s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Oh ok, you (the applicant) schedules the interview, not the embassy. When I was scheduling my interview, slots were pretty easy to get for whatever date you wanted. I scheduled mine a week before my interview date.

Oh ok, you (the applicant) schedules the interview, not the embassy. When I was scheduling my interview, slots were pretty easy to get for whatever date you wanted. I scheduled mine a week before my interview date.

Thanks again...

I think in our case the interview will be scheduled by the NVC from USA. We are waiting for IR-1 visa (spousal). I heard, as you also said, the interview appt can be scheduled/re-secheduled by the applicant. By any chance do you have a link to this page? I'm searching on US Embassy site in Tokyo but no luck...hehe

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks again...

I think in our case the interview will be scheduled by the NVC from USA. We are waiting for IR-1 visa (spousal). I heard, as you also said, the interview appt can be scheduled/re-secheduled by the applicant. By any chance do you have a link to this page? I'm searching on US Embassy site in Tokyo but no luck...hehe

Thanks.

Interviews (for K1, not sure about spousal visas) are scheduled through http://www.ustraveldocs.com/jp/index.html?firstTime=No

Hopefully someone who's applied for the spousal visa can give you more info on the process. You can also contact the embassy's call center, they are pretty helpful.

Edited by Project_Harajuku

Timeline

Thanks again...

Thanks.

1st, good luck on everything! 2nd, could you update with what you find out?

We are also filling for the CR1, and waiting on the sponsor approval.... :/ I downloaded ALL the forms last May, and they released new ones in July, so long story short, filled an old form and the NVC contacted us 40 days later to say "Sorry, old form, re-do it" so now we are again waiting 30-40 days to find out of there was anything else wrong or if we'll be approved. I am really nervous that the interview will end up being waaaaaay later than we hoped (May) and more like July. SO, if you are able to re-schedule, we would really love to hear it!

ps. sorry for the mini-vent, but as you're in the same process I hope you can understand.

Timeline

1st, good luck on everything! 2nd, could you update with what you find out?

We are also filling for the CR1, and waiting on the sponsor approval.... :/ I downloaded ALL the forms last May, and they released new ones in July, so long story short, filled an old form and the NVC contacted us 40 days later to say "Sorry, old form, re-do it" so now we are again waiting 30-40 days to find out of there was anything else wrong or if we'll be approved. I am really nervous that the interview will end up being waaaaaay later than we hoped (May) and more like July. SO, if you are able to re-schedule, we would really love to hear it!

ps. sorry for the mini-vent, but as you're in the same process I hope you can understand.

Hello, We understand the frustration...been there, done that. This process is not that straight forward and they are very picky about the forms and documents.

We started our process in August and hoping to be done by end of April (crossing our fingers). Still not sure about possibility of re-scheduling to earlier date if available. As far as I understand you can always reschedule for later time. We let you know if we know something more...

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

We got our Interview!!
May 16th, so we should be in the clear!
(Unless the Hubs has TB or something crazy, or forgets where we met and fails the interview...-_-)
Anyway, just a big ARIGATOU to all y'all for your help and advice!! :dancing:

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Interview advice please:

1. Should we prepare the clear file for taking in documents?
2. Did you guys provide photos, of your spouse with your family, etc?

3. Were there any surprise fees you had to pay at the time of the interview?
4. What is this biometrics thing?

5. If say, there was a small error on your G-325(?) thing, like 宮 being written as Miya, instead of Kyu etc... would you bring it to their attention, or let it go?
6. Also, may or may not have listed father in law's DOB as 7月 instead of 4月, but he is deceased, and it is only documented that one time, so does it matter?

>I bought a transparent A4 case in 100 yen shop to bring to the interview.

> Yes. The interviewer didn't even take financial support docs saying our file is already thick, but did take the photos on our trips.

> Nope

> Fingerprinting I guess?

5. If say, there was a small error on your G-325(?) thing, like 宮 being written as Miya, instead of Kyu etc... would you bring it to their attention, or let it go?

> I think you can mention it if you have time. Interview is very short though.

6. Also, may or may not have listed father in law's DOB as 7月 instead of 4月, but he is deceased, and it is only documented that one time, so does it matter?

> You might be able to mention it too.

Good luck !! You'll be just fine :)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

>I bought a transparent A4 case in 100 yen shop to bring to the interview.

> Yes. The interviewer didn't even take financial support docs saying our file is already thick, but did take the photos on our trips.

> Nope

> Fingerprinting I guess?

> I think you can mention it if you have time. Interview is very short though.

> You might be able to mention it too.

Good luck !! You'll be just fine :)

Thank you!

We'll prepare some photos then, and see how the rest plays out.

Another question for anyone who is interested in putting their 2cents forward:

We want to move ASAP, but needed to give a month notice, our interview is May 16th, so we notified the apartment site, that we'll move May 27th, we'll stay with friends until we actually get visa in hand (if it doesn't arrive before then) BUT! (here is where your 2cents come in)

1. Should we address the Yu Pack with our current address and just cross our fingers it arrives?

2. Address it with my husbands name and a c/o Friends name and address?

3. Try to register at the post office to have it "delivered" there and just pick it up from them directly?

I know very well the whole don't quit your job until, don't sell property until... but contracts are only yearly for me, and my husband's was up as well.

If for some reason we don't get approved, we'll find new jobs here and just get a new place, but that aside, thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Received NO2 May 5th. Preparing I-134 now. Is transcripts enough along with letter from employer?

Also, what type of interview questions should be expected?

I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? California Service Center on 2/27/16

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

I-129F Sent : 2/20/16

I-129F NOA1 : 2/27/2016

I-129F NOA2 : 5/5/16

NVC Left: 6/3/2016

Interview Date : 8/1/2016 approved.

Visa Received : 8/16/2016

US Entry : 10/9/2016

Married: 10/13/2016

Adjustment of Status/EAD/Parole:

Filed : 1/2/2017

NOA : 1/11/2017

Biometrics : 2/27/17

EAD/Parole Card received: 4/26/17

I-485 approval 6/3/2017

Green Card received 6/10/17

I-751 filed remove conditions 3/6/2019

NOA received 3/12/2019

Receipt with SRC number

Bio appointment-Fingerprints 11/12/2019

old website site has confirmed finger prints

5/6/2020 notice that they are ready to schedule interview

8/31/2020 notice of case transfer to NBC Lee's Summit

says that will notify us of decision on case or if need additional info

11/3/2020 called for Info pass

11/30/2020 Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp

2/1/2020 still no update since case transfer to Lee's Summit

Timeline

Received NO2 May 5th. Preparing I-134 now. Is transcripts enough along with letter from employer?

Also, what type of interview questions should be expected?

You are in the fiancee boat, so it's a bit different than what we went through, but here is what I wrote before I realized that! :

Since my husband just finished his interview on Monday, I can give you some hints!

(BTW we got it!!!)

1st for the 1-134 make sure your documents are the current ones, I sent in an old form that I downloaded months in advance, set us back 45+ days!

2nd Transcripts, do you mean the tax ones? If you have a copy of your actual taxes (1040) you can just photo copy that and your W2s and send those instead. If you send transcripts, your partner will have to bring a copy of your current taxes & W2 to the interview. So, transcripts are NOT better than actual copies of your taxes.

3rd Interview questions were basic: Where did you meet, when, how long, have you met each others' family? Etc...

He was thrown a random question, since it was just a week after our 1yr. anni. the interviewer asked "What did you do for your anniversary?"

Honestly we cleaned the house and are just getting ready to move, but we ate cake so he told the guy, "We ate cake". >.< It was apparently a "Great! That's so nice." answer.

You can call in advance and request a translator, we did, I think it got us reality points for me being a naggy wife, though it didn't matter. The guy who did the interview just switched to Japanese when my husband was like "Uh, sorry, isn't someone going to translate?"

And that was it.

We practiced with me asking Wh questions that I thought they might ask (and 95% of them were spot on). So, don't stress over the interview!

Good luck with everything and I hope you guys have smooth sailing!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

You are in the fiancee boat, so it's a bit different than what we went through, but here is what I wrote before I realized that! :

Since my husband just finished his interview on Monday, I can give you some hints!

(BTW we got it!!!)

1st for the 1-134 make sure your documents are the current ones, I sent in an old form that I downloaded months in advance, set us back 45+ days!

2nd Transcripts, do you mean the tax ones? If you have a copy of your actual taxes (1040) you can just photo copy that and your W2s and send those instead. If you send transcripts, your partner will have to bring a copy of your current taxes & W2 to the interview. So, transcripts are NOT better than actual copies of your taxes.

3rd Interview questions were basic: Where did you meet, when, how long, have you met each others' family? Etc...

He was thrown a random question, since it was just a week after our 1yr. anni. the interviewer asked "What did you do for your anniversary?"

Honestly we cleaned the house and are just getting ready to move, but we ate cake so he told the guy, "We ate cake". >.< It was apparently a "Great! That's so nice." answer.

You can call in advance and request a translator, we did, I think it got us reality points for me being a naggy wife, though it didn't matter. The guy who did the interview just switched to Japanese when my husband was like "Uh, sorry, isn't someone going to translate?"

And that was it.

We practiced with me asking Wh questions that I thought they might ask (and 95% of them were spot on). So, don't stress over the interview!

Good luck with everything and I hope you guys have smooth sailing!

So do you send in the completed I-134 before the interview? I was under the impression that the foreign fiance takes it with them to the interview.

Also the most current version of the I-134 form on the USCIS site is dated 2/19/2014 and expired on 2/29/2016, but the site also states that "A new edition of this form is coming soon. In the meantime, customers may file using the 02/19/14 edition. We will also accept previous editions." (https://www.uscis.gov/i-134) What edition did you use and how did it "set you back" 45+ days? We would like to avoid setbacks!!! :)

Edited by kumakun

K-1 (I-129F)

Spoiler

02/19/2016 I-129F Sent
02/22/2016 I-129F Received at Lewisville, TX Lockbox
02/25/2016 NOA1 Received (Email)
05/04/2016 NOA2 Received (Email, 69 days)
05/09/2016 NOA2 Received (Hard Copy)
05/19/2016 NVC forwarded to USE-Tokyo (verbal confirmation); Case # received
05/24/2016 Case received at USE-Tokyo
05/30/2016 Packet 3 received from USE-Tokyo
06/06/2016 Requested Japan Police Certificate
06/14/2016 Medical Examination
06/16/2016 Fiance picked up Police Certificate and Medical Exam results
06/16/2016 Petitioner mailed completed I-134 and additional relationship evidence to Beneficiary
07/05/2016 K-1 Interview at USE-Tokyo -- APPROVED!
07/07/2016 K-1 visa received in passport
09/23/2016 Fiance arrived in U.S. (POE=Honolulu)
10/29/2016 Married!!!

AOS (I-485) / EAD / AP

Spoiler

11/19/2016 AOS documents (I-485/864, I-131, I-765) sent to USCIS-Chicago via UPS
12/07/2016 Text messages and emails received confirming receipt/acceptance of I-485, I-131, I-765
01/06/2017 Biometrics for AOS and EAD (USCIS-Honolulu office)
03/09/2017 EAD and AP approved! (Email/text notifications received)
03/15/2017 EAD/AP Combo Card received via U.S. Priority Mail
09/29/2017 Notification of AOS Interview received
11/07/2017 AOS Interview at USCIS-Honolulu Office -- APPROVED!
11/09/2017 Notification of Approval received
11/16/2017 Green Card received -- no notifications received regarding production or shipping!

ROC (I-751)

Spoiler

08/26/2019 ROC Petition and evidence sent to Phoenix Lockbox via UPS (delivered 08/28/2019)

08/30/2019 Filing and biometric fees charged to credit card

09/04/2019 Text message received with case number (assigned to California Service Center)

09/06/2019 I-797 Notice of Action (18-month extension document) received via U.S. Mail (dated 08/30/2019)

05/13/2020 Text message received: "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken" (we did not have a biometrics appointment)

05/18/2020 I-797 Notice of Action (reusing previously captured fingerprints/biometrics) received via U.S. Mail (dated 05/13/2020)

11/04/2020 Two (2) emails received: "Case transferred to another USCIS office"

11/11/2020 Notice received via U.S. Mail of case transfer to National Benefits Center

12/07/2020 Email received: "Card/Document Production" – new card being produced!

Timeline

So do you send in the completed I-134 before the interview? I was under the impression that the foreign fiance takes it with them to the interview.

Also the most current version of the I-134 form on the USCIS site is dated 2/19/2014 and expired on 2/29/2016, but the site also states that "A new edition of this form is coming soon. In the meantime, customers may file using the 02/19/14 edition. We will also accept previous editions." (https://www.uscis.gov/i-134) What edition did you use and how did it "set you back" 45+ days? We would like to avoid setbacks!!! :)

Hi! Sorry for being vague, we were applying for a spouse visa so the forms were different, our sponsor papers were "outdated" (Form I-864). The site still says the same thing yours said. "We will also accept previous editions."

The NVC did NOT accept the previous edition after they released the new form (ended up being in July I guess, I had downloaded in May). This set us back a whole NVC cycle, which is 45 days.

But since you recently downloaded the form, and your fiance is taking it to the embassy, not the NVC you are prob. good to go. Do you have the interview date yet? If you have the time, and the forms are just you filling them out, just check the page again and see if the form they provide is the same. If it is, no sweat!

As for taking the form to the interview, again we were in a different boat, if the paper says "Bring this to the interview" I'd put my money on that!

Perhaps someone else "here" who has filled for the same can advise, since they went through the same process.

I wish you guys the best of luck!

Timeline

We had the interview at the USA embassy in Tokyo on 5/31. Since I was in Japan at the time I also attended the interview and thought I share my experience. We (my wife with kids) were processing the CR-1 visa/green card via NVC submission.

After arriving at the embassy we were given yet another list of documents and the order they need to be put in the transparent folder.

The list is generic so some of things listed do not apply in every case. For example it listed to include the affidavit of support and police certificate but both of those were already submitted to NVC, hence the embassy received them directly from NVC.

After about an hour wait we were called to first window where the clerk checked all documents and ask couple generic questions. By the way if you ever been to the embassy in Tokyo the visa room is a big waiting room with lots of chairs and bunch of windows - similar to bank clerk windows.

One think to point here they asked for my most recent income tax return even though it was never listed anywhere as required document. Also bunch of documents that were listed in various letters we received were never needed. But better safe than sorry.

After the clerk confirmed that all of the required documents are completed we were asked to seat and wait for finger printing.

That took next half an hour after which my wife was called to yet another window to scan fingertips. That was all quick.

After that we needed to wait more for the interview step. Eventually we were called to yet another window. At that time the clerk asked me to step aside and sit down and wait. Kids were also excused.

So here I am sitting and watching my wife at the window talking to a clerk. In my mind I thought my wife was being informed about her rights in case of abuse, etc.

About 10 minutes passed my wife finished talking to the clerk came to me and said we are DONE - APPROVED! Really that was it. An interview just at the clerk window without kids or me being part of it. Surprised it was so quick but very happy that this long process is over!

Timeline

So we did get our NO2 approval letter a month ago. I have yet to get anything from NVC. :(

I see by most timelines that something happens with NVC in less than 30 days on a K-1.

How long does it typically take get a notice by regular mail from the NVC?

(I sent email this morning to NVC to ask about case number assigned)

I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? California Service Center on 2/27/16

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

I-129F Sent : 2/20/16

I-129F NOA1 : 2/27/2016

I-129F NOA2 : 5/5/16

NVC Left: 6/3/2016

Interview Date : 8/1/2016 approved.

Visa Received : 8/16/2016

US Entry : 10/9/2016

Married: 10/13/2016

Adjustment of Status/EAD/Parole:

Filed : 1/2/2017

NOA : 1/11/2017

Biometrics : 2/27/17

EAD/Parole Card received: 4/26/17

I-485 approval 6/3/2017

Green Card received 6/10/17

I-751 filed remove conditions 3/6/2019

NOA received 3/12/2019

Receipt with SRC number

Bio appointment-Fingerprints 11/12/2019

old website site has confirmed finger prints

5/6/2020 notice that they are ready to schedule interview

8/31/2020 notice of case transfer to NBC Lee's Summit

says that will notify us of decision on case or if need additional info

11/3/2020 called for Info pass

11/30/2020 Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp

2/1/2020 still no update since case transfer to Lee's Summit

Timeline

So we did get our NO2 approval letter a month ago. I have yet to get anything from NVC. :(

I see by most timelines that something happens with NVC in less than 30 days on a K-1.

How long does it typically take get a notice by regular mail from the NVC?

(I sent email this morning to NVC to ask about case number assigned)

The NVC post takes sooooooooooo freeeeeeaaaaaakkkkkking LONG to arrive.

And, when I talked with the NVC, the lady I spoke to told me every paper/packet that arrives there goes through a 45 day process, so if you get nothing

after 30 days, their answer will be "Please wait 2 more weeks".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.