JoeMama

Requesting interview outside of fiance's own country?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I tried searching around the forum and the USCIS website for an answer, but had no luck. I was wondering if it is mandatory that my fiancee' has to have her interview conducted at a US Consulate inside her own country? Or is it possible to write on I-129F another US Consulate outside her country? I only ask this question because Ukraine has only 1 US Consulate inside her country. It is in Kiev. I've heard very many undesirable things about this particular US Consulate. People that had gone through the US Consulate in Kiev said they would recommend going through a US Consulate in another nearby country. For example, Warsaw, Poland. Do I need good reason or must file something to ask state another US consulate outside of my fiance's country? Or will this throw up a red flag for wanting to have interview outside my fiancee's own country? I was under the impression that one US Consulate is the same as the next US Consulate as in any other country around the world. I would love to hear your thoughts on this one. I know I must not be the only person who must have this question in mind. ;)

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

I tried searching around the forum and the USCIS website for an answer, but had no luck. I was wondering if it is mandatory that my fiancee' has to have her interview conducted at a US Consulate inside her own country? Or is it possible to write on I-129F another US Consulate outside her country? I only ask this question because Ukraine has only 1 US Consulate inside her country. It is in Kiev. I've heard very many undesirable things about this particular US Consulate. People that had gone through the US Consulate in Kiev said they would recommend going through a US Consulate in another nearby country. For example, Warsaw, Poland. Do I need good reason or must file something to ask state another US consulate outside of my fiance's country? Or will this throw up a red flag for wanting to have interview outside my fiancee's own country? I was under the impression that one US Consulate is the same as the next US Consulate as in any other country around the world. I would love to hear your thoughts on this one. I know I must not be the only person who must have this question in mind. ;)

I've thought about this before but found no clear answer. USCIS seems to say you can request any consulate you wish, but its the consulate which can choose not to take your case. I would suggest checking with the consulate that you wish to do your interview with. The NOA2 approval notice from USCIS says that once your petition is sent to a consulate you can then request the consulate to forward your files to a different consulate. The other option is to file a form with USCIS I-824 I think it was, pay the $200 fee and they will notify a different consulate.

Good luck!

Edited by LookyWhatIFound

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would like to know what you have heard because all the reported experiences I have about Kiev is very much the opposite

YMMV

Timeline
I would like to know what you have heard because all the reported experiences I have about Kiev is very much the opposite

I have spoke to some married couples here in my area where their spouses are from Ukraine. They spoke of the consulate staff trying to roadblock them at every turn, causing delays, and monetary bribes they had to do. One couple I can understand. They are fairly thoughtless and chaotic in their life here and their negativity does show. So I don't take too much of what they say seriously. :whistle: I personally do not know because my fiancee' and I have not had the experience yet. All of them suggested applying for a consulate in a neighboring country, like going to Warsaw, for the interview. I do not wish to take a few people's word at the situation. This is why I ask this question of going to a consulate outside the beneficiary's own country. I would prefer to believe all the good things you have heard from people you know who have gone through Kiev and the consulate staff do conduct themselves as one of the same. :)

Edited by altimixdj

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have spoke to some married couples here in my area where their spouses are from Ukraine. They spoke of the consulate staff trying to roadblock them at every turn, causing delays, and monetary bribes they had to do. One couple I can understand. They are fairly thoughtless and chaotic in their life here and their negativity does show. So I don't take too much of what they say seriously. :whistle: I personally do not know because my fiancee' and I have not had the experience yet. All of them suggested applying for a consulate in a neighboring country, like going to Warsaw, for the interview. I do not wish to take a few people's word at the situation. This is why I ask this question of going to a consulate outside the beneficiary's own country. I would prefer to believe all the good things you have heard from people you know who have gone through Kiev and the consulate staff do conduct themselves as one of the same. :)

Interesting, I know 6 or 7 guys who have gone through Kiev and have all said the Consulate is friendly and helpful (though sticklers on proper paperwork). Everyone has suggested if you do your homework and arrive at the facility properly prepared then you should have no problems. Have you checked out the reviews here on VJ about Kiev?

YMMV

Timeline
Interesting, I know 6 or 7 guys who have gone through Kiev and have all said the Consulate is friendly and helpful (though sticklers on proper paperwork). Everyone has suggested if you do your homework and arrive at the facility properly prepared then you should have no problems. Have you checked out the reviews here on VJ about Kiev?

I will certainly check out the Kiev reviews on here. Thanks for the suggestion my good man! I hate to believe people are as horrible as others try to make them out to be. I can say my fiancee' and I are being very thorough with everything involved with this visa process! Every day I am constantly looking over all the documentation to make sure I did not miss anything or made any mistakes! I am fortunate that she shares my desire and gets things done right away! My poor file cabinets are so full of 3 copies of EVERYTHING! I'll be taking 1/3 of the files over with me in a couple of weeks and giving them to my fiancee' to have when the time arrives for her interview. I told her she better hit the gym and work out those muscles! She will be carrying quite a bit when she has to take all those files to her interview! ;)

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

Filed: Timeline

altimixdj,

One US consulate is not the same as the next if for no other reason than one country is not the same as the next. The consulates are going to reflect the country in which they are located.

It would be reasonable for a visa applicant to apply at the US consulate in the country where they are residing if not in their country of citizenship. But it would not be reasonable for a visa applicant to shop around for a 'friendly' consulate. There are usually good reasons behind the policies and actions that make a consulate appear to be 'unfriendly', and another consulate is not going to want to deal with those problem issues just because a visa applicant wants to avoid them.

Yodrak

I tried searching around the forum and the USCIS website for an answer, but had no luck. I was wondering if it is mandatory that my fiancee' has to have her interview conducted at a US Consulate inside her own country? Or is it possible to write on I-129F another US Consulate outside her country? I only ask this question because Ukraine has only 1 US Consulate inside her country. It is in Kiev. I've heard very many undesirable things about this particular US Consulate. People that had gone through the US Consulate in Kiev said they would recommend going through a US Consulate in another nearby country. For example, Warsaw, Poland. Do I need good reason or must file something to ask state another US consulate outside of my fiance's country? Or will this throw up a red flag for wanting to have interview outside my fiancee's own country? I was under the impression that one US Consulate is the same as the next US Consulate as in any other country around the world. I would love to hear your thoughts on this one. I know I must not be the only person who must have this question in mind.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry, you cannot go consulate shopping...

Your fiancee must be interviewed at the consulate that has jurisdiction over the country of residence...

The only exception is with a K3, where the alien is interviwed at the consulate that has jurisdiction over where the marriage took place. Many a person who got married in the Carribean, only to find out that their visa interview was in Nassau, Barbados, Caracas, or Kingston...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
altimixdj,

One US consulate is not the same as the next if for no other reason than one country is not the same as the next. The consulates are going to reflect the country in which they are located.

It would be reasonable for a visa applicant to apply at the US consulate in the country where they are residing if not in their country of citizenship. But it would not be reasonable for a visa applicant to shop around for a 'friendly' consulate. There are usually good reasons behind the policies and actions that make a consulate appear to be 'unfriendly', and another consulate is not going to want to deal with those problem issues just because a visa applicant wants to avoid them.

Yodrak

I tried searching around the forum and the USCIS website for an answer, but had no luck. I was wondering if it is mandatory that my fiancee' has to have her interview conducted at a US Consulate inside her own country? Or is it possible to write on I-129F another US Consulate outside her country? I only ask this question because Ukraine has only 1 US Consulate inside her country. It is in Kiev. I've heard very many undesirable things about this particular US Consulate. People that had gone through the US Consulate in Kiev said they would recommend going through a US Consulate in another nearby country. For example, Warsaw, Poland. Do I need good reason or must file something to ask state another US consulate outside of my fiance's country? Or will this throw up a red flag for wanting to have interview outside my fiancee's own country? I was under the impression that one US Consulate is the same as the next US Consulate as in any other country around the world. I would love to hear your thoughts on this one. I know I must not be the only person who must have this question in mind.

However, Yodrak, doing 'consulate shopping' is not a smiled upon action that they like either.

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Timeline

Aussielad,

That is what I intimated.

Yodrak

altimixdj,

Yodrak

However, Yodrak, doing 'consulate shopping' is not a smiled upon action that they like either.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.