Henia

ME/NA Wedding dress Thread

197 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
photo-salimariage-36.jpg

Oh I'd love that one without the headpiece and minus most of the jewlery!

I think if you could incorporate a giant plastic belt that would be amazing. :lol:

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just had to add....I saw this thread has 12 pages and figured they couldn't all be about dresses. LOL I just read it, how did I miss that? :lol:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
photo-salimariage-36.jpg

I think if you could incorporate a giant plastic belt that would be amazing. :lol:

LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

Just had to add....I saw this thread has 12 pages and figured they couldn't all be about dresses. LOL I just read it, how did I miss that? :lol:

Ye would look like it huh? Started to get sticky there but it got back on Topic...:lolL

Timeline
photo-salimariage-36.jpg

Ye would look like it huh? Started to get sticky there but it got back on Topic...:lolL

Thanks God!

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline
photo-salimariage-36.jpg

Thanks God!

True that.... anyone have any pics? Jp you have any traditional Jordanian gowns? or customs?

Edited by Henia

Timeline
photo-salimariage-36.jpg

Thanks God!

True that.... anyone have any pics? Jp you have any traditional Jordanian gowns? or customs?

There aren't really any traditional gowns unless you are a bedouin, but that doesnt really include all Jordanians. Woman wear regular wedding dresses nowadays unless you are a bedouin in the desert which is very rare now.

Customs.....yes let me post something I found about the wedding jaha.

This is true and still goes on all over Jordan today, happened to me when I got engaged too!

Source

One of the cornerstones of Jordanian society and culture, a ?Jaha? ( J as in Judge), is broadly a word that means ?a congress of important men?. The word itself developed significant connotations within the social norms of Jordan, now it has several important functions in weddings, times of trouble between two families or tribes, and more generally, social gatherings.

In this entry I will only talk about the role of a Jaha in weddings. Seeing as the form of our Jordanian society is essentially and deeply tribal, Jaha holds a certain number, preferably large, of men that enjoy a particular importance in their tribes. Those include the Sheikh, or head, of the tribe, and mostly old men of power.

Before a wedding takes place, there are fixed steps that need to be followed to ensure things go in harmony with traditions and customs. The women of the groom?s and the bride?s families arrange the details of the engagement, and then the Jaha plays its role in making the off-scene arrangements official and public.

It is the duty of the bride?s family to receive the Jaha of the groom?s family or tribe. The Jaha is headed by the most influential man available in the tribe or at that time, and it proceeds to the location of the bride?s family. Once the men are seated, it is customary of the bride?s family to offer them, as part of the rites of hospitality, Arabic coffee served in little traditional cups. What happens next is most interesting: the leaders of the Jaha takes his cup but puts it down without drinking it, to signal that something is the matter.

Then the leader speaks up and address the bride?s family, who would be presented by similar men of importance of the bride?s relatives, and tells them that the Jaha will not accept their hospitality unless their demand is met. This is of course a clich it is a traditional play staged with utmost seriousness and handled very carefully. On the other side, the head of the bride?s family asks what the Jaha?s demand is, and the leader of the Jaha announces that they have come to ask for the hand of a certain girl, and he names her, for a certain man.

The symbol of the bride?s tribe naturally consents and asks the Jaha to proceed to drinking their coffee, to mark mutual agreement. After this beautiful action and reaction, the modern Jaha is offered Arabic sweets, mainly Knafeh, and chocolates and other delights.

I should also add that, the larger the tribe of the groom, the larger the Jaha would normally be. The number of men contained in the Jaha is crucial, if it?s handsome this means the groom?s tribe is more powerful. The Jaha is usually treated to a wholesome lunch before heading to the bride?s tribe?s premises, and this lunch features the traditional Jordanian dish ?Mansaf?. I will post a picture of Mansaf in tomorrow?s entry, hopefully.

It is fascinating to see the integration of old customs in today?s modern life in Jordan. I have never heard of a wedding that was settled without a Jaha, despite the obvious fake-like duty it has. It still connects the old with the new, and recalls to minds the traditions and culture of this great country.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
This is a very nice and informative thread … and … the dresses are beautiful. Can't wait to see and learn more.

:D Thanks, it does seem like I am only one keeping it going, but it's ok. I just love these dresses and want to share. Glad to see someone likes it too :star:

BTW Natty: your avatar is too cute :lol:

foottap.gif some of us are awaiting the next posts of dresses by you.

Bineg sarcastic are we Charles?

no, just impatient :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
This is a very nice and informative thread … and … the dresses are beautiful. Can't wait to see and learn more.

:D Thanks, it does seem like I am only one keeping it going, but it's ok. I just love these dresses and want to share. Glad to see someone likes it too :star:

BTW Natty: your avatar is too cute :lol:

foottap.gif some of us are awaiting the next posts of dresses by you.

Bineg sarcastic are we Charles?

no, just impatient :P

:lol: ah ok ...well I am all out...next person post, if they have any.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
gal01.jpg

Tlemcem

My cat would have a field day with all that white stringy stuff hangin off the head! :blink:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.