melody1058

Husband overstayed on visa waiver by 3 months

9 posts in this topic

My husband and I have been together for 10 years , married for 4 1/2. We have 2 children , one born in the U.S the other born in Scotland ( which is where my husband is from). I have lived in the U.K. for 6 years on a visa , but we were married in the U.S. My visa had expired for the UK so my children and I moved back to the states on Aug. 1st. My husband came with us , to help with the children (the youngest was only 3 months). My husband was going to go back after the 90 days but our oldest child was having such a hard time adjusting to school , she even got sent to the school GC for 6 weeks because of her anxiety. With all this going on my husband wouldn't leave, afraid it would cause her more stress. We went to talk to a lawyer last week and he said we had 3 options : 1. Leave the country for a week and come back because he hasn't overstayed by 180 days so they legally cant bar him from entry (they can shorten the time he is allowed to stay) 2. Go ahead and file because he hasn't overstayed long enough to be barred but he does run the risk of being picked up or 3. File with the waiver ( the I 162 the one you would use if you overstayed or had been banned)

Would just like some advice if anyone has been in a similar situation. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Is your husband's plan to live in the US permanently? Was he just visiting and you are going to live here permanently?

Has your husband filed for adjustment of status (AOS) to become a permanent resident in the US? If he has, then he cannot leave the US without Advance Parole (approval of I-131) or his Greencard.

We can certainly give advice, but it would be helpful to have a little more background information.

Edited by atm

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

The lawyer is a moron.

1. If he leaves with a VWP overstay, he is ineligible to use the VWP again. He would need a visa to enter the U.S. With an overstay, a visitor visa is out of the question. He would need an immigration visa which would take a year.

2. There is no freakin bar if he stays and adjust status to get a green card. This is what I would do.

3. You do not need a stinkin waiver.

Do some research on this site. You will find many people who have overstayed their 90 days on the VWP. Their best move was to file to adjust. No waiver. No leaving the U.S. And no moronic attorney.

Best of luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Horrible information, no more VWP for him and a B is very unlikely.

File and adjust.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Agree with the advice given. File to adjust status and get a greencard for your husband, just make sure he doesn't leave the US until he has his EAD/advanced parole or the actual greencard. You can follow the guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Hopefully you didn't pay that lawyer any money, he hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

Good Luck!

Is your husband's plan to live in the US permanently? Was he just visiting and you are going to live here permanently?

Has your husband filed for adjustment of status (AOS) to become a permanent resident in the US? If he has, then he cannot leave the US without Advance Parole (approval of I-131) or his Greencard.

We can certainly give advice, but it would be helpful to have a little more background information.

Yes he does want to live here permanently. We had started the process over in the UK , but we were in Scotland and everything has to be done down in London. It cost to much to fly back and forth all the time and my visa expired in June , which meant we couldn't do it from there and the petition was going to expire at the end of August so we decided I would come back, he would come over to help bring the kids then head back to Scotland to sort out the house , etc. Our eldest had such a hard time , he didn't want to leave and here we are 3 1/2 months past the 90 days. Please feel free to ask anything you need to know. I truly appreciate the help.

Melody

Hi,

The lawyer is a moron.

1. If he leaves with a VWP overstay, he is ineligible to use the VWP again. He would need a visa to enter the U.S. With an overstay, a visitor visa is out of the question. He would need an immigration visa which would take a year.

2. There is no freakin bar if he stays and adjust status to get a green card. This is what I would do.

3. You do not need a stinkin waiver.

Do some research on this site. You will find many people who have overstayed their 90 days on the VWP. Their best move was to file to adjust. No waiver. No leaving the U.S. And no moronic attorney.

Best of luck.

LOL Thank you for the much needed advice...... and laugh! My mom suggested getting a second opinion from another lawyer but I decided to try this instead.Glad I did! Thanks again!

Horrible information, no more VWP for him and a B is very unlikely.

File and adjust.

Thank you !

Agree with the advice given. File to adjust status and get a greencard for your husband, just make sure he doesn't leave the US until he has his EAD/advanced parole or the actual greencard. You can follow the guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Hopefully you didn't pay that lawyer any money, he hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does he need to go back anytime soon? You mentioned a house.

Anyway I will ask a mod to move this thread to the right section as you will be adjusting.

BTW if you go to the London Consulate web site it clearly states that if you have overstayed the VWP you can no longer use it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.