Mandolin_68

So What Do YOU Do????

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline
Well my current JOB is working at a hotel, but I am a graduate student in Bioarchaeology (human remains in archaeology which is a subfield of biological anthropology! yay! For anthropology!). I specialize in the Middle East, North Africa, and Western Europe through the Middle Ages... which is how I met my Dh since he's at Yarmouk University and does the same thing. We worked on a site together.

whatthehell.jpg

I know what I saw in him, but I;m not sure what he saw in me :) LOL! Except he is secretly crazy too :) Anyway, this year I was teaching the field school for the university and many people fell under my.. ummm. guidance.

VAB.jpg

But mostly? It's a lot of paperwork.

13ea.jpg

Both years I worked in Jordan we excavated tombs from the Bronze era through the Byzantine. Tombs are robbed mostly (99.9%) and we're studying the remains we can find and the archetecture. Jordan of course keeps everything. We are trying to beat the looters, but it's impossible. Most of their stuff is sold on ebay actually, and it's extremely illegal and harmful to the cultural heritage.

I take back what i said in a previous post. If i can imagine myself doing something else it would be your job and only if i can work in jordan all the time. :) When we were in Jerash we had all these little kids coming up to us wanting us to buy these old roman coins. Of course we didn't but just to hold them and look at them in your hands knowing you were holding something over a 1000 years old was surreal.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

LOL! Yeah those kids! I have perfected the look away and stern "lah shukran" and they don't bother me. If my husband is there, they leave us alone in general. They are cute though! My husband worked in Jerash this summer and I was so jealous! Jordan University was having a dig there and he worked on their faunal and human remains.

You could always volunteer! I know my school takes volunteers and it's like only $55/day plus your plane tickets and spending money.

I take back what i said in a previous post. If i can imagine myself doing something else it would be your job and only if i can work in jordan all the time. :) When we were in Jerash we had all these little kids coming up to us wanting us to buy these old roman coins. Of course we didn't but just to hold them and look at them in your hands knowing you were holding something over a 1000 years old was surreal.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am an office manager/medical biller for a chiropractor. I am waiting for Jean and you other recovery people to call and ask for money back! :lol: I am also currently working on an LPN refresher course. Hope to finish by June and start working right away.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Wow very interesting thread. I'm a 1st year medical student...so basically I am just studying all day - It is as boring as it sounds. They don't let us near actual patients until the 3rd year <_<

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

Wow very interesting thread. I'm a 1st year medical student...so basically I am just studying all day - It is as boring as it sounds. They don't let us near actual patients until the 3rd year <_<

Well that was me four years ago and now I'm missing the time I actually got to study because now I spend all my time doing scut work (drawing blood, filling out forms, putting in IVs, making sure stuff gets to the lab, running to the pharmacy for medications, calling security on my patients who smoke in the bathroom, etc). Now I'm an intern in Family Medicine, which is a specialty in general medicine. I see babies, kids, teens, adults, prenatal patients, and I even do deliveries! Definitely the coolest thing *ever* to first meet a baby when they're -30 weeks old, and then follow them until they're born and then after for their whole life until they have babies too and start to grow old :yes: So that makes a lot of the other stuff worthwhile.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline
LOL! Yeah those kids! I have perfected the look away and stern "lah shukran" and they don't bother me. If my husband is there, they leave us alone in general. They are cute though! My husband worked in Jerash this summer and I was so jealous! Jordan University was having a dig there and he worked on their faunal and human remains.

You could always volunteer! I know my school takes volunteers and it's like only $55/day plus your plane tickets and spending money.

That sounds like a good job! I wonder if they still do that one trick in Jerash. It involves a swaying column..hehehe. I had this one cute chubby kid with cowboy boots asking me if I wanted to see something "Hey lady do you wanna see something wonderful" for 5 dinars I'll show you..heheheh We didn't have to pay but he showed us anyways. He stuck like this knife in a crack and pushed it and it did seem like the column moved. I miss Jordan I could stay all day at Jerash and Um Qays.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Well not really! I mean you pay to do it :)

Oh! That's actually not a trick! the colums really do move. They are on a pivoting center which prevents them from falling in the high winds and earthquakes! Now they do a similar thing of putting foundations on rolling pylons in places like California for the same reasons! Wow 5JD? I need that kid's job!

That sounds like a good job! I wonder if they still do that one trick in Jerash. It involves a swaying column..hehehe. I had this one cute chubby kid with cowboy boots asking me if I wanted to see something "Hey lady do you wanna see something wonderful" for 5 dinars I'll show you..heheheh We didn't have to pay but he showed us anyways. He stuck like this knife in a crack and pushed it and it did seem like the column moved. I miss Jordan I could stay all day at Jerash and Um Qays.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Kerewin21 - Yeah I know I'll probably be missing these days...it just gets so tedious sometimes...plus when I think about how much longer I have to go...

Family Medicine sounds great - my mentor is in Family Medicine and always talking to us about it. It so important for people to develop good relationship with their doctors throughout their lives. Its a 3 year residency right?

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

for whoever asked, TCF use to stand for Twin Cities Financial, but when they got bought out , it simply went to

The Customer First!

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm the USC engaged to a Brazilian but I liked this thread, especially reading about the anthropologists ;)

My degree is in (Cultural) Anthropology and Spanish and I'm a middle school teacher - currently 7th and 8th grade. I've taught English, Social Studies, ESOL, Math, and Science to students ages 5 to 58. Now I'm just teaching English/SS to middle schoolers and I love it - especially because I get to teach grammar, how to write, and Latin American studies (my specialty). I met my fiance while teaching English in Brazil so I think it's great :luv: .

I worked as an archaeologist in Peru (check out National Geographic June 2002) and am happy to see pictures and hear stories.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Kerewin21 - Yeah I know I'll probably be missing these days...it just gets so tedious sometimes...plus when I think about how much longer I have to go...

Family Medicine sounds great - my mentor is in Family Medicine and always talking to us about it. It so important for people to develop good relationship with their doctors throughout their lives. Its a 3 year residency right?

Ya know....I probably work for the same company if you guys are in boston ;) lol

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My trade and went to school for aircraft maintenance. I always wanted to be a pilot but I can't get a 1st class medical. So I told myself that if I cant fly them, lets fix them :lol:

I did that for 8 years but now it is so unstable and so unpredicable..I got out..I will go back thinking now

I now work as a comm. tech in the cable industry.

I am looking to leave that also and get into computer networking

Yogi

my husband went to yarmouk university too :)

I agree that If I had the choice of any job, I think it would be yours....

UMM QAIS...MY MOST FAVORITE PLACE IN JORDAN!!! I told Noor that Umm Qais is the first place we have to visit when we go back!!!!!!!!!!

The pillar thing was cool...the boy that chose us put a rock and a key in the pillar. (we didn't have to pay him either).....way cool

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.