kellbell

Green card not received, USPS Tracking says it was delivered.

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've read many other entries here regarding this subject, but all are older posts about green cards not being received. The USPS tracking info says the card was delivered Dec. 26th, 2014, but it was not. After making calls (post office, USCIS) I was told I need to file form I90 and pay $450 to get a replacement card because the records at the USCIS show that it was delivered. We received nothing: no "welcome letter", no green card, and no SS card (checked the box on the DS-260 to receive this). (By the way, is this welcome letter a brochure with generic information, or is this something important?) I did confirm that the green card was addressed correctly by the USCIS.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Do you know if there is a method for delivery that is more secure i.e registered mail, delivery with signature, etc. I don't want to pay $450 (on top of all the other fees we've paid) just to have this happen once more.

I have yet to call the SS admin ... fun. I have no idea what surprises await me there ;-)

Thanks for any feedback!

Hi everyone,

I've read many other entries here regarding this subject, but all are older posts about green cards not being received. The USPS tracking info says the card was delivered Dec. 26th, 2014, but it was not. After making calls (post office, USCIS) I was told I need to file form I90 and pay $450 to get a replacement card because the records at the USCIS show that it was delivered. We received nothing: no "welcome letter", no green card, and no SS card (checked the box on the DS-260 to receive this). (By the way, is this welcome letter a brochure with generic information, or is this something important?) I did confirm that the green card was addressed correctly by the USCIS.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Do you know if there is a method for delivery that is more secure i.e registered mail, delivery with signature, etc. I don't want to pay $450 (on top of all the other fees we've paid) just to have this happen once more.

I have yet to call the SS admin ... fun. I have no idea what surprises await me there ;-)

Thanks for any feedback!

I am worried too because when i check the status of my GC it says that it was mailed to me on Jan. 25th and that day is a SUnday, until now I don't have my GC and no tracking number provided to me. I am so stress about this...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for any feedback!

You need to go to the local USPS and talk to a supervisor to have them track down where the letter was "delivered" to. If they cannot find it, I would ask them to provide you with a letter stating that it was misdelivered as their system shows that it was delivered. The USCIS will require you to pay the fee for this mistake. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the USCIS. They sent this without requiring a signature and then claim that the USPS system is accurate. I would rather they sent it via certified mail with a signature required. Even your passport is mailed back to you as priority mail with no signature. Why does the US governement treat such important documents in such a laise faire manner? At least now it is trackable. In the past they just sent it via first class mail so there was no way to know where it ended up--but the current method is not much better.

You must deal with the USPS if you want to either find the GC or get the I-90 fee waived. The only thing you can get from the USCIS is an I-551 stamp in your passport to hold you over until the GC arrives.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I did check with the local post office. That's a dead end...All the "official" records show it was delivered and to the correct address...

We do have the stamp in the passport ... I was hoping someone had gone through this same experience and could give me some expert advice on how to handle it from here.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I did check with the local post office. That's a dead end...All the "official" records show it was delivered and to the correct address...

We do have the stamp in the passport ... I was hoping someone had gone through this same experience and could give me some expert advice on how to handle it from here.

Check this thread http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/532000-green-card-missing%f0%9f%98%ad%f0%9f%98%ad%f0%9f%98/page-2#entry7432636

They were able to get the supervisor to help them. You might want to go up the ladder at the USPS, but unless the USPS either finds the card or admits to deliverying it to the wrong address, you will have to pay the replacement fee.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I had the same thing happen to me. The Post Office delivered the card to the wrong address and washed their hands of the matter even though it was addressed correctly. We ended up paying the replacement fee only to have the misdelivered green card finally bounce to us two months into the process. Unfortunately, USPS screwed up, and you get to deal with the consequences.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

• 2 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thanks for any feedback!

In the same boat as you. Received every correspondence from USCIS except for the welcome letter and green card. So frustrating...

Did you get assistance with how to proceed with this? What did you end up doing? I could use some advice...

Thanks.

Edited by gaia12

I am also In the same boat ..been here in USA since November ...paid up my immigration fee last December ...December 13, 2014 update that card produced ....that ...but I don't receive my GC.. I start calling USCIS since January they said that my GC was returned mail back to them as post office can't deliver to my address ...I claim that my address is correct ...I called USCIS today and they told me to wait for 3 months ...as its only now I respond to them...I told them I called for 4 months already how comes it happen only today it shows to the system I only called today....upon entering to america by IR- 1 visa ...do I need to file for biometric? Or does it have any procedure that we have missed? Im so confuse now ...no welcome note....I don't receive nothing from USCIS ....hope someone can advice me as what to do....

I am also In the same boat ..been here in USA since November ...paid up my immigration fee last December ...December 13, 2014 update that card produced ....that ...but I don't receive my GC.. I start calling USCIS since January they said that my GC was returned mail back to them as post office can't deliver to my address ...I claim that my address is correct ...I called USCIS today and they told me to wait for 3 months ...as its only now I respond to them...I told them I called for 4 months already how comes it happen only today it shows to the system I only called today....upon entering to america by IR- 1 visa ...do I need to file for biometric? Or does it have any procedure that we have missed? Im so confuse now ...no welcome note....I don't receive nothing from USCIS ....hope someone can advice me as what to do....

At least you have a stamp in your passport that is the GC--the CR-1 visa with the entry stamp makes it a GC. I would make an INFOpass appointment to talk to someone at the USCIS. While at the INFOpass appointment I would strongly insist that your GC be resent via certified mail with signature required for delivery-return receipt. That way the USPS has to have a signature to release the GC to you. So if they screw up there is no signature and the GC cannot claim to have been delivered--why the USCIS does not send the GC this method is beyond me. Why does the IRS insist that everybody that mails in a form use certified return receipt for their taxes? So you have proof that the USPS got the taxes into the IRS' mailbox and the little greencard is your proof. I really wish the USCIS would do the same for all mail they send out so we have a recourse and more importantly proof that the USPS did not get the mail delivered. <<Getting off of soapbox>>>

I would also make a trip to your local postoffice and submit the form that lists all persons that are to receive mail at your address. I would also put all names inside the mailbox too. My wife's SSC was returned as was her I-131 NOA1 because the mail carrier at our apartment complex did not recognize her name and did a return to sender--I found this out when I sent her an International Women's Day card with my work address as the return address and I received it at work.

Good luck in getting this resolved,

Dave

I already been to the locsl post office and did what u advice...I'm just worried as USCIS first update that they only hold my card until July 13...so I keep call them to follow up to resend it to my address...but the last person I talked was rudeqand told me to wait 3 months after April 17....that will be July 17 and told me my option is to file I-90..... Now I'm trying to get an info pass but my husband told me to wait until the date theytold me...I don't know what to do

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everybody!

My question will may sound ignorant, but.... How do you check your GC status?

Is it on the ELIS website?
Cause I got my visa and I paid the immigration fees one month ago but I didn't pay attention anymore cause I was too happy to have my visa and I'm still in my country, I'll move in the USA in july. Do I have to wait for POE for them to send it?

Thanks for your help! :)

Hi everybody!

My question will may sound ignorant, but.... How do you check your GC status?

Is it on the ELIS website?

Cause I got my visa and I paid the immigration fees one month ago but I didn't pay attention anymore cause I was too happy to have my visa and I'm still in my country, I'll move in the USA in july. Do I have to wait for POE for them to send it?

Thanks for your help! :)

Yes, it will be sent you are here.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

• 3 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thanks for any feedback!

Hii Kelbell,

I had a similar situation. I renewed my green card and USCIS says USPS delivered the card on 4/30 with this particular tracking number. When I check that number with USPS they say it does not exist and they have no record of it.

I have called both institutions and none recognize any errors on their part yet the information DOES NOT coincide and my green car is nowhere to be found. I Called UCIS again today and they simply tell to me declare the card lost and renew it again, and YES pat the fee once again.

Is there anything that can be done??

Aliciadel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.