14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline

Anyone know how long a LPR can travel outside the U.S. with a green card?

I've read it somewhere, but I can't remember where. I believe it's up to one year, but maybe it's changed.

15 Jul 2005 I-129F Received by the CSC

26 Jul 2005 NOA1

19 Oct 2005 NOA2

24 Oct 2005 Received NOA2 by snail mail

31 Oct 2005 Received letter from NVC with case number

02 Nov 2005 Received email from consulate asking for I-134

04 Nov 2005 Medical exam $150, Vaccinations $90

02 Dec 2005 K-1 Visa Granted

25 Mar 2006 POE JFK Work stamp issued

02 Jun 2006 MARRIED

:DISCLAIMER: I am neither a lawyer nor received any training whatsoever in legal issues. The views I express are through my own personal experiences. Always consult an attorney or legal professional for legal advice.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Try the pinned post at the top of the forum.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

The USCIS website sort of says a year at http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B4.pdf

Has anyone ever had trouble returning from abroad with a green card under a year?

26 Jul 2005 NOA1

19 Oct 2005 NOA2

02 Jun 2006 MARRIED

:DISCLAIMER: I am neither a lawyer nor received any training whatsoever in legal issues. The views I express are through my own personal experiences. Always consult an attorney or legal professional for legal advice.

Timeline
The USCIS website sort of says a year at http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B4.pdf

Has anyone ever had trouble returning from abroad with a green card under a year?

There is much more to it than simply the amount of time out of the US. This is why I recommended you to the pinned forum, and more specifically, the CIS page called Now That You Are a Permanent Resident.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

Well, in looking at "Now That You Are a Permanent Resident" it seems that if a resident is abroad less than a year, there is no problem upon reentry to the U.S. Has anyone experienced otherwise? I can't find anything to the contrary in the pinned section of this forum.

From USCIS at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

"International Travel

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration."

26 Jul 2005 NOA1

19 Oct 2005 NOA2

02 Jun 2006 MARRIED

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The two main potential problems I know of for absences less than a year are:

- did you in act in any way which could be considered abandoning your permanent resident ( I was often hassled when I chose to complete my university up in Canada, they really questioned me regarding my plans and how long i was gone for). Once you have been granted the privilege of a green card they expect you to want to stay in the U.S.

- an absence of more than 6 months will interrupt the time period required to apply for naturalization

Well, in looking at "Now That You Are a Permanent Resident" it seems that if a resident is abroad less than a year, there is no problem upon reentry to the U.S. Has anyone experienced otherwise? I can't find anything to the contrary in the pinned section of this forum.

"International Travel

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration."

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi,

as far as I know, you can only travel for 6 month. If you want to stay longer, than you have to let them know before and fill out some papers. Etc.

Good luck to you.

v34h.jpg

LhJUm4.png

pf2Rm4.png

7gOjm4.png?2CQ9jiXQ

Met on October 18, 1996 in a bar called "Calypso" in Richmond, Virginia, during my Au-Pair year

View complete Timeline:

Quick Facts:
02/23/2006 - sent I 129 to VSC (first step done!) 07/13/2006 - received Visa!
09/22/2006 - civil marriage in New York City
10/05/2006 - sent AOS papers to VSC
12/11/2006 - Welcome Letter and GREEN CARD in Mail!!!!!! Lets' party!!!!!
09/24/2008 - sent Removal of conditions package to VSC
07/02/2009 - received 10 year Green Card! YEAH!!!!! Finally!
2014 - Citizenship

Filed: Timeline

You could be denided after just a week if they think you have failed to maintain your US residency or if they think you are have been working in another country or any other reason that they can come up with to show that you have failed to maintain your status...

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

Kez

Timeline
Hi,

as far as I know, you can only travel for 6 month. If you want to stay longer, than you have to let them know before and fill out some papers. Etc.

Good luck to you.

Then you should read the pinned information, too. Your understanding is wrong.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

"International Travel

My boss and good friend and his wife were out of the country together for over a year in Aruba. They had some minor issues but nothing major.

t

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
t,

ménage à trois?

Yodrak

My boss and good friend and his wife were out of the country together for over a year in Aruba. They had some minor issues but nothing major.

t

LOL no...but I did meet MY wife while working in Aruba.

t

Timeline
Hi,

Good luck to you.

Then you should read the pinned information, too. Your understanding is wrong.

Meauxna,

I assume you refer to the pinned section of this forum, i.e. Adjustment of Status (Green Card) General Discussion. I've read through it and haven't noticed anything in addition to that posted in this thread. Is there something else? Can you post the section to which you refer? I'd really appreciate it.

My wife and I intended to bring our son back to the U.S. through a DCF and she left the first week of January; I am joining her Tuesday. We bought our tickets last November without knowledge of the Adam Walsh Act and that it would prevent us from a DCF after Jan. 23rd.

I filed an I-130 with the Laguna Niguel Ca. Service Center yesterday, but according to their site, it might take 6 or more months before our son receives an immigrant visa due to backlog. Prior to Jan. 23rd, the embassy told us 2 weeks with a DCF.

We are discussing her staying in her country until our son's visa is ready, but I have become very wary of inmigration and am leaning toward bringing my wife back until our son's visa is ready.

When we filed for her Adjustment of Status, we also filed the I-131 for advance parole, but she received the greencard first and we were told at her interview we didn't need the advance parole, so I assumed we wasted the money. We never did receive any paperwork from the I-131. This whole thing is just a huge CLUSTER F***!

That said, I am enormously grateful to those who have shared their experiences coming back into the U.S. with a greencard!

Thanks!!

26 Jul 2005 NOA1

19 Oct 2005 NOA2

02 Jun 2006 MARRIED

Timeline
Meauxna,

I assume you refer to the pinned section of this forum, i.e. Adjustment of Status (Green Card) General Discussion. I've read through it and haven't noticed anything in addition to that posted in this thread. Is there something else? Can you post the section to which you refer? I'd really appreciate it.

My wife and I intended to bring our son back to the U.S. through a DCF and she left the first week of January; I am joining her Tuesday. We bought our tickets last November without knowledge of the Adam Walsh Act and that it would prevent us from a DCF after Jan. 23rd.

I filed an I-130 with the Laguna Niguel Ca. Service Center yesterday, but according to their site, it might take 6 or more months before our son receives an immigrant visa due to backlog. Prior to Jan. 23rd, the embassy told us 2 weeks with a DCF.

We are discussing her staying in her country until our son's visa is ready, but I have become very wary of inmigration and am leaning toward bringing my wife back until our son's visa is ready.

When we filed for her Adjustment of Status, we also filed the I-131 for advance parole, but she received the greencard first and we were told at her interview we didn't need the advance parole, so I assumed we wasted the money. We never did receive any paperwork from the I-131. This whole thing is just a huge CLUSTER F***!

That said, I am enormously grateful to those who have shared their experiences coming back into the U.S. with a greencard!

Thanks!!

Tom, this post is a lot more useful than your first one, and I'm more inclined to invest the time in the answer vs your first post. I hope you can appreciate the difference.

The part of the pinned post I was referring you to is this one:

In the mad visa chase, we often overlook the end goal, Permanent Resident status. This is what allows a non-USC to live, work and travel freely in/out of the US indefinitely. Many times, people don't know what their rights and responsibilities are as PRs, or what documents they'll hold to show that status.

I highly recommend the following links for the foreign AND US partners.

Rules about what you can and can't do as a PR.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B4.pdf

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?

If you've been married for less than 2 years when you become a PR.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1____ (links may be munged)

Welcome to the United States:

A Guide for New Immigrants

OK, seems a bit hokey, especially since you've got a USC partner to show you the ropes, but take a look! There are things in there that I never even considered!

(removed from USCIS website) <---- this is actually still on the site. Look in the Citizenship section

The areas that I think should be of interest to you are the page Now That You Are A Permanent Resident, especially the Maintaining your PR status section.

As to your current situation;

Bummer about the DCF, I know.

BUT, you should very seriously reconsider the 6 months to IV story you've got. Looking casually at the timelines posted by VJers, I think it will take longer than that. CSC are posting 6 months processing for the I-130. After that, it goes to the NVC for a couple of months, and then on to the Consulate, where there may be an additional couple of months. You can find out more about Immigrant Visa processing by reading the Guides, and the IR/CR forum.

As far as the "wasted" money, I do hear what you're saying, but it is like an insurance policy. If your wife's AOS had been one of the 2+ year flavors, you'd be happy she had that travel document. The turnaround of AOS cases in a mere 6 or so months is a very new development--you should not be upset that she got her PR status so soon--it is worth a hefty premium in additional fees, IMO. Ask anyone who is still waiting for their AOS to complete months or years after their interview. I give you this for perspective only--if you disagree, please don't tell me. :)

Since you have now provided some context for your original question, I'm more comfortable saying that a stay of over 6 months will break the continuous residency requirement for naturalization. I don't know if US citizenship is a goal of your wife's, or what her urgency is for that, but we postponed some traveling and living in our 2nd home abroad until my husband naturalized (we did go abroad for several months at a stretch while my husband was a PR). Now that he is a USC, we can go as long as we like.

A trip out of the US for 11 months, with home & child outside the US, and USC spouse as well---you are painting an entirely different picture. There is little quantified about abandonment of PR status, but I have learned that it is very fact-specific. One immigration lawyer puts is so: It is possible to lose your PR status in a single day, and it is possible to be gone for years and retain your PR status. Reading the entire Now That You Are page gives you a better idea of what is expected, but mainly, it's that the US is your permanent and primary residence.

Sure, lots of people probably never give this a thought, they go to their home country and return to the US every 11 months or so and get scanned in, and they probably retain their PR status. It would not be responsible of me, or anyone else here, to tell you that that is what YOU should do. You say you don't trust Immigration--what you should not trust is the myriad rules, tacked on laws and additional bills that have made our immigration law so insane.

All I can offer you is the information that is out there, highlight potential problems for you to investigate further and leave you to make your own choices.

That's what I did, took a conservative stance, and we're done and dusted. I'm normally much more of a cowboy, but I felt so responsible for this person that I brought over here that that is how *I* played it. Over the past 5 years or so I have read too many sad stories--I didn't want to be one, and I'd rather not lead you to be one either. Please understand that some answers here at VJ or elsewhere are & *should* be a lot more conservative than necessary in real life.

Let me know if you want more leads for research. I know of one immigration attorney who says he is a specialist in abandonment cases, but you might only want that in your back pocket. One thing he does often say is that it is a lot easier to deal with this *ahead* of time than when it's potentially too late.

Glad you asked? lol

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.