Lola_

Question about AOS and overstaying

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Jane is 100% correct here, both illegal work and overstay are forgiven if you're married to a USC. USCIS cannot use illegal work or overstay as a reason for denial of AOS.

Subject of course to the caveat that AOS is a discretionary benefit. They do not strictly need a reason to deny it as there is no automatic right to it.

And what percentage of AOS applicants do you think are denied with no reason given?

.0000001 %?

I have no idea and if it is your petition that is denied you really wont give a damn what the percentage is as it is pretty irrelevant. As there is in effect no review of a discretionary refusal I am not sure where the figures you ask for may be found.

The fact remains the benefit is discretionary. Often the assumption is made in this forum that it is a right. Whilst in the vast majority of cases it is plain sailing the possibility of denial is still very much a possibility. It is important that readers understand it is discretionary, not mandatory. It is possible for a person who is technically eligible for immigrant status to nonetheless be denied adjustment of status in the exercise of that discretion. The most common instances of such discretionary denials involve cases where the applicant abused the nonimmigrant process. For example, if a person applies for admission into a school or for a change in nonimmigrant status within 30 days of entry, they are presumed to have acted in bad faith. That is, they had the preconceived intent to make the change and they used an easier to obtain visa in order to evade the normal screening process abroad for the visa they really wanted.

If an AOS applicant has anything in his or her past visa history that suggests that he or she may have abused the visa process, or otherwise tried to take shortcuts, the USCIS has made it clear that they can and will deny such adjustment applications in the exercise of discretion. Discretionary AOS refusals are not subject to administrative review. While federal court review is theoretically possible, few judges are willing to attempt to substitute their judgment for that of USCIS officers in the absence of gross abuse of discretion.

Please share with us the links to back up your statements.....

Kez

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

All I've got to say about the ORIGINAL POST is this.

My boss is a 'regular flavor' lawyer. And a pretty good one at that. Honest too. All the things you want in representation.

He wouldn't touch immigration with a ten-foot pole. Because he knows he's not qualified to represent the client to the fullest of his ability.

Actually the percentage does matter. I would be interested in knowing how many AOS applications are denied without a reason of some sort being given. I imagine the percentage must be very low to nonexistent. It's a pretty poor policy for any government agency to deny a benefit, (whether right or priviledge), without providing a valid reason to the client.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline
Please share with us the links to back up your statements.....

Kez

With pleasure

http://www.us-immigration-attorney.com/pri...t-of-status.htm

You will find the author is a practising immigration lawyer who previously was an Immigration Adjudicator at the California Service Center (CSC) for over 12 years and he adjudicated every type of immigration visa petition. His experience with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service) may be said to be extensive ;)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

And, if my AOS was denied and we were not given a reason, I think my husband would be pretty upset and the media quite interested.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

Removal of Conditions:

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Timeline
Actually the percentage does matter. I would be interested in knowing how many AOS applications are denied without a reason of some sort being given. I imagine the percentage must be very low to nonexistent. It's a pretty poor policy for any government agency to deny a benefit, (whether right or priviledge), without providing a valid reason to the client.

And anyone who overstays and/or works without a work permit is DAMN LUCKY to get AOS approved.

Timeline

My boss is a 'regular flavor' lawyer. And a pretty good one at that. Honest too. All the things you want in representation.

He wouldn't touch immigration with a ten-foot pole. Because he knows he's not qualified to represent the client to the fullest of his ability.

Agreed which is what made me wonder about the bona fides of the original question posed. No lawyer in his right mind would act for a client in an area he was not suitably qualified. Professional negligence suit much? :lol:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

Can you also post the link to the site where you were advised that AOS applications can be denied for no reason?

I couldn't find it on the link you did post.

And anyone who overstays and/or works without a work permit is DAMN LUCKY to get AOS approved.

That or married to a USC.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

Removal of Conditions:

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

Timeline

Poor practice or not it is the reality. It is pretty poor practice to kidnap people abroad move them half way around the globe and intern them with out trial or due process for years on end. Yet lo and behold it has been known to happen. The percentage of the worlds population it happens to is also very low to non existent ;)

Poor practice is rarely accepted as a valid reason by those in power for a government to change its policy

And, if my AOS was denied and we were not given a reason, I think my husband would be pretty upset and the media quite interested.

The first part is a given Jane, the second I am rather more sceptical about. The medias focus with regard to immigration tends to be of the "illegals shock horror hyperbole" type rather than any good reporting sad to say.

Edited by DelcoCouple

Agreed which is what made me wonder about the bona fides of the original question posed. No lawyer in his right mind would act for a client in an area he was not suitably qualified. Professional negligence suit much? :lol:

Absolutely.

My boss was mildly impressed that I did my husband's paperwork myself. In other words its ok to represent yourself.

But when I had questions about Writ of Mandamus, he was like......um no I'm not filing that for you....

Edited by rebeccajo

Poor practice or not it is the reality. It is pretty poor practice to kidnap people abroad move them half way around the globe and intern them with out trial or due process for years on end. Yet lo and behold it has been known to happen. The percentage of the worlds population it happens to is also very low to non existent ;)

Poor practice is rarely accepted as a valid reason by those in power for a government to change its policy

The first part is a given Jane, the second I am rather more sceptical about. The medias focus with regard to immigration tends to be of the "illegals shock horror hyperbole" type rather than any good reporting sad to say.

I still want to see the link citing denial of AOS benefits without a reason being given to the client. I'm thinking it doesn't exist.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

Removal of Conditions:

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

Dev, from an anecdotal point of view I'd have to say I don't agree with that. Not if the AOS is based on marriage to a USC. I've done my share of digging through the CFR in the last month or two and there is a plethora of caveats for spouses in 'reason for denial' sections.

Timeline
I still want to see the link citing denial of AOS benefits without a reason being given to the client. I'm thinking it doesn't exist.

Knock yourself out then :D

http://lawcrawler.findlaw.com/scripts/lc.p...tes=findlaw.com

The world existed pre google. The fact that every case is not archived somewhere on the internet matters not really. The important thing is that pesky little irritant that keeps clouding peoples judgement in here. It is called the Law. The fact that there is provision for such denial is sufficient in itself for it to be undeniable and a real albeit remote possibility.

There are I imagine very few 'links' to a child walking into the side of a skyscraper and breaking their nose because they "didn't see the 84 floor tall building", but trust me I have intimate knowledge of such an event and the crooked nose to show for it. ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.