SemperAye

balikbayan visa changed to student visa?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am an American born citizen married to a Filipina and we are both living here in the US. My wife is not yet a citizen, but we will be filing for that very soon before we make any new plans of moving overseas temporarily. I am also a Vet with an AS degree and plan on using my post 911-GI bill overseas in the Philippines transferring my credits so I can hopefully become a 3rd year student.

I understand that I can enter the Philippines for one year on a balikbayan visa, but obviously I would need to stay longer to obtain my BS degree. My question is if I can obtain or upgrade to a student visa while I'm in the Philippines, or if that is something that I must obtain before entering? Or is there another option such as simply extending my balikbayan visa, or do you have to have a student visa to even go to school in the Philippines as a foreigner?

Also I'm assuming that my wife would be able to stay with me while I attend school and not loose her us citizenship?

This is very confusing and I would appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

03/12/2010 - I-129F Mailed to Vermont

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

06/02/2010 - Email Received "Approved"! (that was fast)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am an American born citizen married to a Filipina and we are both living here in the US. My wife is not yet a citizen, but we will be filing for that very soon before we make any new plans of moving overseas temporarily. I am also a Vet with an AS degree and plan on using my post 911-GI bill overseas in the Philippines transferring my credits so I can hopefully become a 3rd year student.

I understand that I can enter the Philippines for one year on a balikbayan visa, but obviously I would need to stay longer to obtain my BS degree. My question is if I can obtain or upgrade to a student visa while I'm in the Philippines, or if that is something that I must obtain before entering? Or is there another option such as simply extending my balikbayan visa, or do you have to have a student visa to even go to school in the Philippines as a foreigner?

Also I'm assuming that my wife would be able to stay with me while I attend school and not loose her us citizenship?

This is very confusing and I would appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

One day before the end of the year you and your asawa fly to HK, Singapore... or where ever, then fly back to the Philippines, get another Balikbayan stamp and you are good for another year. ;)

Once your asawa is an American citizen there is no restriction on how long she can be out of the USA.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

One day before the end of the year you and your asawa fly to HK, Singapore... or where ever, then fly back to the Philippines, get another Balikbayan stamp and you are good for another year. ;)

Once your asawa is an American citizen there is no restriction on how long she can be out of the USA.

Kool... Do you have any idea if I can attend school on a balikbayan visa though?

I found this from Cebu Doctors University:

1. CDU entrance exam result
  2. Birth certificate authenticated by the Philippine Service Post (Phil. Embassy or Consulate)
  3. Certificate of good moral character or letter of reference/recommendation from two former professors from the school last attended.
  4. Diploma or certificate of graduation (for new High School graduates, Medicine and Graduate School applicants only)
  5. National Medical Admission Test (NMAT) result (for Medicine applicants only)
  6. Proof of adequate financial support (affidavit of support) to be notarized by a lawyer in the country of origin to cover expenses for the student's accomodation and subsistence during the student's stay in the Philippines (include Bank Statement) duly authenticated by the Phil. Foreign Service Post (Phil. Embassy or Consulate)
  7. Scholastic records (Transcript of Records) duly authenticated by the Philippines Service Post (Phil. Embassy or Consulate) located in the student's country of origin or legal residence. The transcript should state the degree earned if the student has graduated or a proof of completion of a pre-university requirement in the country of origin.
  8. Police clearance certificate issued by the National Police Authorities in the student's country of origin or legal residence duly authenticated by the Philippines Service Post (Phil. Embassy or Consulate) having consular jurisdiction over the place.
  9. Photocopy of the passport page containing the applicant's photo and the page containing the date and stamp of the latest arrival in the Philippines (to be done upon arrival in the Philippines). Original passport will be presented for verification.
  10. Quarantine medical clearance (to be done in the Bureau of Quarantine upon arrival in the Philippines)
  11. National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) clearance (to be done upon arrival in the Philippines)
  12. Student's personal history of statement (PHS) (to be accomplished at CDU). Forms are available at the Philippine Embassy or Consulate Office of the applicant's country of origin or at the CDU Foreign Student Service Section.
  13. Colored identification pictures taken within the last three (3) months (5 copies 2"x2" and 2 copies 1"x1")

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

No you can't attend on a Balikbayan Visa.

I was in your situation once.

When I flew into Manila in '01 to start med school, I entered on a Balikbayan Visa (born here in the PHL, parents naturalized before I was 18, years before I became a Dual citizen). However, once I was enrolled, the people at the registrar's office directed me to the department that handled these types of things. Apparently at CDU, there's a "CDU Foreign Student Service Section." The people at UST, just had me go to the Bureau of Quarantine and fill out a bunch of forms and a few days later, when I came back my Balikbayan Visa was upgraded to a student visa, I even had an ACR and everything.

Please note that as a student, I had to renew my visa every semester and everytime I was leaving the country, I had to go to the registrar so that I'd get an "ERC" or "SRC"(?) I can't remember now. Basically it was clearance for me to leave and come back so that at Immigration on my return, I'd be marked as a returning student.

You're likely not the first foreigner to study at CDU if they have a special section to help you out. Don't sweat too much, since once you're enrolled, CDU will take care of you. Just don't go the "studying on a Balikbayan visa" route since technically that's illegal; like someone coming to the States on a tourist visa, you might get away with it if the school isn't strict. But considering that there's a Foreign Student Section, they likely won't let you do that.

Also, note that things are probably even quicker and easier now than it was when I was studying. Now everything's electronic and biometric with the ACR-i card. I had the old paper based and inked fingerprint system.

Also, every foreign student in my class went the same route. No one had a student visa before entering the PHL or prior to enrolling. Everyone converted in-country.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Timeline

No you can't attend on a Balikbayan Visa.

I was in your situation once.

When I flew into Manila in '01 to start med school, I entered on a Balikbayan Visa (born here in the PHL, parents naturalized before I was 18, years before I became a Dual citizen). However, once I was enrolled, the people at the registrar's office directed me to the department that handled these types of things. Apparently at CDU, there's a "CDU Foreign Student Service Section." The people at UST, just had me go to the Bureau of Quarantine and fill out a bunch of forms and a few days later, when I came back my Balikbayan Visa was upgraded to a student visa, I even had an ACR and everything.

Please note that as a student, I had to renew my visa every semester and everytime I was leaving the country, I had to go to the registrar so that I'd get an "ERC" or "SRC"(?) I can't remember now. Basically it was clearance for me to leave and come back so that at Immigration on my return, I'd be marked as a returning student.

You're likely not the first foreigner to study at CDU if they have a special section to help you out. Don't sweat too much, since once you're enrolled, CDU will take care of you. Just don't go the "studying on a Balikbayan visa" route since technically that's illegal; like someone coming to the States on a tourist visa, you might get away with it if the school isn't strict. But considering that there's a Foreign Student Section, they likely won't let you do that.

Also, note that things are probably even quicker and easier now than it was when I was studying. Now everything's electronic and biometric with the ACR-i card. I had the old paper based and inked fingerprint system.

Also, every foreign student in my class went the same route. No one had a student visa before entering the PHL or prior to enrolling. Everyone converted in-country.

Wow I couldn't have asked for a better response...I know how long it takes to write what you did so thank you! I hope this helps someone else as well.

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

No problem at all. Considering I have personal experience in this situation, I figured it'd be helpful if I did respond. If you have any other/further questions just post again here or send me a message.

Cheers.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.