Captain Ewok

New proposed CIS filing fees to increase total immigration costs up to $1,040 for K-1 applicants

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

New proposed CIS filing fees to increase total immigration costs up to $1,040 for K-1 applicants, K-3 up to $920

VisaJourney News

Jan 31, 2007, last updated 10:00pm EST

The new proposed CIS rate increases for fiscal year 2008 (see attached rate sheet below) will cost K-1 applicants up to $1,040 in additional fee's for their entire immigration paperwork. K-3 applicants will have to pay up to $920 in additional fees. The major benefit cited by the US CIS is to reduce application processing times and to improve the operation of the CIS as a whole. As part of the proposed change Employment Authorization Documents as well as Advance Parole (travel) documents will require no additional fee(s) when filed with an I-485 (to adjust status to permanent residency). Both benefits will also incur no additional cost to renew while the I-485 application is processing.

The increases for a K-1 applicant would be as follows:

Form and amount increased/decreased:

I-129f --> $285 (petition for fiancee of US Citizen)

I-485 --> $580 (filing for adjustment of status to get green card)

I-131 --> $-170 (no cost to file or renew while I-485 is being processed; required if you travel outside the US before getting a green card)

I-765 --> $-180 (no cost to file or renew while I-485 is being processed; optional but almost always filed so applicant can work)

I-751 --> $260 (almost always required if I-485 is approved within 2 years of marriage)

N-400 --> $265 (application for Citizenship)

Total = $1,040 increase (current rates total: $1,380, proposed rates total: $2,420)

The increases for a K-3 applicant would be as follows (assumes applicant files for Adjustment in the US and does not pursue the I-130 at the consulate):

I-130 --> $165 (petition for spouse of US Citizen)

I-129f --> $-170 (required to file as part of K-3 procedure)

I-765 --> $-180 (no cost to file or renew while I-485 is being processed; optional but almost always filed so applicant can work)

I-751 --> $260 (required if I-485 is approved within 2 years of marriage)

Total = $920 increase (current rates total: $1,400, proposed rates total: $2,320)

Current and Proposed US CIS filing fees:

post-11749-1170298464_thumb.jpg

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No news is good news I guess. I guess you have to be rich to get hitched nowadays. I can understand some increases but not 80-90%. Just terrible if it passes. :crying:

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

There is no guarantee that the process will decrease in time. Just another way to get more money out of us. It seems as though the gov't doesn't want its citizens to be with any immigrants.

Filed: Other Timeline
There is no guarantee that the process will decrease in time. Just another way to get more money out of us. It seems as though the gov't doesn't want its citizens to be with any immigrants.

Immigration isn't something our government guarantees. It's a privilege and there's usually a high price associated with that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Remember there are also other "out-of-pocket" that you incur in addition to these USCIS costs (visa issuance, medical, etc....).

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tanzania
Timeline
Remember there are also other "out-of-pocket" that you incur in addition to these USCIS costs (visa issuance, medical, etc....).

when are these changes slated to take place?

K-1 - VSC

Aug 2005 -- 1st trip, We meet, become friends; Jan 2006 -- start dating

April 2006 -- 2nd trip, We get engaged; Sept-Nov 2006 -- 3rd trip, More time together

Feb 8, 2007 -- Mailed 129-F package to VSC

Feb 13 -- NOA1!

Feb 19 -- Touched

Feb 20 -- check cashed! NOA1 arrives snail mail!

Feb 22 -- Touched

Mar 8 -- NOA2 email!

Mar 12 -- NVC recieves

Mar 15 -- NVC sends out

Mar. 26 -- Packet 3!

Apr 17 -- Medical

Apr 24 -- Interview, Approved!

Apr 27 -- Picked up passport

May 4 -- POE JFK

May 19-- Apply for SS#

Jul 13 -- Married!

Jul 24 -- Sent out AOS/EAD paperwork

End of Aug -- NOA for EAD and AOS

Sept 6 -- Biometrics

Sep 21 -- Email that AOS app was transfered to CSC

Sept 24 -- Email that EAD is on its way

Oct 10 -- EAD card recvd

Nov 10 -- Email that AOS APPROVED!!!!! (no interview)

Nov 16 -- Green card arrives in mail

http://fiancevisatz.blogspot.com/

"Love always finds its way home"

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Immigration isn't something our government guarantees. It's a privilege and there's usually a high price associated with that.

What does that have to do with the cost of the process going up 60% (for the K-3)? I don't have a problem paying more if the process is quicker. I've seen some posts referring to 'premium processing' where the petitioner could pay an additional fee ($1000?) to give their petition priority. I'd do that in a second if it was possible. And if this fee increase speeds up the process I'm all for it. But as patiently_waiting said, there's no guarantee it will happen and even if it does it will likely not be seen by those of us in process now. Call me selfish but I don't want to pay a fee increase so those behind me can get faster processing. ;)

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Decrease processing time? Right...and I'm made of marshmallows...

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Just another way to get more money out of us.

I don't see any conspiricy. Everything costs money - nothing is free. Who pays the costs of USCIS for people, paper, facilities, etc? Taxes? Yeah, that's the ticket. Lets raise taxes and make other people pay for our process. Remember that this is going to cost you $10K or more with trips, phone calls, gifts, fees, whatever, so another $1000 is 10% or less. If $1000 means you can't do this, you had better think very seriously about what you are attempting to do.

It seems as though the gov't doesn't want its citizens to be with any immigrants.

Well, duh! You haven't figured that out yet??? Seriously, why would they want is to bring in immigrants? People ###### about immigrants and losing jobs to them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just another way to get more money out of us.

I don't see any conspiricy. Everything costs money - nothing is free. Who pays the costs of USCIS for people, paper, facilities, etc? Taxes? Yeah, that's the ticket. Lets raise taxes and make other people pay for our process. Remember that this is going to cost you $10K or more with trips, phone calls, gifts, fees, whatever, so another $1000 is 10% or less. If $1000 means you can't do this, you had better think very seriously about what you are attempting to do.

It seems as though the gov't doesn't want its citizens to be with any immigrants.
Well, duh! You haven't figured that out yet??? Seriously, why would they want is to bring in immigrants? People ###### about immigrants and losing jobs to them.

Current filing Fee for K1: 1300.00

Proposed new Filing Fee for K1: 2420.00

People that think another k or two is nothing since USCIS has to buy more paper: Priceless :o

Edited by isleta521

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I second the question asking when this takes effect. I very literally just went and got the money order to pay for the K-3 I-130 processing fee. I'd hate to have to go back to the bank and get another one.

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

This will not take place until fiscal year 2008. So this is many months from now.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
New proposed CIS filing fees to increase total immigration costs up to $1,040 for K-1 applicants, K-3 up to $920

VisaJourney News

Jan 31, 2007, last updated 10:00pm EST

The new proposed CIS rate increases for fiscal year 2008 (see attached rate sheet below) will cost K-1 applicants up to $1,040 in additional fee's for their entire immigration paperwork. K-3 applicants will have to pay up to $920 in additional fees. The major benefit cited by the US CIS is to reduce application processing times and to improve the operation of the CIS as a whole. As part of the proposed change Employment Authorization Documents as well as Advance Parole (travel) documents will require no additional fee(s) when filed with an I-485 (to adjust status to permanent residency). Both benefits will also incur no additional cost to renew while the I-485 application is processing.

The increases for a K-1 applicant would be as follows:

I-129f --> $285 (petition for fiancee of US Citizen)

I-131 --> $-170 (no cost to file or renew while I-485 is being processed; required if you travel outside the US before getting a green card)

I-751 --> $260 (almost always required if I-485 is approved within 2 years of marriage)

Total = $1,040 increase (current rates total: $1,380, proposed rates total: $2,420)

The increases for a K-3 applicant would be as follows (assumes applicant files for Adjustment in the US and does not pursue the I-130 at the consulate):

I-130 --> $165 (petition for spouse of US Citizen)

I-129f --> $-170 (required to file as part of K-3 procedure)

I-751 --> $260 (required if I-485 is approved within 2 years of marriage)

Total = $920 increase (current rates total: $1,400, proposed rates total: $2,320)

Current and Proposed US CIS filing fees:

I clicked the link you provided but it came out in error.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

holy snickers, am I glad we're almost done with most major parts of the immigration process.... 2.5 k for a k1? wow.....

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Does anyone know if there will be possibilities of financial aid for low-income folks? Like many posting to this thread have mentioned, immigration is a privilege, not a right. (Although I would argue that being able to marry the person you fall in love with is part of the "pursuit of happiness.") However, if it is a privilege extended only to mid to high income citizens, then it's quite discriminatory. I can't imagine that this will fail to be an issue in the debates around this proposed increase in fees. Or will it?

Feb 21, 2007: Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority Mail.

Feb 24, 2007: I-129F arrived at VSC at 3:01 p.m.

Feb 27, 2007: NOA1

Feb 28, 2007: They cashed my check.

Mar 2, 2007: Touched! I'm guessing this was my check clearing :)

Mar 5, 2007: NOA1 arrived via snail mail.

Mar 15, 2007: NOA2!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2007: Petition sent to Bogota

May: We send Packet 3 by fax; fax never received.

June: We send packet 3 again; it's sent back because my fiance didn't write NONE and N/A.

July: We send packet 3 again . . .

July 23rd: We get an email from the embassy. Our interview is August 21st!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.