jxn

Passport stamps between U.S. & Canada by car?

9 posts in this topic

My wife and I are planning on spending a day in Montreal this weekend and we enjoy getting our passports stamped during international travel. I usually fly, and in countries where I've done immigration by car or boat, I normally do get standard entry and exit stamps.

I entered Canada by car once several years back and neither country stamped me in or out. They just scanned my passport, asked me a few questions, and I was on my way. Is it possible to request a passport stamp? If it makes a difference, we will enter and exit Canada through Vermont or New York. Thanks!

I suppose you can. They may look at you funny.

Exactly what I was thinking. Either that or pull him into secondary for suspicious behavior. :lol:

My wife and I have traveled back and forth over the US/Canadian border well over a dozen times each and have never gotten passport stamps.

My fiance had his passport stamped only once in 3 years. I think for US/Canada border it just depends on which agent you get that day.

And you can always ask haha, I would like to know their answer!!

August 2011: Started talking to Brian
June 1st, 2012: Started dating (L)
July 29th 2012: Saw each other for the first time, met Family
August 2013: Got engaged
July 2014: Sent 1-129F petition
July 29th, 2014: Received NOA1.
February 5th, 2015: NOA2!
April 16th, 2015: Medical in Montréal
May 15th, 2015; Interview- APPROVED!
June 22nd, 2015: POE at Champlain Border

September 4th, 2015: Wedding! :dancing:

AOS/EAD/AP

February 20th, 2016: AOS/EAD/AP Package sent! (Received 2/25, yay for USPS delays!)

March 4th, 2016: NOA 1 for all 3 applications

March 11th, 2016: Hardcopies with all 3 receipt Numbers received

March 30th, 2016: Biometrics (as a code 2, Maybe have to go again?)

April 25th, 2016: Walk in for the SECOND Biometrics appoinment (Code 3 this time, Officer was not the happiest but told us to come back at noon and he'd let us in.)

May 16th, 2016: Submitted Service Request for I-765

June 8th, 2016: Called USCIS concerning delay, officer put another request in and said the previous one would like be ignored as it was created through their website.

June 21st, 2016: Contacted both NY Senators.

July 1st, 2016: RFIE for I-485.

July 8th, 2016; Sent Evidence Requested by USCIS. (Received July 13th)

July 15th, 2016; Emergency Advance Parole due to Family Emergency

July 27th, 2016; Contacted USCIS Ombudsman as my I-765 has been pending for 5 months.

July 30th,2016; EAD/AP have been approved!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I have some updates regarding my question and travels.

My friend who has the ten-year LPR green card but an expired foreign passport decided not to come on the trip. Although most U.S. and Canadian resources online said a valid green card was fine in an of itself for land travel to Canada, she didn't want to take any risks.

My wife (who has a two-year conditional green card) and I arrived to the Vermont-Quebec border by car two weekends ago and I asked the Canadian border guard this very question. He said a valid green card is all that is needed. There was no American border control for leaving the U.S. He also stamped our passports without me needing to ask, which was great; I love collecting travel stamps! He stamped my American passport and stamped my wife's foreign passport and hand-wrote her USCIS Number (Alien Number) in pencil below the stamp. When my wife and I have flown back into the U.S. from abroad, CBP does the same thing.

Returning from Canada the next day, the U.S. border guard let us in and I asked if it was possible to get passport stamps. She said I could pull over and park, then walk in to the office building and request it there. There was a small line but everyone was involved in pretty complex and bureaucratic matters. When I asked a CBP officer what the process would be to just get passport stamps she said we would have to wait in line like everyone else before being processed. I wouldn't be surprised if the line ended up being over an hour, so after ten minutes of waiting my wife and I just went back to the car and continued through Vermont without American entry stamps.

Overall our time in the car with the border agent entering both Canada and the U.S. was probably two minutes each with a few basic questions here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

They stamp passports when you arrive by air. Usually not by land. Sometimes they don't even have a stamp in the booth you drive up to but it might be easier to get one if you go through as a pedestrian because you walk inside through the secondary inspection area.

Done: I-130/CR-1, I-751/ROC

Done: I-327

Filed: Timeline

Exactly what I was thinking. Either that or pull him into secondary for suspicious behavior. :lol:

My wife and I have traveled back and forth over the US/Canadian border well over a dozen times each and have never gotten passport stamps.

LOL that's what I thought....They may think what trick you got up your sleeve :idea: