s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey everyone. I'm an American guy with a Japanese fiancee. Just wanted to make an introduction.

I guess the first thing I gotta do is send in an I-129F file, eh?

Are lawyers worth it?

I thought it is impossible to go through CR-1 process without a lawyer, but now after all is done by ourselves it's even funny to think that we were seriously thinking about hiring an lawyer. If your case is straightforward, you can do it yourself. You just need to spend a bit more time on it. I must state that it was impossible without VJ though :lol: Good luck to you and your fiance.

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi,

I have a question to all Japanese people here who obtained the US citizenship.

I'm in a process of naturalization to USC, and wondering what might be some major pros and cons of doing so.

For example, after naturalization if I can't receive the pension from Japan, that will be a con.

I will have to renounce Japanese citizenship, that will be another con.

But if anything happens to my USC husband, if I can receive his social security money without penalty, that will be a pro.

Does anyone know? I'm trying to weigh in between the pros and cons. :help:

- M

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

What does it ask for? I can't remember the questions.

Question # 16 says: If your fiance's native alphabet uses other than Roman letters, write his or her name and address abroad in the native alphabet. (Then it asks for her name, number and street, city, province, and country.) She is Japanese, so would it have to be written in kanji.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Question # 16 says: If your fiance's native alphabet uses other than Roman letters, write his or her name and address abroad in the native alphabet. (Then it asks for her name, number and street, city, province, and country.) She is Japanese, so would it have to be written in kanji.

I think you've just answered your own question :bonk: . Yes, write it in kanji.

I think you've just answered your own question :bonk: . Yes, write it in kanji.

Thanks, so this is part of the I-129F. When preparing this packet, I believe I have to translate documents that are in a language other than english. This 1 single question on the I-129F doesn't have to be translated, right? How would you even translate an address?

Also, on form G-325A, when she has to put the full name and Address of employer and also when she has to sign at the bottom does she do the signature in Kanji?

Timeline

Thanks, so this is part of the I-129F. When preparing this packet, I believe I have to translate documents that are in a language other than english. This 1 single question on the I-129F doesn't have to be translated, right? How would you even translate an address?

Also, on form G-325A, when she has to put the full name and Address of employer and also when she has to sign at the bottom does she do the signature in Kanji?

It's not a document, it is something they have asked for. They have the English version, they want it in her native language - write it in kanji. Translate an address means just write it in romaji not kanji - for example 大阪 becomes Osaka.

Form G-325A should all be written in romaji. Sign it in romaji, not kanji.

Don't read so much into it, just do what they ask for. They don't ask for it to be written in Japanese on the G-325A.

It's not a document, it is something they have asked for. They have the English version, they want it in her native language - write it in kanji. Translate an address means just write it in romaji not kanji - for example 大阪 becomes Osaka.

Form G-325A should all be written in romaji. Sign it in romaji, not kanji.

Don't read so much into it, just do what they ask for. They don't ask for it to be written in Japanese on the G-325A.

so, since she is to sign her name in romaji at the bottom of the G325A, should she just print her name since she's never written in script/cursive? Also, there is one super small part on the G-325A where they ask her to write her name in her native alphabet.

Also, they won't accept a copy of the G-325A, right? What I mean is, she can't do it in Japan, and then scan and email it to me, right? Even if she typed all the info. on the computer, she would still have to sign her signature at the bottom in pen, right? And then she would have to send me a hard copy of that in the mail, right? They don't want copies, right?

Hey guys, I just went through all 63 pages (it actually took like 8 hours or something spread over 2 nights) and there were some questions. Alot of you guys made it seem like you had more success than failure. That's good! I still have some questions (super basic) for sending the original I-129F (K-1 Visa):

====================================================================================

1.) My girlfriend has to get a police record of places she's lived in for at least more than a year, right? Well, there's Tokyo, Osaka, and I think she was in Philadelphia for 10 months (she was a study abroad student). Is the Philadelphia thing automatically disqualified?

2.) For the last year I've kind of been living in an apartment that is under my mother's name (the only tie I have to it is that my name is on the cable bill). My mother's name is on the lease. My name doesn't show up anywhere on the lease. Do I list this other apartment as a place that I have lived in during the last 5 years? I still receive all mail and payments at my mother's apartment.

3.)If I can't find my original birth certificate (which was some torn old yellow paper), I can send in a copy of the copy they gave me years later, right? If I can't find that, I'm allowed to send in copies of my passport. The passport has to have a validity of at least 5 years . Does that mean that it has to be good until 2017, or that it has to have been like mine actually is (for example from March 2003-March 2013)?

4.) Also, they won't accept a copy of the G-325A, right? What I mean is, she can't do it in Japan, and then scan and email it to me, right? Even if she typed all the info. on the computer, she would still have to sign her signature at the bottom in pen, right? And then she would have to send me a hard copy of that in the mail, right? They don't want copies, or is that acceptable? I ask because, per my understanding, I am the one that's supposed to mail an envelope with my I-129F, my G-325A, her G-325A, etc. So, all the forms for this first part need to be with me here in New York for the first step, right?

5.) Do you send all the I-129F forms in a big manilla envelope, or what is the method of choice?

Edited by Trymester3

Timeline

Hey guys, I just went through all 63 pages (it actually took like 8 hours or something spread over 2 nights) and there were some questions. Alot of you guys made it seem like you had more success than failure. That's good! I still have some questions (super basic) for sending the original I-129F (K-1 Visa):

====================================================================================

1.) My girlfriend has to get a police record of places she's lived in for at least more than a year, right? Well, there's Tokyo, Osaka, and I think she was in Philadelphia for 10 months (she was a study abroad student). Is the Philadelphia thing automatically disqualified?

2.) For the last year I've kind of been living in an apartment that is under my mother's name (the only tie I have to it is that my name is on the cable bill). My mother's name is on the lease. My name doesn't show up anywhere on the lease. Do I list this other apartment as a place that I have lived in during the last 5 years? I still receive all mail and payments at my mother's apartment.

3.)If I can't find my original birth certificate (which was some torn old yellow paper), I can send in a copy of the copy they gave me years later, right? If I can't find that, I'm allowed to send in copies of my passport. The passport has to have a validity of at least 5 years . Does that mean that it has to be good until 2017, or that it has to have been like mine actually is (for example from March 2003-March 2013)?

4.) Also, they won't accept a copy of the G-325A, right? What I mean is, she can't do it in Japan, and then scan and email it to me, right? Even if she typed all the info. on the computer, she would still have to sign her signature at the bottom in pen, right? And then she would have to send me a hard copy of that in the mail, right? They don't want copies, or is that acceptable? I ask because, per my understanding, I am the one that's supposed to mail an envelope with my I-129F, my G-325A, her G-325A, etc. So, all the forms for this first part need to be with me here in New York for the first step, right?

5.) Do you send all the I-129F forms in a big manilla envelope, or what is the method of choice?

I also went through all 63 pages - quite a few more times, in fact.

1) Yes, it is a certificate for the country not each specific place in the country. That's right. You don't need one for the US, they will do their own checks on her.

2) Yes, just list that place. It doesn't ask if your name is on the lease. Just answer the question.

3) I don't know - post this question in the K1 area.

4) No, they will not accept a scanned copy of her signature. She or you can type out all the details, but she must sign it in ink and send it to you.

5) Any envelope that it all fits in will do.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Holliver

I also went through all 63 pages - quite a few more times, in fact.

1) Yes, it is a certificate for the country not each specific place in the country. That's right. You don't need one for the US, they will do their own checks on her.

2) Yes, just list that place. It doesn't ask if your name is on the lease. Just answer the question.

3) I don't know - post this question in the K1 area.

4) No, they will not accept a scanned copy of her signature. She or you can type out all the details, but she must sign it in ink and send it to you.

5) Any envelope that it all fits in will do.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply Holliver.

1.)I could've sworn I read somewhere that if the person lived in a different prefecture for over a year, they would need a police record for each place. Is there anywhere this is written in Japanese so that I can forward that info. to her?

2.) The thing about listing the place is that it doesn't benefit me in any way. For example, on the form it says to list where I lived in the last 5 years, the first option already has the words "present time" written on it. By the time, they receive my application I will no longer live there or have any ties to that place, so it won't be my "present time" address. Also, I never acknowledged anywhere else that I am living there. I just have my name on the cable bill.

3.)Posted it

4.) thanks

5.) thanks

Timeline

Thanks for your reply Holliver.

1.)I could've sworn I read somewhere that if the person lived in a different prefecture for over a year, they would need a police record for each place. Is there anywhere this is written in Japanese so that I can forward that info. to her?

2.) The thing about listing the place is that it doesn't benefit me in any way. For example, on the form it says to list where I lived in the last 5 years, the first option already has the words "present time" written on it. By the time, they receive my application I will no longer live there or have any ties to that place, so it won't be my "present time" address. Also, I never acknowledged anywhere else that I am living there. I just have my name on the cable bill.

3.)Posted it

4.) thanks

5.) thanks

1) I don't know, I don't read or speak Japanese. I don't remember reading that anywhere. You don't need the police certificate for the initial 1-129F application anyway, just for the interview. And probably won't be able to get it until the US embassy in Tokyo has received her file. She will then get a letter from them with instructions about the police cert and medical and interview (written in Eng and Jap). I had to show the police my letter from the US embassy asking for a police cert. It only takes about two weeks to process and she must go in person to the head police office. It's near Osaka-jo.

2) It doesn't matter if it doesn't "benefit" you (what does that mean anyway??) Just write what they are asking for. If you will move, write your new address as 'present address' or put unknown for your present address. I don't understand why you are having such a problem in answering simple questions.

3) Good

4) You're welcome

5) You're welcome

1) I don't know, I don't read or speak Japanese. I don't remember reading that anywhere. You don't need the police certificate for the initial 1-129F application anyway, just for the interview. And probably won't be able to get it until the US embassy in Tokyo has received her file. She will then get a letter from them with instructions about the police cert and medical and interview (written in Eng and Jap). I had to show the police my letter from the US embassy asking for a police cert. It only takes about two weeks to process and she must go in person to the head police office. It's near Osaka-jo.

2) It doesn't matter if it doesn't "benefit" you (what does that mean anyway??) Just write what they are asking for. If you will move, write your new address as 'present address' or put unknown for your present address. I don't understand why you are having such a problem in answering simple questions.

3) Good

4) You're welcome

5) You're welcome

I appreciate the replies Holliver. I know they're basic questions, but I tried to help my girl get a student visa earlier this year and she got denied so I just want to make sure that everything is as perfect as it can be this time around.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Japan is a great country. Don't you just think so?

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.