s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi all ... first post on this site, thanks for all of the information.  

So...After months of waiting from NOA1 to now... I was finally was able to access the Tokyo embassy appointment calendar to schedule K-1 interview.  It was unfortunate to see that the first available appointment was not until June 2018....a 2 month wait.  Is this a joke?!    We've been proactive in finalizing all forms/documents like i134/ds160/etc.  Police certificate was already requested and medical will be finished by mid April as well , so really wondering if there is anything that can be done to increase the chances of moving the interview date forward.  

A couple questions:

-Is 2+ month wait normal for scheduling the K-1 interview?  Seems excessive and out of line with other timelines I've seen.  I get there are a few holidays in early may, but still.

-Is there any way to manually request a reschedule, online for via phone? (a poster above gave a link to an online reschedule request form, but that looked like it was for immigrant CR1 applications only). 

-Do I need to recheck the calendar every day to see if a new appointment opens up?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Can any K1 filers tell me if the packet 3 is important? Should I just use the instructions online instead? We have been trying to get the packet 3 sent to us but have had so many issues. They had the zip code wrong first, then after correcting the address they sent it again, but we still do not have it. She just can't seem to receive it in the mail for some reason. Note also that she is a Philippine citizen living in Japan, so I'm note sure if she will have special instructions in the packet 3 or not. We have been stuck for about 2 weeks so far because of this packet 3. I went ahead and booked the interview anyway because the earliest interview date is already more than 2 months away. I'm thinking the only thing we really need to get is the medical and police certificate from Japan, as well as one from the Philippines. Does the packet 3 instructions tell us to mail anything to the NVC/Embassy? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 3/29/2018 at 9:11 PM, heykatydid said:

Oh, it is the actual worst. Five different websites with conflicting information. I spent an entire night in a complete panic attack. I don't understand why they can't just make country-specific instructions that clearly state what you need - and then don't punish you when you send in the documents as instructed! This whole thing is an absolute nightmare. Let us know if you do get that or not, since the official "answer" from the NVC I got a week ago was to do exactly what you and I did.

Sorry for the late update! But 3 days after the "Send your police certificate" notice, I got an interview date!! Just like you said. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and vast wisdom :)

Timeline

I also got the notification for the interview, though mine was a full week after the "you didn't send us anything" letter. We were on vacation so I couldn't post here, but it was a HUGE weight off my shoulders. Congrats, inzazubon! I'll cross my fingers for both our partner's interviews!

On 4/6/2018 at 10:42 PM, ilovethisprocess said:

Hi all ... first post on this site, thanks for all of the information.  

So...After months of waiting from NOA1 to now... I was finally was able to access the Tokyo embassy appointment calendar to schedule K-1 interview.  It was unfortunate to see that the first available appointment was not until June 2018....a 2 month wait.  Is this a joke?!    We've been proactive in finalizing all forms/documents like i134/ds160/etc.  Police certificate was already requested and medical will be finished by mid April as well , so really wondering if there is anything that can be done to increase the chances of moving the interview date forward.  

A couple questions:

-Is 2+ month wait normal for scheduling the K-1 interview?  Seems excessive and out of line with other timelines I've seen.  I get there are a few holidays in early may, but still.

-Is there any way to manually request a reschedule, online for via phone? (a poster above gave a link to an online reschedule request form, but that looked like it was for immigrant CR1 applications only). 

-Do I need to recheck the calendar every day to see if a new appointment opens up?

Thanks

I'm not sure if it's considered normal or not, but I can tell you that our interview is scheduled for the third week in May, and it was scheduled 5 weeks after they approved our documents, so I don't believe the Golden Week holidays are affecting the schedule much. I believe CR1 interviews likely take priority for those earlier spots, but I suspect you can call to try and get it moved forward.

Timeline

Hi all,

Just starting to look into the process for getting my wife a green card, and after discussing it with 2 lawyers have decided to go it alone from Sendai. We're applying for IR-1; just had our 6th anniversary, and our son just entered his first year of kindergarten.

My first Japan-specific question: searching online, it appears that the international postal money order (国際郵便為替証書) from the local post office is the standard way people are handling payment locally from Japan for the I-130?

Thanks in advance!

Timeline

Adding myself to the discussion here. My fiance just received our first packet from the Embassy. We are sending it back tomorrow + Scheduling the medical and police forums. Hopefully we can get an interview within the next month or so. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
On 4/25/2018 at 1:08 AM, ypsirccim said:

Adding myself to the discussion here. My fiance just received our first packet from the Embassy. We are sending it back tomorrow + Scheduling the medical and police forums. Hopefully we can get an interview within the next month or so. 

I didn't know Japan needed things to be sent back for K1.

Can you tell me what type of things they wanted to be sent?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Naes said:

Ill ask her here in a bit, but she mentioned having to send something back + DS160. 

What really sucks is that the soonest interview date we could get is the 2nd... OF JULY. 

That said, once it left the NVC, it got to her doorstep in like 2 days. Really crazy.

Edited by ypsirccim

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ypsirccim said:

Ill ask her here in a bit, but she mentioned having to send something back + DS160. 

What really sucks is that the soonest interview date we could get is the 2nd... OF JULY. 

That said, once it left the NVC, it got to her doorstep in like 2 days. Really crazy.

Well still waiting for NVC...21 days and the only date I see is July 9. It was showing June 12 when I was approved. So I feel you.

did they contact to check if the address was current?

oh and thank you :) 

Edited by Naes

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Naes said:

Well still waiting for NVC...21 days and the only date I see is July 9. It was showing June 12 when I was approved. So I feel you.

did they contact to check if the address was current?

oh and thank you :) 

No problem! And no they actually didn't contact either of us to see if the address was current. I was about to call and make sure cause i've seen some stories on here of it being sent 2-3 times and not delivered, but before i could even look up the number she got the packet... Everything has really gone smooth no-counting the actual wait times. I gotta give Kudos to RadpidVisa for checking things before i sent them and having me correct a few things. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ypsirccim said:

No problem! And no they actually didn't contact either of us to see if the address was current. I was about to call and make sure cause i've seen some stories on here of it being sent 2-3 times and not delivered, but before i could even look up the number she got the packet... Everything has really gone smooth no-counting the actual wait times. I gotta give Kudos to RadpidVisa for checking things before i sent them and having me correct a few things. 

Hmm if it’s ok may I ask one last thing. Does she know by which company (courrier or post) they sent it with? Cause I moved and only post office handles address changes...I will contact them but I just want to know..

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Naes said:

Hmm if it’s ok may I ask one last thing. Does she know by which company (courrier or post) they sent it with? Cause I moved and only post office handles address changes...I will contact them but I just want to know..

Ill ask her.. but this might help. Its the packet label. 

Screenshot_20180426-093805_LINE_01.jpg

Edited by ypsirccim

Timeline
4 hours ago, Naes said:

-Copy of Passport biographic data page

-Copy of US Visas in passport, if any

-The two 2x2 photos

-printout of DS-160 confirmation (you do not need to submit another copy the day of the interview)

Use a letterpack 360/510 envelope.

The instruction packet indicates that it is optional to send in these items, but that doing so will decrease your waiting time on the day of the actual interview (so probably better to just do it).  

Timeline
6 hours ago, ilovethisprocess said:

-Copy of Passport biographic data page

-Copy of US Visas in passport, if any

-The two 2x2 photos

-printout of DS-160 confirmation (you do not need to submit another copy the day of the interview)

Use a letterpack 360/510 envelope.

The instruction packet indicates that it is optional to send in these items, but that doing so will decrease your waiting time on the day of the actual interview (so probably better to just do it).  

Thank you sooo much :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.