Captain Ewok

New proposed CIS filing fees to increase total immigration costs up to $1,040 for K-1 applicants

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Does anyone know if there will be possibilities of financial aid for low-income folks? Like many posting to this thread have mentioned, immigration is a privilege, not a right. (Although I would argue that being able to marry the person you fall in love with is part of the "pursuit of happiness.") However, if it is a privilege extended only to mid to high income citizens, then it's quite discriminatory. I can't imagine that this will fail to be an issue in the debates around this proposed increase in fees. Or will it?

I just read the article "Increased immigration fees denounced" and answered my own question. But I have another one: how does this process work? Who decides on whether the fees will actually be increased? Will there be a vote of some sort after this "discussion period"? Where would I find this information?

Feb 21, 2007: Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority Mail.

Feb 24, 2007: I-129F arrived at VSC at 3:01 p.m.

Feb 27, 2007: NOA1

Feb 28, 2007: They cashed my check.

Mar 2, 2007: Touched! I'm guessing this was my check clearing :)

Mar 5, 2007: NOA1 arrived via snail mail.

Mar 15, 2007: NOA2!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2007: Petition sent to Bogota

May: We send Packet 3 by fax; fax never received.

June: We send packet 3 again; it's sent back because my fiance didn't write NONE and N/A.

July: We send packet 3 again . . .

July 23rd: We get an email from the embassy. Our interview is August 21st!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
No financial aid available except loans. If you have no credit, or bad credit find someone who may lend you money.

Fee waivers are already available for those truly in need.

Note the word 'truly' in need. Like asylum seekers with not a penny in their pocket.

Part of immigration (at present) is sponsorship. The bar is extremely low (125% of the poverty level).

Filed: Timeline
Just another way to get more money out of us.

I don't see any conspiricy. Everything costs money - nothing is free. Who pays the costs of USCIS for people, paper, facilities, etc? Taxes? Yeah, that's the ticket. Lets raise taxes and make other people pay for our process. Remember that this is going to cost you $10K or more with trips, phone calls, gifts, fees, whatever, so another $1000 is 10% or less. If $1000 means you can't do this, you had better think very seriously about what you are attempting to do.

It seems as though the gov't doesn't want its citizens to be with any immigrants.
Well, duh! You haven't figured that out yet??? Seriously, why would they want is to bring in immigrants? People ###### about immigrants and losing jobs to them.

Current filing Fee for K1: 1300.00

Proposed new Filing Fee for K1: 2420.00

People that think another k or two is nothing since USCIS has to buy more paper: Priceless :o

Is there really any need to mock another poster for his/her opinion?

I actually agree with gearheadgeek. Nothing's free.

Add it on to the telephone bills, and plane tickets :lol: it's the cost of doin business I guess

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
There is no guarantee that the process will decrease in time. Just another way to get more money out of us. It seems as though the gov't doesn't want its citizens to be with any immigrants.

Immigration isn't something our government guarantees. It's a privilege and there's usually a high price associated with that.

Exactly.

Bringing a foreign national here to live is not a "right" we are born with. The only " right" we are born with is the right to ASK to bring them.

Security checks, interviews, paperwork and databases...etc do not come free and the cost should not be completely borne by the regular, non-petitioning tax payers. It's a service provided to US as petitioners/beneficiaries, therefore it's right that we should finance it. I hate the fees as much as anyone....the system in place sucks, and yes, it's not that cheap, but then again it's what we have and if you want your loved one here.......

Lisa-ITA too :yes:

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

There is no guarantee that the process will decrease in time. Just another way to get more money out of us. It seems as though the gov't doesn't want its citizens to be with any immigrants.

Immigration isn't something our government guarantees. It's a privilege and there's usually a high price associated with that.

Exactly.

Bringing a foreign national here to live is not a "right" we are born with. The only " right" we are born with is the right to ASK to bring them.

Security checks, interviews, paperwork and databases...etc do not come free and the cost should not be completely borne by the regular, non-petitioning tax payers. It's a service provided to US as petitioners/beneficiaries, therefore it's right that we should finance it. I hate the fees as much as anyone....the system in place sucks, and yes, it's not that cheap, but then again it's what we have and if you want your loved one here.......

and of course ITA with you too. Go figure, lol

When you figure $1000 hike..it's like the cost of a plane ticket. None of us b!tch about that...we shut up and pay it!

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't have a problem with the fee increase. Our process went smoothly however. I think I'd be pretty pissed shelling out over $1000 and then getting stuck in name check hell or something. When you're paying that much for a service, you should be entitled to some degree of efficiency. JMHO.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Does anyone know if there will be possibilities of financial aid for low-income folks? Like many posting to this thread have mentioned, immigration is a privilege, not a right. (Although I would argue that being able to marry the person you fall in love with is part of the "pursuit of happiness.") However, if it is a privilege extended only to mid to high income citizens, then it's quite discriminatory. I can't imagine that this will fail to be an issue in the debates around this proposed increase in fees. Or will it?

Well if your income and financial status is THAT bad, how will you be able to be the affaafafafafafddivit of support? I see what you are saying, but immigration is deffo a privilege and one that is seemingly abused very often in all countries.

Teddy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Exactly.

When CIS was rolled up under DHS the premis was that all depts. would share databases. and all depts. would share the cost to maintain these databases.

it does not cost much to run the DHS check on people seeking immigration benefits.

case in point. if you register for TSA's trusted traveler program "clear" you pay a program fee to clear of $99.95 and a vetting fee to TSA of $28.00

Thats it $28.00 for a go or nogo. the check hits the same databases CIS uses.

How much do you think the K1 , K3 really cost to process.

Im no expert on what will fix CIS, I have some thoughts.

I do know that throwing money at CIS is not the right solution.

CIS has promissed improvements and have we seen them?

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-19

NOA1: 2007-03-27

Touched: 2007-06-06

NOA2: 2007-07-28

Interview 2007-10-03

K.Robert,

Yes. Overall things are moving considerably better and faster today than they were a few short years ago, despite all the extra work that must be done due to post-9/11 laws intended to enhance national security.

This is not to say that things are as good as they could or should be, but there has been improvement.

Yodrak

CIS has promissed improvements and have we seen them?

Everyone is allowed the opportunity to pursue happiness....but they need to pay their own way on this pursuit. (the government is not required to subsidize it, nor should it be)

As for this this $1000 fee increase, if it would speed up processing, I'm all for it and honestly with the associated costs of this process, $1000 is a minor increase.

Add up the number of trips taken to see your loved one, the current filing fees, a visa attorney or other service to complete the forms for K1/K3, phone calls, medical exams, transportation....easily $10,000.

To me it's worth it and I make myself afford it. If you are in love and you truly want to follow this path, then you will find a way to make it happen.

Do I think it will speed up the process? Nope.

I fail to understand why a nation of immigrants continually makes it so hard to immigrate here...we have done so for almost 200 years and show no signs of stopping any time soon.

Novelyn & Gragg

K1

02/08/2007 NOA1 l

05/10/2007 NOA2 !!!

08/13/2007 Interview date... Approved!!!

08/17/2007 Arrive in the US

09/08/2007 Wedding in Las Vegas!

AOS

10/11/2007 AOS mailed overnight to Chicago Lockbox

10/24/2007 NOA for AOS and EAD

11/20/2007 Biometrics Appointment

12/05/2007 EAD Approved, Card Production Ordered!

12/14/2007 EAD Card Received

12/21/2007 Transfered to CSC!

01/28/2008 Green Card and Welcome letter received in the mail!

ROC

10/29/2009 Packet Overnighted to CSC

11/06/2009 NOA Letter Recieved

11/16/2009 Biometrics Appointment Letter

12/02/2009 Biometrics Completed!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

While my husband is not adjusting from K1 or K3, I still say this: while I would gripe about having to pay the increased AOS rates (and will have to pay the increased removal of conditions and citizenship rates, if he decides to become a citizen, which is still up in the air at the moment), having him here with me is worth a million dollars, and if I had that much money, I'd pay it. The 2 or 3 thousand we will pay is nothing compared to the thought of losing him.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
While my husband is not adjusting from K1 or K3, I still say this: while I would gripe about having to pay the increased AOS rates (and will have to pay the increased removal of conditions and citizenship rates, if he decides to become a citizen, which is still up in the air at the moment), having him here with me is worth a million dollars, and if I had that much money, I'd pay it. The 2 or 3 thousand we will pay is nothing compared to the thought of losing him.

is the fee increasing or a hype ? just inquisitive ?

india.gifusa.gif

NVC:

03/14/2007-NVC ASSIGNS CASE NUMBER

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL AND DS-3032 GENERATED

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL FEES MAILED AND DS-3032 MAILED

04/03/2007-NVC ACKNOWLEDGES CHOICE OF AGENT

04/10/2007-I.V FEE BILL GENERATED

04/18/2007-I-864 GENERATED

04/20/2007-I.V. BILL RECEIVED & MAILED TO N.V.C

04/23/2007-I-864 SENT TO NVC

04/26/2007-I.V. FEE BILL & I-864 ENTERED INTO THE NVC SYSTEM

04/30/2007-NVC BARCODE & INSTRUCTIONS FOR DS-230

05/09/2007-DS-230 SENT

05/23/2007-CASE COMPLETED

VISA APPROVED .

05/XX/2007-FLIGHT To JFK POE

another step of I-751 coming near :)

p.s. My opinion is only what i read research and get advices from experienced people.I aint any

lawyer .

.png

Namastey !

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

A thousand bucks (give or take) is a very cheap price to pay for the right to live and work in the US legally, and to be with one's sweetie. There should be no complaints. Look at how much people are paying to be smuggled into the country ILLEGALLY, just so they can work ILLEGALLY, and have NO clear path to permanent residence and/or citizenship?

If people don't like the US pricing model, they are free to try to immigrate to whatever country their loved one is from. But most don't. It's pretty clear why. The cost/benefit analysis shows the US is a better deal. People should stop complaining.

Article just the other day about thousands of illegals in LA demonstrating against the government and stating how they should be given amnesty!! The nerve!!! Such demonstrations should be used as opportunities for round-up and mass deportation. Anyone caught for being illegally in the country should forever be banned from entry, PR, or citizenship. Mine the border with Mexico, and send any captured illegal to Gitmo for 5 years before deportation back to the country of origin.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.