1,729 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey guys, I have one question!

Do my passaport need to be valid for the interview or they will not ask for that? Mine expired this may!

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Do my passaport need to be valid for the interview or they will not ask for that? Mine expired this may!

Thanks

You need to have some form of valid ID, but I guess the Green Card and a Driver license can cover that, (the Green Card also tells your nationality btw) I am pretty sure you need to bring the expired passport to the Interview though, since going there without any current or previous passport may raise some questions.

I would not have renewed my expired passport, but I would have brought it to the interview.

Note: this is just my opinion and what I would have done in your situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks

They asked for my passport during the interview. I took my new one and the one I had when I entered the US with the K1 visa, and that's the one they wanted to see.

K1 Visa in 2013

AOS in 2014

N-400 in 2015 {based on Section 319(b) INA}

:time:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks

You don't need a valid passport, but you need to take any passports you have with you (current or expired). You especially need any passports you've had since you got your green card.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Experts, need suggestions.

My case is still stuck and first/last status update was on Feb 11 (Application received). I did my FP on 03/04. All the cases on this forum in LA area are moving except mine. Some people I personally know already got their oath done who filed after my application in the month of Feb.

I have couple of questions:

1) How long usually the background check takes? I read somewhere a while ago that background checks need to be completed within certain time period. Is there any way to check the status?

2) Is there a possibility that biometrics were never sent back to USCIS from ACS? How to find out?

I have tried calling USCIS couple of times but they read the online status and could not initiate the inquiry as it is still falling under 5 months period which is processing time for LA area. I also heard about 120 days rule. When does 120 days supposed to begin, from the date of application acceptance or from the date of doing the biometrics (last action on the case)? I scheduled the infopass appointment by mid-June but not sure if USCIS will honor this appointment because of the processing time.

I am getting frustrated with the wait time now. Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Edited by FSI

Timeline

Experts, need suggestions.

My case is still stuck and first/last status update was on Feb 11 (Application received). I did my FP on 03/04. All the cases on this forum in LA area are moving except mine. Some people I personally know already got their oath done who filed after my application in the month of Feb.

I have couple of questions:

1) How long usually the background check takes? I read somewhere a while ago that background checks need to be completed within certain time period. Is there any way to check the status?

2) Is there a possibility that biometrics were never sent back to USCIS from ACS? How to find out?

I have tried calling USCIS couple of times but they read the online status and could not initiate the inquiry as it is still falling under 5 months period which is processing time for LA area. I also heard about 120 days rule. When does 120 days supposed to begin, from the date of application acceptance or from the date of doing the biometrics (last action on the case)? I scheduled the infopass appointment by mid-June but not sure if USCIS will honor this appointment because of the processing time.

I am getting frustrated with the wait time now. Any suggestions would be appreciate.

120 days from the last update. So 4 months from your biometrics date. Once it's been that long, schedule an Infopass appointment and check up on your application.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

120 days from the last update. So 4 months from your biometrics date. Once it's been that long, schedule an Infopass appointment and check up on your application.

Hi JimmyHou,

Thank you for the reply. When you say 120 days from last update, are you referring update in the system as date/status got updated as result of biometrics. This is why I asked the question in my earlier post if there is anyway to check on biometrics whether it was sent correctly or not by the ASC.

Timeline

Hi JimmyHou,

Thank you for the reply. When you say 120 days from last update, are you referring update in the system as date/status got updated as result of biometrics. This is why I asked the question in my earlier post if there is anyway to check on biometrics whether it was sent correctly or not by the ASC.

You can contact them at anytime you want, however, you're more likely to get a useful response if you wait 120 days from the last change to your case. If I understood your timeline, the last thing that happened was that you went in for your biometrics. I'm not sure what status update after biometrics you're talking about... that would be "inline for interview". If you got that notice, then they have 120 days from that point. If you got no updates after biometrics, then the last change to your case was the day you had your biometrics taken, so it's 120 days from biometrics.

In some cases USCIS doesn't abide by these rules and may make you wait longer; you may set up an Infopass for 4 months after biometrics and get no answer... in that case you'll need to get congressional or legal help.

Edited by JimmyHou

You can contact them at anytime you want, however, you're more likely to get a useful response if you wait 120 days from the last change to your case. If I understood your timeline, the last thing that happened was that you went in for your biometrics. I'm not sure what status update after biometrics you're talking about... that would be "inline for interview". If you got that notice, then they have 120 days from that point. If you got no updates after biometrics, then the last change to your case was the day you had your biometrics taken, so it's 120 days from biometrics.

In some cases USCIS doesn't abide by these rules and may make you wait longer; you may set up an Infopass for 4 months after biometrics and get no answer... in that case you'll need to get congressional or legal help.

Thank you JimmyHou. It makes sense.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thank you JimmyHou. It makes sense.

im in the same boat us you and my case started on feb 2 and I still didn't hear anything after the bio, I filed at the Arizona office too .I have been here 9 years married with two kids and to add to the phone I lost my passport and I did not receive a new one yet if I go to the interview I hope the police report of the lost passport would be enough

Edited by NacerTag

im in the same boat us you and my case started on feb 2 and I still didn't hear anything after the bio, I filed at the Arizona office too

I took infopass appointment for Mid- June at the local field office. I would give it a try or else I will have to make another appointment if the case is still untouched. You should try making an appointment at your local field office as well and see if it works.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I took infopass appointment for Mid- June at the local field office. I would give it a try or else I will have to make another appointment if the case is still untouched. You should try making an appointment at your local field office as well and see if it works.

sound like the right thing to do ,good luck

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Please advise me on what to do here, I mailed my application on 02/06/15, got the priority date of 02/09/15 and my biometric was done on 03/12/15, I received this email late this after from one of my Senator office:

Good Afternoon,

As of today, your case is still in the background check process. According to the NBC, you may expect a 3-6 month or greater wait for the front end processing of the case before it is scheduled for an interview. We will check again in 45-60 days.

Sincerely,

How can that be possible when someone who applied for naturalization on 01/30/15 (11 days before me) took oath to become a citizen on 05/29/15 and someone else who also applied on 01/30/15 have an interview set for 07/02/15 and another person who applied on 02/09/15 (3 days after me) has an interview set for 06/18/15...something is wrong here when it supposed to be first come first serve.

Thank you in advance.

" For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

My Timeline

Entered the USA on July 22nd, 1999 on B1/B2 (I-94 valid through January 2000)
Second marriage to the Love of my life on August 5th, 2006
Son born on September 30th, 2007
Son born on August 26th, 2009
Deported/Removed from the US on August 19th, 2010
Filed an I-824 (01-06-2011)
I-824 Approved (01-21-2011) and Forwarded to NBC
Email From The NVC (02-07-2011) Case Received and Case Number Assigned
AOS and IV invoices fees on February 11th, 2011
AOS and IV invoices fees pay on February 14th, 2011
AOS and IV Documents requested by the NVC on February 15th, 2011
AOS and IV Documents sent to the NVC on February 28th, 2011
Case closed on March 15th and Sent to US Consulate - VISA INTERVIEW ON MAY 4TH, 2011 AT 7:30AM
VISA DENIED FOR UNLAWFULL PRESENCE ONE YEAR OR MORE (QUALIFY FOR WAIVER)
Waiver of Inadmissibility filed on May 11th, 2011 in Yaounde, Cameroon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.