london2014

Urgent - Adding spouse to List as US Embassy London

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does anyone know how to get your spouse added to the list to attend? We just completed the registration online with our appt this Thursday and to have the doc's delivered to our house. I did not see anywhere on there where is asks to add the spouse to attend the interview. Please help.

I-130/IR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London:
8th Nov 2005 - Married in USA

16th Mar 2006 - Moved to London

22nd Feb 2008 - Received ILR
11th Apr 2014 - I-130 filed

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

30th May 2014 - Packet 3 received with LND #

(Intentionally delaying a bit due to work commitments)

This is the contact form http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/visa_contact_form.html. There is a place to tick request the spouse attend interview.

The embassy is closed Monday and sometimes take several days to respond.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Do you mean your US citizen spouse?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

This is the contact form http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/visa_contact_form.html. There is a place to tick request the spouse attend interview.

The embassy is closed Monday and sometimes take several days to respond.

#######! I thought that this would be on the online form that we just completed confirming the appointment and where the doc's should be returned. I am seriously going to kill my husband. He was sure he went online and completed this and lo and behold he didnt! I hope this won't cause an issue as our appt is this Thursday! :clock::angry: :angry:

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

Timeline

Do you mean your US citizen spouse?

No I am the US citizen and he is British. It's my fault as I should have just done it myself and MADE sure it was done. Our appt is this Thursday and I am hoping I'm on the list. I just received the contact details and emailed them but I think it might be too late.

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

#######! I thought that this would be on the online form that we just completed confirming the appointment and where the doc's should be returned. I am seriously going to kill my husband. He was sure he went online and completed this and lo and behold he didnt! I hope this won't cause an issue as our appt is this Thursday! :clock::angry: :angry:

He would have no reason to know about this contact form or use it. There is nothing in his procedure that I know of where he would have a chance to list you. Maybe in some of the communications and instructions there is info on if you need a personal assistant or interpreter, which he doesn't. Spouses don't routinely attend London interviews. If either of you wanted to contact the embassy and ask if it was possible, there is a "contact us" area on their website where a drill down finally gets you to the actual form.

If you don't get an email confirmation, then take your US passport and try to beg your way in. One of the guys last year was refused, but when his fiancé got inside and asked again, they called the guards and said to admit her fiancé. So if your husband is willing to go that far to ask again inside, then hang close so he can get your attention. At least mobile phones are now allowed inside.

I talked my way in, but that was 2008. I told the guard at the head of the line just before the security booth "I'm an American, this is my passport, and I would like to go inside the embassy with my fiancé."

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to UK regional forum; topic is country specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

He would have no reason to know about this contact form or use it. There is nothing in his procedure that I know of where he would have a chance to list you. Maybe in some of the communications and instructions there is info on if you need a personal assistant or interpreter, which he doesn't. Spouses don't routinely attend London interviews. If either of you wanted to contact the embassy and ask if it was possible, there is a "contact us" area on their website where a drill down finally gets you to the actual form.

If you don't get an email confirmation, then take your US passport and try to beg your way in. One of the guys last year was refused, but when his fiancé got inside and asked again, they called the guards and said to admit her fiancé. So if your husband is willing to go that far to ask again inside, then hang close so he can get your attention. At least mobile phones are now allowed inside.

I talked my way in, but that was 2008. I told the guard at the head of the line just before the security booth "I'm an American, this is my passport, and I would like to go inside the embassy with my fiancé."

I really hope the let me in. My sister is the sponsor and the only reason I am using her is that the only ties I have left in the US is my Drivers license and small bank account. Where it gets complicated is that I had to do the I-864A for her husband as I was told as shes married they might want it. Due to that I know have 3 yrs of tax returns for them AND his company as they are all tied together.

I have my official settlement agreement reflecting that I more have more than enough to meet their criteria for me supporting us (signed by HR and my solicitor) along with my 3 yrs of tax returns. The amount of paper is incredible and I know more about what I put together for that lot then he does.

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

I really hope the let me in. My sister is the sponsor and the only reason I am using her is that the only ties I have left in the US is my Drivers license and small bank account. Where it gets complicated is that I had to do the I-864A for her husband as I was told as shes married they might want it. Due to that I know have 3 yrs of tax returns for them AND his company as they are all tied together.

I have my official settlement agreement reflecting that I more have more than enough to meet their criteria for me supporting us (signed by HR and my solicitor) along with my 3 yrs of tax returns. The amount of paper is incredible and I know more about what I put together for that lot then he does.

If you have $60,000 to show in cash then they probably don't even care about the rest. It's probably not going to be as difficult as you are envisioning.

As far as the joint sponsor, they want to see Line 22 of the 1040 shows enough to support. If a joint return, then I-864a would be appropriate so her income plus his are pooled together for consideration. Line 22 of their 1040 does not indicate who earned what portion so she needs to clearly show her own income with documentation or include his income on her form and he signs I-864A.

I don't think his business tax return is necessary. A business can not sponsor in your case. It has to be income shown on the personal 1040.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

If you have $60,000 to show in cash then they probably don't even care about the rest. It's probably not going to be as difficult as you are envisioning.

As far as the joint sponsor, they want to see Line 22 of the 1040 shows enough to support. If a joint return, then I-864a would be appropriate so her income plus his are pooled together for consideration. Line 22 of their 1040 does not indicate who earned what portion so she needs to clearly show her own income with documentation or include his income on her form and he signs I-864A.

I don't think his business tax return is necessary. A business can not sponsor in your case. It has to be income shown on the personal 1040.

The issue with the $60,000 is the fact that the payout date is in 30 days time. I have the settlement agreement giving the breakdown and when it will be paid signed off by HR and also myself and my solicitor. As their tax return is tied to the company I've had to include all the schedules. Even if they are okay with the fact that the payout wont be until 60 days as I dont have the US residency bit I have had my sister sponsor him with me as the petitioner. Thoughts? I also just read that the Embassy doesnt require copies but I am too afarid to not bring them and they are all packaged up and ready to go.

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

The issue with the $60,000 is the fact that the payout date is in 30 days time. I have the settlement agreement giving the breakdown and when it will be paid signed off by HR and also myself and my solicitor. As their tax return is tied to the company I've had to include all the schedules. Even if they are okay with the fact that the payout wont be until 60 days as I dont have the US residency bit I have had my sister sponsor him with me as the petitioner. Thoughts? I also just read that the Embassy doesnt require copies but I am too afarid to not bring them and they are all packaged up and ready to go.

Yes, self employed have schedules like C and SE included as part of their personal tax returns, but the deciding amount is still Line 22 on the 1040. I thought you meant a business tax return like "XYZ Inc."

Intent to domicile is as good as having domicile. Did you read the I-864 FAQs on the London website?

Click all the topics, especially Domicile. http://london.usembassy.gov/faqs-i864.html. The fact that you have terminated your job or given notice, or listed your UK property for sale, or given written notice on a lease is evidence of intent.

Yes, people have said they don't want copies of documents anymore and give back the originals, but I would hate to have them accidentally keep something I hadn't copied first.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Yes, self employed have schedules like C and SE included as part of their personal tax returns, but the deciding amount is still Line 22 on the 1040. I thought you meant a business tax return like "XYZ Inc."

Intent to domicile is as good as having domicile. Did you read the I-864 FAQs on the London website?

Click all the topics, especially Domicile. http://london.usembassy.gov/faqs-i864.html. The fact that you have terminated your job or given notice, or listed your UK property for sale, or given written notice on a lease is evidence of intent.

Yes, people have said they don't want copies of documents anymore and give back the originals, but I would hate to have them accidentally keep something I hadn't copied first.

If this were you would you do another I-864 with yourself as the sponsor and keep it on hand in case they will allow me to be the sponsor. I really only had my sister fill one out due to the residency issue. If they accept the fact I am moving back and will have no job in a week, and also the fact that I will have more than enough in my account in less than 30 days time I think it would be much easier. What would you do?

Thanks again for your help.

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

If this were you would you do another I-864 with yourself as the sponsor and keep it on hand in case they will allow me to be the sponsor. I really only had my sister fill one out due to the residency issue. If they accept the fact I am moving back and will have no job in a week, and also the fact that I will have more than enough in my account in less than 30 days time I think it would be much easier. What would you do?

Thanks again for your help.

You as the petitioner are REQUIRED to do an I-864 even with zero money, so get on it! You are the primary sponsor. It's all in the instructions of the I-864.

The whole point of domicile is wrapped in the requirement stated in the immigration law.

You must be primary sponsor as spouse.

A sponsor must be a USA domiciled person (citizen or permanent resident).

Therefore in order to sponsor you must be domiciled in the US.

That doesn't work so well for folks living abroad with their spouse. So they explain ways to show you never gave up domicile and were abroad temporarily...US driver license, US bank accounts, voter registration, etc, etc.

AND furthermore, just showing you INTEND to reestablish domicile is a workaround to cover the domicile. Suggestions are in the domicile link I gave you.

Since you haven't read the I-864 instructions, you may have missed the joint sponsor requirements. You need documentation showing they are US domiciled...US birth certificate, US passport, greencard.

When you first get called up to a window at the embassy, the person is a clerical worker collecting documents you bring. I would hand over only your I-864, proof of settlement, US tax return and anything to do with domicile. Clamp it all together so hubby gets it right. They know what they are looking at and need no play-by-play of each sheet of paper. That person has no authority to make a decision so no need to explain your life to them.

When he is called back to a window a second time, that is the interview with the consulate officer. If the officer says what he has been handed isn't sufficient, then hubby can say "I have a joint sponsor lined up" and pull out the other I-864 packet to hand over.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

You as the petitioner are REQUIRED to do an I-864 even with zero money, so get on it! You are the primary sponsor. It's all in the instructions of the I-864.

The whole point of domicile is wrapped in the requirement stated in the immigration law.

That doesn't work so well for folks living abroad with their spouse. So they explain ways to show you never gave up domicile and were abroad temporarily...US driver license, US bank accounts, voter registration, etc, etc.

AND furthermore, just showing you INTEND to reestablish domicile is a workaround to cover the domicile. Suggestions are in the domicile link I gave you.

Since you haven't read the I-864 instructions, you may have missed the joint sponsor requirements. You need documentation showing they are US domiciled...US birth certificate, US passport, greencard.

When you first get called up to a window at the embassy, the person is a clerical worker collecting documents you bring. I would hand over only your I-864, proof of settlement, US tax return and anything to do with domicile. Clamp it all together so hubby gets it right. They know what they are looking at and need no play-by-play of each sheet of paper. That person has no authority to make a decision so no need to explain your life to them.

When he is called back to a window a second time, that is the interview with the consulate officer. If the officer says what he has been handed isn't sufficient, then hubby can say "I have a joint sponsor lined up" and pull out the other I-864 packet to hand over.

I have already completed one and was just asking if you thought they may except it on the basis of me moving back with the current backup. I will clip all of my stuff together for him to hand over at the window. As you said he can keep the I-864 and I-864A my sister & her husband completed along with their taxes, marriage cert & birth certs etc just in case they wont accept mine.

I still have my Florida drivers license which doesnt expire until 2017, voters registration card & bank statement all with my moms address. I just wasnt sure if they classified any of that towards the domicile part as its my moms address.

Edited by london2014

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

Timeline

Well the day is here and everything is packed and ready. Thanks again for all your help - fingers crossed. We did get an email from them the next day saying they would add me to the list. I will let you guys know what the outcome is. What a stressful experience. Thank you again!

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.