Kimberley+Dave

I-864 Question re Employment

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi Meauxna,

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought that was the case but as we get closer to our interview dates, I have started panicking about everything!! So if my Dad's income is enough for the joint sponsorship, although he has filed jointly with my mom on his tax returns, we have just included his W2's with the transcripts.

I have posted this question elsewhere, but does anyone know on the DS230 question 29 what address I put for myself (the petitioner)? It doesn't specify whether is 'present' address, 'mailing' address or 'resiential' address? I'm inclined to put my present address in the UK, but just want to double-check.

Thanks to all who have helped!

hi Kimberly,

There are several links in the DCF Guide that discuss domicile; you could read for the official word on the topic, and to learn the difference between residence and domicile.

The I-864 may only be filed by a USC or PR with a US domicile.

When I lived in Greece, that was my residence for a couple of years, but I maintained my domicile in the US. I was instructed by the Consular & (then) INS staff to use my US address in most fields of most forms, including this one.

As for your Dad, the only tip I'd have for you is to make sure you use the W-2s to lift HIS personal income out and enter the correct (lower) amount and not the total from his joint tax return. You still send the return as is, but fill the form in correctly.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

As to how to find your income in American dollars the state puts out a number every year that states what what the average exchange rate was for that year.

FWIW, I used xe.com and just picked a date for the exchange rate, and applied it throughout--no reported problems from others doing the same.

I usually check the website for my local embassy (Tokyo), every year at tax time they put up the official exchange rates for each quarter and for the entire year.

Edited by iluvmymac

emblem_top2.gifusaflag.gif

Timeline:

01/31/07 - I-130 fedexed to California

02/01/07 - I-130 received by USCIS California

02/13/07 - received NOA1

04/10/07 - Petition approved (64 days)

04/17/07 - Received NOA2, petition on it's way to NVC

05/07/07 - Still nothing from NVC (those bums!)

----------

04/05/07 - Re-filed I-130 at Tokyo embassy with no problems! (didn't need to canx first petition)

04/12/07 - Petition at embassy is approved (7 days!)

04/16/07 - Received notice of approval from embassy, submitted interview request

04/17/07 - Received notice of interview, which will be May 7

05/07/07 - Had interview at embassy, visa approved!

05/08/07 - Passport with visa delivered!!!!

Dang, the Tokyo embassy is fast!

Timeline
As to how to find your income in American dollars the state puts out a number every year that states what what the average exchange rate was for that year.

FWIW, I used xe.com and just picked a date for the exchange rate, and applied it throughout--no reported problems from others doing the same.

I usually check the website for my local embassy (Tokyo), every year at tax time they put up the official exchange rates for each quarter and for the entire year.

I wish I'd known about that back when---thank you for sharing that info!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
If I remember correctly, the I-864 is for the primary sponsor (you) and the I-864A for any joint sponsor.

This isn't correct---The I-864 is for a Sponsor OR Joint Sponsor. The I-864A is for a household member's income to be included in the grand total.

Thankyou for correcting me Meauxna :)

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
If I remember correctly, the I-864 is for the primary sponsor (you) and the I-864A for any joint sponsor.

This isn't correct---The I-864 is for a Sponsor OR Joint Sponsor. The I-864A is for a household member's income to be included in the grand total.

Thankyou for correcting me Meauxna :)

The treasury department gives a list of the average exchange rates for each month and for the entire year for all major currencies on their website. It is the official exchange rate the IRS uses for taxes...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Hi,

I need help with my i-864 and hope someone here can help !

Background:

My Dad is American and mother German so I have dual citizenship (American and German passports)

I was born in Germany and lived ther most of my childhood up until the age of 9 (briefly lived in Seattle when I was 2).

At the age of 9 I moved to the United Kingdom and have lived there ever since.

I got married in 2005 to my british wife and we have decided that we would love to live and work in the USA.

We have already submitted our i-130 petition and had that approved and she has had her medical (no problem).

The final stage is for me to submit the DS-230, DS-2001 and i-864.

Questions:

I am the sponsor (of my wife) and am filling out the i-864 form. Part 6 deals with my income and tax returns.

I have only ever worked in the UK and have never filed aFedreal income Tax return. I have now learned that although I live in the UK I should have been filing a tax return evey year :blink:

1) I do not have 3 years of IRS tax returns to show my income. I don't have any at all. Can I use my UK tax returns ? Do I need a sponsor in the USA ?

2) Do I need to quickly backfill 3 years of returns and wait for them to be approved before I can proceed ?

3) I will be taking approx $250,000 with me, does that help ?

Please help !!! :crying:

Many thanks,

Tim

Hi,

I need help with my i-864 and hope someone here can help !

Background:

My Dad is American and mother German so I have dual citizenship (American and German passports)

I was born in Germany and lived ther most of my childhood up until the age of 9 (briefly lived in Seattle when I was 2).

At the age of 9 I moved to the United Kingdom and have lived there ever since.

I got married in 2005 to my british wife and we have decided that we would love to live and work in the USA.

We have already submitted our i-130 petition and had that approved and she has had her medical (no problem).

The final stage is for me to submit the DS-230, DS-2001 and i-864.

Questions:

I am the sponsor (of my wife) and am filling out the i-864 form. Part 6 deals with my income and tax returns.

I have only ever worked in the UK and have never filed aFedreal income Tax return. I have now learned that although I live in the UK I should have been filing a tax return evey year :blink:

1) I do not have 3 years of IRS tax returns to show my income. I don't have any at all. Can I use my UK tax returns ? Do I need a sponsor in the USA ?

2) Do I need to quickly backfill 3 years of returns and wait for them to be approved before I can proceed ?

3) I will be taking approx $250,000 with me, does that help ?

Please help !!! :crying:

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim, first of all it probably would have been better to start your own new thread. It usually helps others who are responding to this thread's conversation and those who want to respond to your questions to keep the two separated. Some people call this "thread hi-jacking".

Anyhow, do you have a SSN? The general law is that all USCs (US citizens) and LPRs (legal permanent residents) have to report annually to the IRS on Form 1040, even if the USC lives abroad. Generally, incomed earned in another country that is reported to and taxed by that country is tax-exempt (up to $80,000 annually) on our US income tax report using Form 2555.

You should probably contact the IRS to see what your standing is in their eyes, or do some other research with IRS law before you get any surprises from the government. The I-864 instructions say that if you haven't filed reports to the IRS, you must include a statement why.

Perhaps others with more info/suggestions will offer their input.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Timeline:

02/13/07 - received NOA1

----------

04/05/07 - Re-filed I-130 at Tokyo embassy with no problems! (didn't need to canx first petition)

04/16/07 - Received notice of approval from embassy, submitted interview request

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will start a seperate thread as you suggested.

Regards,

Tim

P.S> If I earn over $80,000 and reside wholly in the UK I am still liable to pay US tax ?

Yes, I think so. Better check.....

Timeline:

02/13/07 - received NOA1

----------

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will start a seperate thread as you suggested.

Regards,

Tim

P.S> If I earn over $80,000 and reside wholly in the UK I am still liable to pay US tax ?

Yes, I think so. Better check.....

I just checked and the exclusion is now at $82,400 for 2006

Just to add some links from IRS:

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion forms

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2555.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2555ez.pdf

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion instructions

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2555.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2555ez.pdf

Timeline:

02/13/07 - received NOA1

----------

Timeline

Thanks for the links ... I'm looking into right now.

I'm a bit scared that I am somehow liable for US taxes. I have never lived or worked in the US and have paid all my taxes in the UK. I hope that I don't somehow get taxed twice !!!!

I spoke with the IRS and they said it depends if I am a US citizen. Good question. My dad was American but I was born in Germany. I have a US passport and a SSN ( I briefly worked at a burger place in Texas during my summer holidays when I was 17) so does that make me a citizen ?

Confused to say the least :-(

Edited by hubbardt

Thanks for the links ... I'm looking into right now.

I'm a bit scared that I am somehow liable for US taxes. I have never lived or worked in the US and have paid all my taxes in the UK. I hope that I don't somehow get taxed twice !!!!

I spoke with the IRS and they said it depends if I am a US citizen. Good question. My dad was American but I was born in Germany. I have a US passport and a SSN ( I briefly worked at a burger place in Texas during my summer holidays when I was 17) so does that make me a citizen ?

Confused to say the least :-(

If you have a parent that is a US citizen, I think you also are automatically a US citizen, thus you have a US passport.

And since you weren't born in the US and therefore don't have a US birth certificate, do you have some other document, such as a "Consular Report Of A Birth Abroad" ? My daughter was born in Japan, and right after her birth I contacted the US embassy in Tokyo to find out what to do for her citizenship. After providing documents and filling out some forms, they sent me this "Consular Report Of A Birth Abroad" (along with a new passport). "Consular Report Of A Birth Abroad" is legally the same as a US birth certificate. This is what my daughter's proof is of US citizenship.

Timeline:

02/13/07 - received NOA1

----------

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to update this thread with what I actually did for the interview and how it turned out.

For my I-864 (I am the petitioner) I listed myself as employed at my current employer in the UK.

Also, for the DS 230 Question 29, we actually filled in three of these forms (one with my UK address, one with my US address and one with both addresses!) and just asked at the window which one they wanted. They wanted the one with my US address.

Hope this helps!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to update this thread with what I actually did for the interview and how it turned out.

For my I-864 (I am the petitioner) I listed myself as employed at my current employer in the UK.

Also, for the DS 230 Question 29, we actually filled in three of these forms (one with my UK address, one with my US address and one with both addresses!) and just asked at the window which one they wanted. They wanted the one with my US address.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the update! This is helpful. :)

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.