Tater&Bugger

Having a Baby in the US before receiving Visa

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

I have a question. My 2 year old USC daughter and I just got to AZ to stay with my husband to wait out winter until our IR-1 Visa gets approved (suspected to be around August). We started the process last June and haven't spent anytime out of Canada until now so we could be here a few months.

I am currently pregnant and due in June. The plan was for DD and I to go back to Canada in May and have the baby in June, report baby's birth to the consultate, get passport etc and then return afterwards depending on when we get our Visa. My first labor was "quick" for a first time mom and midwife thinks it'll be a bit quicker this time so we have concerns USC DH won't make it to the birth. I'm not pleased with the local birth center back home and can't have a home birth because I'll be staying with family, so overall it's not ideal. We have travel insurance and I will be seeing my old midwife while visiting in the US (I used to be a legal resident after having the fiancé Visa and we had made plans to move back to Canada which didn't work out, but I had to surrender my card so we're doing it all over again!). My husband's health insurance through his employer is PHENOMENAL here and today they just confirmed my daughter and I can have full coverage too, we just need to be removed when we go back to Canada, and can be re-added when we return.

My question is, I would want nothing more than to have our baby at "home" here in Scottsdale. I know the financial part will be covered but do not know how it would interfere with my Visa. I don't want to pull any tricks but can't seem to find anything on the subject. We received out NOA2 back on Dec 15 but haven't gotten ANYTHING from NVC since. I've emailed them a week ago but no response (will be again today).

Anyone have experience with this that can lend some advice, or know where I can get more information?

Thank you!

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

i don't have any experience in this but wanted to say congrats on your babies ! seems like it hasn't been that long since we were all going through the k1 ^_^

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.