ellp

sponsor's household..?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I'm a little confused after trying to find out about the Affidavit of Support. Might be a silly question but I'm having trouble finding the answer to it... Can anyone tell me what the deal is if the sponsor is currently living with parents? From what I'm reading it seems like the sponsor needs to earn 125% of the poverty margin for the whole house, does this really apply if they're currently living with parents who have more than enough money to support themselves?

The parents might cosponsor (I'm the alien fiance), which I know the whole household would be included in and that's fine, plenty of money there, but if the whole household is really included in my fiance's sponsoring of me then he's goign to have to move out.. if that makes sense... The plan is to move out when I get over there, to conserve money until then.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks,

Ell.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

I'm a little confused after trying to find out about the Affidavit of Support. Might be a silly question but I'm having trouble finding the answer to it... Can anyone tell me what the deal is if the sponsor is currently living with parents? From what I'm reading it seems like the sponsor needs to earn 125% of the poverty margin for the whole house, does this really apply if they're currently living with parents who have more than enough money to support themselves?

The parents might cosponsor (I'm the alien fiance), which I know the whole household would be included in and that's fine, plenty of money there, but if the whole household is really included in my fiance's sponsoring of me then he's goign to have to move out.. if that makes sense... The plan is to move out when I get over there, to conserve money until then.

Thanks,

Ell.

Size of the "household" that he financially supports himself. Don't confuse it with whatever overall living arrangements there is.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

They mean pretty much those dependent of you in your tax return.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Timeline

Ell,

Sounds like you might be thinking about I-864 when you should be thinking about I-134? And the old I-864 at that.

Yodrak

Hi,

Thanks,

Ell.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So on the poverty guidelines when they say "household" they really only mean the sponsor and any *dependants*? Which I guess would be the benficiary. I live with my mom but we each pay our own way and don't claim either as dependants. I just filed a FAFSA for college and I had to put the size of my "household" as one because she's not a dependant, so finding this thread in support of that idea if great as it lessens the burden just a bit.

My mom and I are both sending in I-134's and our combined income and assets more than cover the household of two as I now understand it. Our combined income covers a household of 6 on the poverty guidelines sheet at 125% of poverty and more at 100%. So I think we will be fine sponsoring my fiance.

I had been including my mom as "household" member but she's not, really. But since she is also a sponsor, even if she IS included, we're ok as long as they count our combined income and assets. Strange how the government defines it.

Edited by MairzyDoats

We're having a bit of trouble with this, as well.

My fiancée lives with her parents and was thinking about the co-sponsor with them. But if the household size refers to just myself and her, surely she need be my only sponsor? PS What is the current 125% poverty guideline?

Timeline

23/04/04 - Met online

17/01/05 - Met in Person (T to UK until 27/01/05)

10/03/05 - T to UK for second time (until 06/04/05)

20/06/05 - D to US for first time (until 10/07/05)

20/10/05 - T to UK for third time (until 13/04/06)

--

09/09/06 - I-129F petition first mailed to TSC - certified & return receipt

18/09/06 - I-129F petition returned to us dated 21/09/2006 (I-129F form & biographics forms out of date)

27/09/06 - I-129F petition re-mailed to TSC with up-to-date forms

**sometime between 27/09/06 and 17/10/06 visa was transferred to CSC**

17/10/06 - NOA1 (Notice of Receipt)

13/01/07 - **touched**

16/01/06 - NOA2 (Approved!!)

19/01/07 - Requested Police certificate

30/01/07 - NVC snail mail approval (dated 25th)

01/02/07 - Packet 3 from US Embassy (dated 29th)

05/02/07 - Forms sent Special Delivery to US Embassy

06/02/07 - Police certificate & vaccination record received

09/02/07 - Checklist sent Special Delivery to US Embassy

13/02/07 - Medical Appointment (Passed!!)

17/02/07 - Packet 4 from US Embassy

09/03/07 - Interview (Approved!! Pending fingerprint check)

17/03/07 - Received Visa

22/03/07 - US Entry

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancée lives with her parents and was thinking about the co-sponsor with them. But if the household size refers to just myself and her, surely she need be my only sponsor? PS What is the current 125% poverty guideline?

It depends on the size of the household:

2006 Poverty Guidelines

Are you talking about the I-134? Because if you are, you only need 100% for that. The I-864 which comes later will need 125%.

It depends on the size of the household:

2006 Poverty Guidelines

Are you talking about the I-134? Because if you are, you only need 100% for that. The I-864 which comes later will need 125%.

Oh, well that's a new one - I was thinking it was 125% I guess it's better safe than sorry, though.

Yeah, I'm referring to the I-134. So if my fiancee is earning over the guideline, does she need at least 2 peices of evidence, still? Thing is, she doesn't have 3 years' worth of ax returns. She only started her job around October 06 and is now earning over the guidelines. However, before that, she didn't. Last year she had 3 jobs and her last tax return is below the guidelines. In this case, would we need a co-sponsor?

Thanks

Timeline

23/04/04 - Met online

17/01/05 - Met in Person (T to UK until 27/01/05)

10/03/05 - T to UK for second time (until 06/04/05)

20/06/05 - D to US for first time (until 10/07/05)

20/10/05 - T to UK for third time (until 13/04/06)

--

09/09/06 - I-129F petition first mailed to TSC - certified & return receipt

18/09/06 - I-129F petition returned to us dated 21/09/2006 (I-129F form & biographics forms out of date)

27/09/06 - I-129F petition re-mailed to TSC with up-to-date forms

**sometime between 27/09/06 and 17/10/06 visa was transferred to CSC**

17/10/06 - NOA1 (Notice of Receipt)

13/01/07 - **touched**

16/01/06 - NOA2 (Approved!!)

19/01/07 - Requested Police certificate

30/01/07 - NVC snail mail approval (dated 25th)

01/02/07 - Packet 3 from US Embassy (dated 29th)

05/02/07 - Forms sent Special Delivery to US Embassy

06/02/07 - Police certificate & vaccination record received

09/02/07 - Checklist sent Special Delivery to US Embassy

13/02/07 - Medical Appointment (Passed!!)

17/02/07 - Packet 4 from US Embassy

09/03/07 - Interview (Approved!! Pending fingerprint check)

17/03/07 - Received Visa

22/03/07 - US Entry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.