Mariana M.

To say that you've bought tickets - how bad is it?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

One post, all apparently in Portuguese, has been removed from the thread. It's English-only outside the regional forums, please. This is so that everyone who reads the thread can understand what's being said.

If one must post in a foreign language, at least include the English translation with it in the same post. The person who has posted the removed Portuguese text is welcome to repost a translation.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I fly United an awful lot, and they have told me again and again that I can change the dates on my tickets, and it's $120 to do so. They also have a policy on 'awful circumstances' like a death in the family - and they will refund the $120 (you still have to pay it when you change the dates) on sending them the death certificate - I imagine you could send details of the Visa and interview if they needed it instead.

So...I would ring up united (sooner rather than later) and change the dates before you explode from worry !

(edit: um...I think that's $120 per ticket sorry)

Edited by Lauren and Kevin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I really hope you will have it on time ..

many manyyy prayers to you and your fiance :)

K1

AOS

ROC

09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

N400

09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks everyone!
Turns out they did have misplaced my medical or something.

My fiance called and, after a lot of waiting, they told him that they didn't have it. When he told them it had gotten there on the 6th, they said they were going to look for it.

A few minutes later they e-mailed him saying that "the documents have been received and were forwarded for review".

If it's not issued in a few hours, we'll call again.

Feeling hopeful!

I fly United an awful lot, and they have told me again and again that I can change the dates on my tickets, and it's $120 to do so. They also have a policy on 'awful circumstances' like a death in the family - and they will refund the $120 (you still have to pay it when you change the dates) on sending them the death certificate - I imagine you could send details of the Visa and interview if they needed it instead.

So...I would ring up united (sooner rather than later) and change the dates before you explode from worry !

(edit: um...I think that's $120 per ticket sorry)

Thank you!

I found this: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/reservations/samedaychange.aspx

Not sure it would apply, but I'll check it out if it turns out to be necessary by the end of today.

Edited by Mariana M.

Timeline

My fiancé had to change his flight and the 24hour thing works, but they make it really confusing he had to talk to few people before talk with a good employee who explained everything and helped him with that. So good luck! And I hope everything goes well and you don't need to deal with airlines companies.

K1

June 27, 2014: I-129F packet sent

July 03, 2014: NOA1

January 09, 2015: NOA2 (190 days)

January 14: Sent to NVC

January 16: NOA2 hard copy

April, 6: Medical

April, 7: Interview/Approved

April 29: Visa received (FINALLY)

May 25: POE - Fort Lauderdale, FL

__

AOS

August 05, 2015: AOS sent

August 12: NOA1 (e-mail)

September 04: Biometrics

October 20: EAD/AP Approved (no text&email)

October 22: EAD/AP mailed

October 26: EAD/AP delivered

November 27: GC Approved/produced
December 02: GC mailed

December 05: GC Delivered

Timeline

Thanks everyone!

Turns out they did have misplaced my medical or something.

My fiance called and, after a lot of waiting, they told him that they didn't have it. When he told them it had gotten there on the 6th, they said they were going to look for it.

A few minutes later they e-mailed him saying that "the documents have been received and were forwarded for review".

If it's not issued in a few hours, we'll call again.

Feeling hopeful!

Thank you!

I found this: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/reservations/samedaychange.aspx

Not sure it would apply, but I'll check it out if it turns out to be necessary by the end of today.

Woow, what a mess! Hopefully they will review it asap but unfortunately I think you would be getting probably by the day of your trip! The good thing is everything clear now and maybe you will have to postpone the trip only for a few days if so!! Keeping our prays!!! :)

Timeline

Woow, what a mess! Hopefully they will review it asap but unfortunately I think you would be getting probably by the day of your trip! The good thing is everything clear now and maybe you will have to postpone the trip only for a few days if so!! Keeping our prays!!! :)

Thank you!!!

But now it says "Ready" as in for the interview again :cry: I'm going nuts!

I'm looking up similar cases and it seems that after this happens it always takes a couple of days to be issued...

Timeline

Thank you!!!

But now it says "Ready" as in for the interview again :cry: I'm going nuts!

I'm looking up similar cases and it seems that after this happens it always takes a couple of days to be issued...

Well, I believe that maybe it's just a standard status and it will turn into issued as soon as they touch your medical records! Try to have your fiancé calling again (But I guess they work from 8am to 2pm, right)? Anyways if he doesn't make to call today I believe they will issue by monday and I don't know if you could request 1 day shipping to make sure it will be there on time! Keeping our hopes up! I wish I could go by and pick it up it for you, lol! It takes me 5 minutes walking to the Embassy!

Timeline

Sedex 10 would be perfect.

K1

__

AOS

Timeline

Sedex 10 would be perfect.

R they working with Correios now? Way back in time when I had my J1 and B2 Visas they had TNT as their carrier, maybe they changed. I hope so!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry about the long post, I wanted to make the situation clear.

Before anything, please don't patronize me, I'm already beating myself up enough!

So I had my medical on the 3rd and my interview on the 4th. I was approved, and the consul said that when my medical got there the visa would be issued (if everything was ok, of course). He said that it should be in my hands in 2 weeks.

I looked at Brazil K-1 VJ timelines and it seemed that everyone got theirs in 1 week.

For personal and complicated reasons, my family and I decided to buy the tickets already - for the 26th, Wednesday. No refunds, no rescheduling. For my mother, my brother and I.

Well, my visa status had an update on the 12th and one yesterday, the 19th. Still on AP. Two days ago I got an e-mail from the consulate (because I had asked) saying that the visa is still pending approval because it is waiting on my medical.

The doctor provided me a tracking number. Everything was delivered to the consulate on the 6th.

If my visa is not issued tomorrow, I don't have a chance of getting it in time. Tomorrow is already risky.

Today is a Brazilian holiday and out of all the US consulates, only the Rio one is closed.

They don't take phone calls about immigrant visas. Only e-mails, and that's 3 days to respond.

Tomorrow morning my fiance will try to call and see if they talk to him.

Lesson learned - if you're thinking of doing that, DON'T.

Now my question is: I know they advise you not to make any trip arrangements before you have your visa. But if we told them so, could that do any harm? Could they purposefully delay my visa or something like that, or the worst I can get is a "we told you so"?

I doubt that anyone possibly has an accurate answer, but I'd appreciate opinions.

I know people personally who had mentioned at interview they want to leave immediately with their spouse, fiance' or soon as possible and had their Visa done faster.

Why would you think they would delay you because you have tickets. Also many airlines are kind to the fact that things changed. You may have to pay a fee but look into that.

Someone for Canada had their Visa done right there at the embassy (The embassy messed up and they had to come back after interview for fingerprinting again) but it shows things can be done. I had my passport made sealed and handed to me in Lagos Nigeria while I wait. You have to ask, make some noise got to embassy beg and beg again.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

R they working with Correios now? Way back in time when I had my J1 and B2 Visas they had TNT as their carrier, maybe they changed. I hope so!

Actually idk, because I never went to Rio consulate but every review that I read they say "correios" so I suppose yes? The last review they gave the address for "correios" maybe you know where is it because looks like is outside of the consulate.

Yeah, my b2 was delivered by dhl back when they stop charging for shipping.

Well one thing we have sure about this process: Murphy's law truly exists.

Edited by samlog

K1

__

AOS

Timeline

Ok, almost solved now.

My fiance called again, talked to the same woman. She said that she doesn't know why it's "Ready" again, but it shows on her system that it will be issued and mailed on Monday. She then said that she could e-mail me the Correios contact to see if I could get a faster service. She did right away.

I tried to call them 5 times, was put on hold for a long time (NVC feelings) and they told me the system is not accepting faster deliveries to my city, which I didn't completely trust. I might call and ask again soon. He said it takes 2-3 days, but sometimes it's faster

So I asked if I could go pick it up and he said yes, I could e-mail him my information and the number the consulate gave me, and he would contact me when they had it available.

So I think that will be my best bet, going to Rio to pick it up Tuesday (Renata you're so lucky to work nearby).

Thanks everyone, you nice people!

Oh, and it is Correios, while my mother's tourist visa was DHL, which worked flawlessly. Go figure.

Edited by Mariana M.

Timeline

Ok, almost solved now.

My fiance called again, talked to the same woman. She said that she doesn't know why it's "Ready" again, but it shows on her system that it will be issued and mailed on Monday. She then said that she could e-mail me the Correios contact to see if I could get a faster service. She did right away.

I tried to call them 5 times, was put on hold for a long time (NVC feelings) and they told me the system is not accepting faster deliveries to my city, which I didn't completely trust. I might call and ask again soon. He said it takes 2-3 days, but sometimes it's faster

So I asked if I could go pick it up and he said yes, I could e-mail him my information and the number the consulate gave me, and he would contact me when they had it available.

So I think that will be my best bet, going to Rio to pick it up Tuesday (Renata you're so lucky to work nearby).

Thanks everyone, you nice people!

Oh, and it is Correios, while my mother's tourist visa was DHL, which worked flawlessly. Go figure.

Ohh, that's great to hear! Please check www.melhoresdestinos.com.br Lately they been having great deals for national flights..Or maybe you have some miles. Glad everything worked out!!! :D

One advice: Make sure they will hold your passport there and tell them you're flying to pick it up. Call on monday and before your flight to make sure they didn't ship it, ok?

Timeline

Ohh, that's great to hear! Please check www.melhoresdestinos.com.br Lately they been having great deals for national flights..Or maybe you have some miles. Glad everything worked out!!! :D

One advice: Make sure they will hold your passport there and tell them you're flying to pick it up. Call on monday and before your flight to make sure they didn't ship it, ok?

Change of plans! Dear god, what a crazy situation.

My mother, who is a very persuasive lawyer, called the Correios and talked to the same man. Turns out he also had a daughter Mariana and felt sympathetic. He will be making an exception and changing it to Sedex 10. So if the consulate sends it on Monday before 4pm, it will get to me Tuesday at 10am. If they send it Monday after 4pm or Tuesday, it will get to me Wednesday 10am (ugh!)

And he also told her that I can't pick it up at the post offices, I would have to pick it up at the consulate. Although I'm sure he told me otherwise. And I'm pretty sure you can't pick it up at the consulate even if you live in the same city.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.