PaulineA

Does anyone know of a good immigrations lawyer?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Hi Pauline,

Good luck on your immigration journey! Yes, I think that it is a good idea to hire a lawyer, regardless of the situation, as you never know what might happen during the immigration process.

For me, I did hire a lawyer for my situation, and I know it definately helped. If you need a recommendation for a good immigration lawyer her in NYS, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to give you more info about the lawyer we hired (located in NYS too, an extra bonus for you, since you are in Rome, NY).

Ant

I'm looking for a immigrations lawyer in Upstate New York. In the city of Rome NY preferably. If not as close as possible to Rome NY. Does anyone know of one and can give me details? Thanks.

Hi Ant,

I found an immigrations lawyer in Fayetteville, NYS, his name is Creg Nichols. I don't know if anyone knows of him, or knows if he's any good or not. I had a talk with him on the phone the other day. My consultation with him is on Wednesday, hopefully he will have recieved all my paperwork by then. $150 for an hours consultation. He says he charges 2 and a quarter per hour. Does that mean he charges $250 an hour? Most of my paperwork has been processed already, so I don't think it should take too long for him to sort out the situation. Here's hoping anyway. I can do it all over the phone which is good. I probably should have hired a lawyer in the first place, maybe I would have had my green card by now, because it's been nearly two years since I applied for a visa. I should have applied for a green card though, not a visa, as I stated in my earlier post. I hope he will be able to sort things out for me.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline
Hi Pauline,

Good luck on your immigration journey! Yes, I think that it is a good idea to hire a lawyer, regardless of the situation, as you never know what might happen during the immigration process.

For me, I did hire a lawyer for my situation, and I know it definately helped. If you need a recommendation for a good immigration lawyer her in NYS, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to give you more info about the lawyer we hired (located in NYS too, an extra bonus for you, since you are in Rome, NY).

Ant

I'm looking for a immigrations lawyer in Upstate New York. In the city of Rome NY preferably. If not as close as possible to Rome NY. Does anyone know of one and can give me details? Thanks.

Hi Ant,

I found an immigrations lawyer in Fayetteville, NYS, his name is Creg Nichols. I don't know if anyone knows of him, or knows if he's any good or not. I had a talk with him on the phone the other day. My consultation with him is on Wednesday, hopefully he will have recieved all my paperwork by then. $150 for an hours consultation. He says he charges 2 and a quarter per hour. Does that mean he charges $250 an hour? Most of my paperwork has been processed already, so I don't think it should take too long for him to sort out the situation. Here's hoping anyway. I can do it all over the phone which is good. I probably should have hired a lawyer in the first place, maybe I would have had my green card by now, because it's been nearly two years since I applied for a visa. I should have applied for a green card though, not a visa, as I stated in my earlier post. I hope he will be able to sort things out for me.

That's a lot to pay for a consultation when you could find out everything you need on Wednesday for free... :wacko:

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Timeline
Hi Pauline,

Ant

Hi Ant,

That's a lot to pay for a consultation when you could find out everything you need on Wednesday for free... :wacko:

[color=#800080]AOS

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Timeline
Hi Pauline,

Ant

Hi Ant,

The $150 is for the consultation on wednesday, I probably wasn't clear on that, sorry. He said I get it refunded somehow if I get him to take my case on though. I think $250 and hour is expensive though, or maybe just standard with immigrations lawyers, I don't know because I never had to deal with them before.

[color=#800080]AOS

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Pauline,

That's good that you found an immigration laywer for your case. Regardless, as long as you are happy with the work that your lawyer does, then that's ok. Some lawyers do charge for consultation, but some don't, and some charge more than others. From my experience with initial consulations with other immigration lawyers, $150 is a reasonable fee for a consulation. It helps too that your work has been processed. And if the lawyer is good, they should be figure out how to work through it and figure out the best for your particular situation.

I can't tell you about Creg Nichols though, as I have not worked with him and I do not know if he is any good or not. However, I can tell you from my experience that James Eiss charged us a flat fee for our case entire case. Feel free to PM me if you need more information about my immigration lawyer experience, or for any other immigration related stuff. I'm no expert though, but I can answer as honestly as I can as a person going through the immigration process too.

Ant

Hi Ant,

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline
Hi Pauline,

Ant

Hi Ant,

The $150 is for the consultation on wednesday, I probably wasn't clear on that, sorry. He said I get it refunded somehow if I get him to take my case on though. I think $250 and hour is expensive though, or maybe just standard with immigrations lawyers, I don't know because I never had to deal with them before.

What I was referring to with Wednesday was that Laurel's free chat is on Wednesday. You would probably be able to get all the info you needed without a consultation from her chat, and even if you wanted to do a consultation, hers is much cheaper than $150. www.visacentral.net 11 am Central time. Hope to see you there.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Timeline
Hi Pauline,

That's good that you found an immigration laywer for your case. Regardless, as long as you are happy with the work that your lawyer does, then that's ok. Some lawyers do charge for consultation, but some don't, and some charge more than others. From my experience with initial consulations with other immigration lawyers, $150 is a reasonable fee for a consulation. It helps too that your work has been processed. And if the lawyer is good, they should be figure out how to work through it and figure out the best for your particular situation.

I can't tell you about Creg Nichols though, as I have not worked with him and I do not know if he is any good or not. However, I can tell you from my experience that James Eiss charged us a flat fee for our case entire case. Feel free to PM me if you need more information about my immigration lawyer experience, or for any other immigration related stuff. I'm no expert though, but I can answer as honestly as I can as a person going through the immigration process too.

Ant

Hi Ant,

Thanks for the information. I'm sure I will need more help with something else somewhere along the process. I'm glad I can ask you, and other people on these message boards for advice, it helps a lot.
Hi Pauline,

Ant

Hi Ant,

What I was referring to with Wednesday was that Laurel's free chat is on Wednesday. You would probably be able to get all the info you needed without a consultation from her chat, and even if you wanted to do a consultation, hers is much cheaper than $150. www.visacentral.net 11 am Central time. Hope to see you there.

oh right, I wasn't thinking you meant Laurel. It would probably be worth my while to go to her discussion, thanks for letting me know about that.

[color=#800080]AOS

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007