KathSkywalker

Report of Marriage (Washington DC Jurisdiction)

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys! I am about to file my Report of Marriage, i am here in Florida so i am under Washington DC's jurisdiction. Here are the requirements in their website and i have some questions..

BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
1. Four (4) original duly-accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, signed by both husband and wife. Wives should indicate their maiden name as the last name. If submitting by mail, the completed forms must be notarized.
Q: In question #16 & 17. Name of Witness1&2: I put our friends names who attended our wedding last year but in my marriage certificate, there is no witness signed. Is it okay to just put their names or just put N/A?
2. Covering letter (handwritten or typed), addressed to the Consular Section, indicating service/transaction requested and telephone number or email address for contact details
Q: Do any of you guys have a sample of this cover letter?
3. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Marriage Record (original will be returned)
Q: I only have marriage certificate, i don't know how to get this marriage record or where to get it? My husband is divorced and this is his 2nd marriage.
4. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Marriage Certificate or Contract (original will be returned)
5. Four (4) photocopies of a government-issued identification card or passport of both husband and wife
6. Four (4) photocopies of Philippine birth certificate of Filipino spouse
7. Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps for express or priority mail with tracking numbers via US Postal Service, or with pre-paid mailing envelope from private courier of choice, if Report of Marriage is to be mailed back.
8. Processing fee of $25.00 (non-refundable), payable in cash, or money order, bank draft, certified check or cashier’s check, made payable to "Embassy of the Philippines" (or "Philippine Consulate General", if application is made at one of the Philippine Consulates General in the U.S.). Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.
9. For applicants residing in U.S. territories or other countries within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy, applicants should enclose a treasurer’s, manager’s or certified check issued by a local bank that has a corresponding bank in the U.S., payable to the courier of choice, in U.S. dollars, to cover cost of mailing, and a corresponding self-addressed courier’s address label. Personal checks are not accepted.
Please help me guys, thanks a lot!
Edited by katxleo

N400 Journey

01.15.2020: N400 Application sent 

01.17.2020: NOA Biometrics scheduled for February 05, 2020

02.05.2020: Biometrics done

03.02.2020: Interview was scheduled for April 20, 2020

03.31.2020: Interview de-scheduled due to Covid-19

09.02.2020: New interview date scheduled for September 21, 2020 Tampa

09.21.2020: Interview done - passed

09.24.2020: Oath Ceremony scheduled for October 13, 2020 Tampa

10.13.2020: Oath Ceremony done 🥰💖

Hi guys! I am about to file my Report of Marriage, i am here in Florida so i am under Washington DC's jurisdiction. Here are the requirements in their website and i have some questions..

BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
1. Four (4) original duly-accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, signed by both husband and wife. Wives should indicate their maiden name as the last name. If submitting by mail, the completed forms must be notarized.
Q: In question #16 & 17. Name of Witness1&2: I put our friends names who attended our wedding last year but in my marriage certificate, there is no witness signed. Is it okay to just put their names or just put N/A? Use your friends names as the witness. I wonder why the MC does not contain a witness.... mmmmm
2. Covering letter (handwritten or typed), addressed to the Consular Section, indicating service/transaction requested and telephone number or email address for contact details
Q: Do any of you guys have a sample of this cover letter? Prepare a business letter format addressing it to the USE Phil Wash DC address with a to whom it may concern. Then tell them in one sentence that this is for a ROM and your contact information as follows. Sign and send it on top of your package. I always like to put a bullet list of the documents that I am sending so I have a record and I use it as a check list. Use the list of required documents on their website.
3. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Marriage Record (original will be returned)
Q: I only have marriage certificate, i don't know how to get this marriage record or where to get it? My husband is divorced and this is his 2nd marriage. If either of you were married before you need to include your annulment and/or divorce decree certified with 4 copies of each. Copies don't have to be certified just photo copy the originals.
4. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Marriage Certificate or Contract (original will be returned)
5. Four (4) photocopies of a government-issued identification card or passport of both husband and wife
6. Four (4) photocopies of Philippine birth certificate of Filipino spouse
7. Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps for express or priority mail with tracking numbers via US Postal Service, or with pre-paid mailing envelope from private courier of choice, if Report of Marriage is to be mailed back.
8. Processing fee of $25.00 (non-refundable), payable in cash, or money order, bank draft, certified check or cashier’s check, made payable to "Embassy of the Philippines" (or "Philippine Consulate General", if application is made at one of the Philippine Consulates General in the U.S.). Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.
9. For applicants residing in U.S. territories or other countries within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy, applicants should enclose a treasurer’s, manager’s or certified check issued by a local bank that has a corresponding bank in the U.S., payable to the courier of choice, in U.S. dollars, to cover cost of mailing, and a corresponding self-addressed courier’s address label. Personal checks are not accepted.
Please help me guys, thanks a lot!

there are outreach programs where you can get ROM's, new Births registered, renew passports etc. that come to Florida often. Check their schedule here http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/news/4346/589/2015-Consular-Outreach-Schedule-as-of-5-April-2015/d,phildet/

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

there are outreach programs where you can get ROM's, new Births registered, renew passports etc. that come to Florida often. Check their schedule here http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/news/4346/589/2015-Consular-Outreach-Schedule-as-of-5-April-2015/d,phildet/

i attached this MC so you could see that there's no really witness signature or they even asked as for one. it is a mass valentine's day wedding so we actually have a lot of witnesses :)

Untitled.jpg
it is my first marriage and my husband's second.
Additional requirement for ROM:

A. IF FILIPINO SPOUSE WAS PREVIOUSLY MARRIED AND DIVORCED, OR PREVIOUSLY MARRIED AND MARRIAGE WAS SUBSEQUENTLY ANNULLED

One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Judicial Decree of Divorce or Annulment (original will be returned)

Note: Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines or Executive Order No. 209 (as amended by E.O. No. 227, promulgated on 27 July 1987) provides that:

• All marriages solemnized outside the Philippines, in accordance with the laws in force in the country where they were solemnized, and valid there as such, shall also be valid in this country, except those prohibited under Articles 35, 37 and 38.
  • Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spousecapacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law (underlining and highlighting supplied.)

B. IF THE FILIPINO SPOUSE IS A WIDOW / WIDOWER

One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of Death Certificate of deceased spouse (original will be returned)

C. OTHER REQUIREMENTS

The Consular Officer reserves the right to require additional proof or documents from an applicant, to prove his/her citizenship or identity pursuant to the Philippine Passport Law (R.A. 8239) and the Foreign Service Act. (R.A. 7157)

I am Filipino and hubby is American, so since hubby is American, he don't need to submit his divorce decree?
We actually missed the Tampa Outreach so we will just wait for Orlando Outreach. Is it possible to file both Report of Marriage and Passport Renewal at the same time?

N400 Journey

i attached this MC so you could see that there's no really witness signature or they even asked as for one. it is a mass valentine's day wedding so we actually have a lot of witnesses :)

Untitled.jpg
it is my first marriage and my husband's second.
Additional requirement for ROM:

A. IF FILIPINO SPOUSE WAS PREVIOUSLY MARRIED AND DIVORCED, OR PREVIOUSLY MARRIED AND MARRIAGE WAS SUBSEQUENTLY ANNULLED

One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Judicial Decree of Divorce or Annulment (original will be returned)

Note: Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines or Executive Order No. 209 (as amended by E.O. No. 227, promulgated on 27 July 1987) provides that:

• All marriages solemnized outside the Philippines, in accordance with the laws in force in the country where they were solemnized, and valid there as such, shall also be valid in this country, except those prohibited under Articles 35, 37 and 38.
  • Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spousecapacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law (underlining and highlighting supplied.)

B. IF THE FILIPINO SPOUSE IS A WIDOW / WIDOWER

One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of Death Certificate of deceased spouse (original will be returned)

C. OTHER REQUIREMENTS

The Consular Officer reserves the right to require additional proof or documents from an applicant, to prove his/her citizenship or identity pursuant to the Philippine Passport Law (R.A. 8239) and the Foreign Service Act. (R.A. 7157)

I am Filipino and hubby is American, so since hubby is American, he don't need to submit his divorce decree?
We actually missed the Tampa Outreach so we will just wait for Orlando Outreach. Is it possible to file both Report of Marriage and Passport Renewal at the same time?

I would answer the witness question with a reference with N/A.

Wash DC is different then other Consuls and they require that the ROM be completed first before you can attend the outreach to do your passport renewal. If your passport is not expiring soon and you need to travel, just bring along your MC for proof of your name. That was our experience last year when we did the ROM.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

I would answer the witness question with a reference with N/A.

Wash DC is different then other Consuls and they require that the ROM be completed first before you can attend the outreach to do your passport renewal. If your passport is not expiring soon and you need to travel, just bring along your MC for proof of your name. That was our experience last year when we did the ROM.

Oh i see.. Thanks a lot Greenbaum! Guess i will finish with my ROM requirements soon :)

N400 Journey

Hi katxleo.

I am also from Florida (just moved, havent changed my timeline yet sorry) My experience during the outreach, they let me do the ROM and passport renewal at the same time (outreach program Orlando). They might do it this year or they might not, ther's no harm in bringing all your documents both for ROM and passport renewal and as you know, our own government people are just "cool" and not really that super strict. Dont bring exact cash payment, have some extra :)

Goodluck.

Hi katxleo.

I am also from Florida (just moved, havent changed my timeline yet sorry) My experience during the outreach, they let me do the ROM and passport renewal at the same time (outreach program Orlando). They might do it this year or they might not, ther's no harm in bringing all your documents both for ROM and passport renewal and as you know, our own government people are just "cool" and not really that super strict. Dont bring exact cash payment, have some extra :)

Goodluck.

:wow: It shouldn't surprise me that they change the process but that's the PHL Gov. at it's best. :ranting: Now they are inline with the other Consul's as others will do both at the same time, DC was the only one that I knew (of course experienced) required the ROM be done first and then passport renewal.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

I found the old email from the outreach last year. Here is what it stated:

Report of Marriage (to be mailed to the Embassy PRIOR to the outreach): Applicants who wish to change their last name from maiden to married name are required to apply for a Report of Marriage (ROM), if their marriage took place in the U.S. The requirements needed to report a marriage between two Filipinos, or a Filipino and a non-Filipino national, solemnized under the jurisdiction of the Embassy, can be found at the Embassy’s website at http://philippineembassy-usa.org/uploads/pdfs/Report%20of%20Marriage.pdf. Fee is $25.00 in postal money order.

So, if you are doing a ROM or change in name for passport be sure to confirm what is necessary far in advance so you don't come up short.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

All the consulates as far as I know require ROM before changing the name on the passport to their married name. Now we more or less did it at the same time during an outreach event, but ROM is required first.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

My point being is this, that Washington DC consulate required that the ROM be done before the passport but you couldn't do it on the day of the outreach but it had to be done prior to the outreach. Then when you arrive at the outreach you could do the name change for the Passport. if you showed up at the outreach wanted to do both you could not and therein lies the difference between the Washington consulate and some of the other outreach programs, say the LA consulate.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Thanks for all your response guys, but just to be sure, i will file ROM before going to Orlando Outreach this coming October so all i need to there is my passport renewal :)

N400 Journey

• 3 years later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

where can i call the embassy of washington about my ROM until now i dont get my mail back from them almost 1 month since i send my ROM

3 minutes ago, kitkat28 said:

where can i call the embassy of washington about my ROM until now i dont get my mail back from them almost 1 month since i send my ROM

I would say wait at least 2 more weeks and you should be fine 

Yup. Give it a few more weeks.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.