1,729 posts in this topic

How can that be possible when someone who applied for naturalization on 01/30/15 (11 days before me) took oath to become a citizen on 05/29/15 and someone else who also applied on 01/30/15 have an interview set for 07/02/15 and another person who applied on 02/09/15 (3 days after me) has an interview set for 06/18/15...something is wrong here when it supposed to be first come first serve.

Please don't panic. It is just your background check took longer than the others. You will hear from them soon. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Please advise me on what to do here, I mailed my application on 02/06/15, got the priority date of 02/09/15 and my biometric was done on 03/12/15, I received this email late this after from one of my Senator office:

Good Afternoon,

As of today, your case is still in the background check process. According to the NBC, you may expect a 3-6 month or greater wait for the front end processing of the case before it is scheduled for an interview. We will check again in 45-60 days.

Sincerely,

How can that be possible when someone who applied for naturalization on 01/30/15 (11 days before me) took oath to become a citizen on 05/29/15 and someone else who also applied on 01/30/15 have an interview set for 07/02/15 and another person who applied on 02/09/15 (3 days after me) has an interview set for 06/18/15...something is wrong here when it supposed to be first come first serve.

Thank you in advance.

No one ever said it was first come first served. Some background checks take longer than others. They definitely do not hold up later applicants because some background checks have not been completed.

Why is your senator writing to you? When did you contact him? I would not have contacted my senator before the 4 month mark from biometrics. Your application is still well within normal processing times.

When it has been 120 days, I would schedule an appointment and to all to USCIS. If that doesn't work, contact your other senator, your congressman, or the same senator. If none of that works, you can take USCIS to court, but that's pretty drastic. You are literally months away from your case being even remotely out of the ordinary. In fact, if you take your oath in October, your case will still not be unusual.

Practically, if you haven't been placed inline by mid July, then you should start to contact them... anytging prior to that would be premature.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

Hi Guys

Put my stuff in RED.

I cleared the interview and the oath the same day along with my wife.

Interview was at 1:00 pm, and I reached there by 12:30 pm. I went in and gave my letter to the first window and I was told to wait. I waited for 40 minutes and then my name was called. She was a pleasant lady as soon as I went to her office she made me swear to tell the truth.
She told me to sit down and I gave her my green card, state ID (DL) and my passports(both expired and active); then she asked me to verify my name, date of birth, and nationality; then she asked me how I got my green card (through work or otherwise); then she asked me where I worked and what type of work I do; then she started going through the questions from my application Part 11 onwards till the very end.
The part where it came to the arrest, citation etc, I said I had been cited by a cop for traffic tickets; she asked if they were all under 500 and if any was for DUI for which I said there were none. She said everybody gets traffic tickets. But it was good that I had certified dispositions of all possible tickets that I could get my hands on.
Then came testing time, she gave me six questions and I passed and then she asked me to read:
1) When is Columbus Day celebrated?
I read that and then she asked me to write--Columbus Day is in the month of October.
Then she gave me a sheet saying congratulations, you passed and told me to wait outside with another sheet as the oath was to be on the same day. I waited for an hour signed my Naturalization certificate after verifying the details. Oath was held at 4:30pm and now the process of passport starts. Seems like a century! phew! but its all done.

All the best for everybody and thanks ofr this forum and all its members!!!!!!

Q1) Name one branch or part of the government
Q2) We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
Q3) If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
Q4) What does the President's cabinet do?
Q5) How many justices are in the Supreme Court?
Q6) What did the declaration of Independence do?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello to all of you, Just to give a background I have my interview letter which is set to be June 9, and they sent me a letter saying they have to reschedule my interview due to unforeseen circumstances, and until this time I didn't have any mail from them, my husband research for a case like mine, and most of them still appear on the date of interview date and time and some of them say that they are interview that day, now we are thinking to do the same, or the worst will be tell us to go back home and wait for the reschedule letter right? What can you all advice us? We will appreciate it so much thank you in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello to all of you, Just to give a background I have my interview letter which is set to be June 9, and they sent me a letter saying they have to reschedule my interview due to unforeseen circumstances, and until this time I didn't have any mail from them, my husband research for a case like mine, and most of them still appear on the date of interview date and time and some of them say that they are interview that day, now we are thinking to do the same, or the worst will be tell us to go back home and wait for the reschedule letter right? What can you all advice us? We will appreciate it so much thank you in advance!

This happens from time to time.. it's not common, but it happens.

There was one case of a applicant who showed up on the originally scheduled date and was actually interviewed... that's the only one I've read about... every other case I've read about the applicant was sent away.

If you live close to the office and you have nothing better to do then you can try.

If they've rescheduled your case because of scheduling mistakes, they may make time for you if someone else fails to show up or if they are moving ahead of schedule. Both of these are unlikely.

If they've rescheduled your case because you file hasn't arrived at the local office, then they won't interview you unless they've recently received the file. Even if they have received the file, they will probably have given your interview slot to someone else.

So I'd say that there's a very small chance (but still a chance) that you may be interviewed.

Also, even if they turn you away, there's a chance, although not a good chance, that they may agree to print a copy of your new interview letter for you if you've already been scheduled.

So if you don't mind possibly wasting a day, you can try, but don't expect much.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

This happens from time to time.. it's not common, but it happens.

There was one case of a applicant who showed up on the originally scheduled date and was actually interviewed... that's the only one I've read about... every other case I've read about the applicant was sent away.

If you live close to the office and you have nothing better to do then you can try.

If they've rescheduled your case because of scheduling mistakes, they may make time for you if someone else fails to show up or if they are moving ahead of schedule. Both of these are unlikely.

If they've rescheduled your case because you file hasn't arrived at the local office, then they won't interview you unless they've recently received the file. Even if they have received the file, they will probably have given your interview slot to someone else.

So I'd say that there's a very small chance (but still a chance) that you may be interviewed.

Also, even if they turn you away, there's a chance, although not a good chance, that they may agree to print a copy of your new interview letter for you if you've already been scheduled.

So if you don't mind possibly wasting a day, you can try, but don't expect much.

Anyone know if the online status updates (all being well) from Interview and Testing, to Oath Scheduling, to Oath Scheduled? Or does it jump from Interview and Testing to Oath Scheduled?

Just curious. Excited for this all to be done :D

Timeline

Thank you so much? jimmyhou yes the uscis office is close to us, I don't want to expect that they will do the interview but to make sure that the letter I received is not a mistake because as soon as I received the interview letter the next day is the rescheduling letter, my husband say nothing to loos if we will try to go, I am just nervous lol

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Anyone know if the online status updates (all being well) from Interview and Testing, to Oath Scheduling, to Oath Scheduled? Or does it jump from Interview and Testing to Oath Scheduled?

Just curious. Excited for this all to be done :D

For me, the status changed to "Oach ceremony notice was mailed" a few days after my interview, and about 10 days after the interview, I got the letter in the mail.

I have a question for the more knowledgeable on this site. How do I go about rescheduling my oath of it comes down to it?

I had my interview on the May 5th, was placed in line for oath on the 11th ( I think). Looking at the calendar for oath ceremonies in my district one : May 7th, May 14th , June 18th, July 16th , August 20th etc.... According to the IO, she had told me that they usually give send you the letter at least 2 weeks ahead of time, which means that most likely I am not making the June 18th one. Now the problem is that I will be out of the country for a month starting July 1st. Looking at people that got their interview around the same time as I did, they have already taken the oath or taking it in June, which means that most likely I will be scheduled for July

Scenario 1: the letter comes when I am still here, what is the procedure to reschedule it? do they need proof that I will be out? do I need to do an info pass or send it by mail? ( I want confirmation they have actually received my request to reschedule that way my application is not considered abandoned)

Scenario 2: The letter comes when I am not here. Then what? Can I make an info pass to USCIS office before I leave and tell them ""I will not be here please don't schedule me for another month?". I could have my neighbor check my mail for us , she usually does when we are not here, but her husband is sick and with a lot on her mind, i am afraid she might not pay attention to USCIS letter and/ or not communicate with me on time etc...

suggestions?

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; you works are wonderful, I know that full well"~Ps 139: 14

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hi Guys

Put my stuff in RED.

I cleared the interview and the oath the same day along with my wife.

Interview was at 1:00 pm, and I reached there by 12:30 pm. I went in and gave my letter to the first window and I was told to wait. I waited for 40 minutes and then my name was called. She was a pleasant lady as soon as I went to her office she made me swear to tell the truth.

She told me to sit down and I gave her my green card, state ID (DL) and my passports(both expired and active); then she asked me to verify my name, date of birth, and nationality; then she asked me how I got my green card (through work or otherwise); then she asked me where I worked and what type of work I do; then she started going through the questions from my application Part 11 onwards till the very end.

The part where it came to the arrest, citation etc, I said I had been cited by a cop for traffic tickets; she asked if they were all under 500 and if any was for DUI for which I said there were none. She said everybody gets traffic tickets. But it was good that I had certified dispositions of all possible tickets that I could get my hands on.

Then came testing time, she gave me six questions and I passed and then she asked me to read:

1) When is Columbus Day celebrated?

I read that and then she asked me to write--Columbus Day is in the month of October.

Then she gave me a sheet saying congratulations, you passed and told me to wait outside with another sheet as the oath was to be on the same day. I waited for an hour signed my Naturalization certificate after verifying the details. Oath was held at 4:30pm and now the process of passport starts. Seems like a century! phew! but its all done.

All the best for everybody and thanks ofr this forum and all its members!!!!!!

Q1) Name one branch or part of the government

Q2) We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?

Q3) If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?

Q4) What does the President's cabinet do?

Q5) How many justices are in the Supreme Court?

Q6) What did the declaration of Independence do?

Congrats!

Congrats everyone on your interview success. Peaksy, Losalvatore, and Foramen from Washington DC thanks for sharing your experience as I've been trailing behind you guys and my big day is tomorrow!

Should I take two pics with me or the pics you'll signed at the interview were the ones you sent in with the application? Also please share the documents you took with you. It appears most folks aren't asked for documents.

Thanks Kacy, I took another set of pictures but She made me sign the ones sent with the aplication, regarding the documents I took the basics, wife passport, wife birth certificate, marriage certificate, my passport, gc, taxes basically the same as always.

USCIS:
  • Jun 22 2015: Filed I-130 petition
  • Jun 25 2015: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
  • Jun 26 2015: Petition is accepted by USCIS routed to CSC
  • Jun 26 2015: NOA1 received via email/text
  • Jun 30 2015: NOA1 received via mail
  • Aug 14 2015: Case approved (there was no email, no text, checked on the website)
  • Aug 18 2015: NOA2 received via mail

NVC:

• Aug 25 2015: Delivered to NVC. (Agent informs over the phone)
  • Sep 03 2015: Case number provided over the phone.
  • Sep 03 2015: DS261 Completed Online.
  • Sep 03 2015: AOS Fee Paid Online (IV not Invoiced).
  • Sep 08 2015: AOS Fee marked as Paid Online.
  • Sep 08 2015: AOS package mailed.
  • Sep 10 2015: NVC Welcome Letter Received in the mail.
  • Sep 11 2015: AOS package Delivered (As per Currier)
  • Sep 14 2015: AOS package received by NVC (As per agent over the phone)
  • Sep 23 2015: IV Invoiced by Email and paid Online.
  • Sep 24 2015: DS260 Submitted.

Thanks Los Salvatore. I appreciate the response and will let you guys know how my interview goes tomorrow. Did you take banking information? Did she/he ask for the documents? .

I wish you the best, she did not ask for any documents, I try to sent as much I could with the aplication.

USCIS:
  • Jun 22 2015: Filed I-130 petition
  • Jun 25 2015: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
  • Jun 26 2015: Petition is accepted by USCIS routed to CSC
  • Jun 26 2015: NOA1 received via email/text
  • Jun 30 2015: NOA1 received via mail
  • Aug 14 2015: Case approved (there was no email, no text, checked on the website)
  • Aug 18 2015: NOA2 received via mail

NVC:

• Aug 25 2015: Delivered to NVC. (Agent informs over the phone)
  • Sep 03 2015: Case number provided over the phone.
  • Sep 03 2015: DS261 Completed Online.
  • Sep 03 2015: AOS Fee Paid Online (IV not Invoiced).
  • Sep 08 2015: AOS Fee marked as Paid Online.
  • Sep 08 2015: AOS package mailed.
  • Sep 10 2015: NVC Welcome Letter Received in the mail.
  • Sep 11 2015: AOS package Delivered (As per Currier)
  • Sep 14 2015: AOS package received by NVC (As per agent over the phone)
  • Sep 23 2015: IV Invoiced by Email and paid Online.
  • Sep 24 2015: DS260 Submitted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.