than K1,BUT nobody else except for you two knows about your intentions,right? :devil: If I were you I'd go for a Student visa (F1) because there is a very little chance of denial and it's done for 2-3 mounths.Once he comes to the US he will have no problems adjusting his status.I know a lot of people that have even overstayed their visas,married to USC and then got their green card.

Now that the rules have changed(no DCF) and they will go on changing probably,it turned out that it's MUCH BETTER to come the US on any other kind of visa and then get married,and not first get married outside the States and go through the IR1/K3 route!!!!Ridiculous but true.As somebody else in this forum said-legal immigration is a punishment.Why should you go for it then?

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: Other Timeline

yeap, I have to agree with riblet, that is a terribly risky thing to be telling people. And illegal.

To the OP, does your boyfriend currently have a valid tourist visa, or will he have to go apply for one in order to come visit you? If he does not currently have one, the liklihood of getting one "to go visit his girlfriend" is pretty much nil. Your best, quickest, and legal-ist route is to start now for a K1, and you'll be together before the end of the year. Maybe even before the end of summer (what are processing times these days? I have no clue)

Entering the US with a tourist visa or student visa or whatever that is not marriage based, with intent to stay is illegal. Even at the POE a person could be barred from entering if they feel they are trying to come to the US to marry and stay illegally. As others have stated, if your boyfriend was already here in the US on a student visa or work visa, and you met and got married, yes, he could adjust status and stay. However, he is not. He is in Panama, so your options are either K1 visa, or get married in Panama and go the K3 route.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Aneta - you are advocating that someone break the law, I'm pretty sure that's against the TOS of this site. You can try to minimize it however you want, but it is illegal to fraudulently misrepresent immigration intent to the government, and that's not something I would ever recommend to anyone.

Yup, against the TOS:

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

- Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Oh well, I guess you are right guys,I just see that playing by the rules brings nothing good to me.Besides,that's the way everything is happening here in Bulgaria, everybody is doing something illegal,that's why I think like that.

No more illegal advice,I promise :innocent:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

misa put that very well.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

This topic has been closed for violating the Terms of Service. Thank you for your understanding.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.